Shealor Lake Trail

Shealor Lake Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kyburz, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 833 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Not an easy hike if hills are your enemy. Still, the hike is very doable for someone like me who is still a hiking novice. So, take rest breaks as needed, and you're good to go! The trail is somewhat marked by small rock stacks, but it is easy to find yourself off the trail at times. Getting to the lake is pretty straightforward though, and it is quite nice. There are some bugs near the lake, but not so much as to take away from the experience. Overall, a great place for pictures.

Nice short hike to a nice lake. Mostly granite hiking with beautiful junipers and views along the way. Watch for cairns to mark the trail. Mostly exposed. Plan on sunscreen and a dip in the lake.

Great hike, I’m not in tip top shape so this was a tough hike for me personally. But it was worth every minute. Thanks to previous hikers leaving the stacked rocks as markers it was a east trail to follow. When we arrived there was a group camping next to the lake. But beside that we had the lake to ourselves. I will definitely be revisiting.

The hike was lovely. The water was a bit cold for me but my friend went in. There were people camping near the water and it looked like a lovely place to stay. Follow the stacked rocks and you’ll easily find a nice path.

Great short hike to the lake. Good spot for a swim and picnic (I saw other people swimming), but the water was cold!

Lovely up and down hike mostly on granite to beautiful clear swim able lake.. Exposed so best to hike on cooler days or morning...we liked so much going to hike it again tomorrow just to take another dip!

Beautiful and secluded. Very steep walk down to lake. Plenty of places to lay down and relax in the sun.

I hiked this easy but lovely trail a few days ago with my two dogs. The trail direction is mostly guided by cairns. Easy to follow. And with some beautiful vast views. This is a great trail for kids to be introduced to hiking, too. The weather is perfect and once you get to the lake you are going to want to take a swim. Bring a floaty! Also, A few wild flower sightings along the route. I will say that about two thirds of the trail is mostly sunny and rocky. So if you have larger dogs with you I recommend putting some boots in them. My large Dobie’s paws were a bit tender by the end of our round trip hike. I give this casual summer hike two thumbs up.

awesome trail i hiked it today. it can be difficult at times but it’s well marked and the lake is worth the hike. i jumped in and the water was amazing not too cold.

This was a very fun hike. The views are amazing and remarkable and well worth it. It is a bit tough and will put your stamina to the test, but doable and worth while!

Great trail to bring kids or your dogs to. Fairly easy trail.the wildflowers were very pretty and there was a lot of water everywhere. The dogs were happy and we were happy

Hiked 28 June. No more snow on trail. Easy hike for distance, moderate for the rocks and climb back up. Lovely views throughout and the lake is fun to explore. Good for families. There is a smaller lake a little further on as well worth checking out. Turn off for trail head is not marked but it is a small paved road across from west end of silver lake with a parking lot. Trailhead is not intuitive. Tip: walk in front of wooden sign, turn right, start walking, and you will see trail. The trail is well marked at the high point in the middle. If you get off trail on the way in, you can see shealor lake from the high point and just head for it. On way out, just go to high point and pick up the marked trail heading back to the parking lot.

Could have had better fishing...

My go to “short hike”. On a late spring through fall day, this trail is fairly easy to navigate. Once you summit, however, the trail can be a little confusing as many hikers have most likely paved their own path. Look out for the rock cairns. You’ll be able to spot Shealor lake from the top and the valley that separates highway 88 from highway 50. Also on sunny days I’m throwing caution that shade is sparse. Hiked Shealor on 5/10/19. Snow covers majority of trail. My pup and I trekked straight up the mountainside adjacent from the parking lot and down the backside of the mountain. Glacial blue water as the lake is defrosting/melting as summer nears. Gorgeous.

Beautiful trail! Steep elevation with loose rocks, so be careful if you have shakey knees. We took our dog and he had a blast playing with some other pups and wading into the lake. There were a lot of people there as well.

I luckily had the coordinates in my GPS for the trailhead as there is no service on that part of HWY 88. The trail is incredibly easy to veer off of, but if you love adventure and climbing rocks this is the trail for you. My 5 month old, black lab puppy was loving the rock hopping. The general idea (in case you find yourself off the trail) is go up and over the rock mound/hill. I will admit that I almost called it quits but each time I found the trail. Getting to the lake was absolutely stunning, I wish I could post a photo. I went early in the morning in late October and was the only one there. Will definitely make this trek again! I think I will download the trail map the next time though..

Great easy hike in. Beautiful area great for a quick hike, hiking out was a bit harder

Monday, September 24, 2018

This was a great trail with beautiful views throughout. I see that All Trails has rated this trail as “easy”; however, at the trail head it is ranked as “moderate” by the National Park. Moderate is a much more accurate ranking. It’s easy to lose the trail so try to pay attention to the piled rocks people have made to assist. Although, we did get led astray by this as well, given we took. a wrong turn and there were still piled rocks. I ended up downloading the map. Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Although this trail is (said) easy, it was not easy for me. First of all, there are very little shady areas, so, if you came here on HOT days, the temparature climes up due to the rocks. One of my dogs had hard time and I had to carry him on the return. I, myself, was really tired of going up and down rocks. It was not a pleasant walk at all. The lake was filled with people and there was no place comfortable for me to sit down and enjoy the lake. I will not come back here. One good thing was I met a really really nice young man who offered to carry my dog on the return and also showed me the way to go back. It was not easy to follow the signs for coming and going. without his help, I might have been stocked in this camp ground without camping equipment. I did not get his name. But, if he reads this comment, he would know who I am. AGAIN, thank you for your help. I wish I got his name.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Awesome short hike to a beautiful little swimming hole ! Definitely more incline on the way back than on the way there .

Monday, August 06, 2018

Not easy, I’d say more moderate with all of the hills. Great swimming hole. Beautiful hike.

Sunday, August 05, 2018

Although this hike is short I would not classify it as easy simply because of the terrain. I hike 15+ miles all the time and the rocky terrain of this hike made it a bit more moderate. Awesome hike back to a beautiful lake though! We loved it! Also, the off-trail portions of the hike are lined by stacks of rocks which makes it easy to know you are going the right way. Definitely doing this again and making a day of it or maybe even camping overnight.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Great summer hike, it was more on the moderate side. Steep rocky terrain with the elevation made it much more challenging than expected. Beautiful scenery and the lake was great for a swim. Definitely will be going back again.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

whoever rated this as easy is out of their mind. I walk/hike 5-7 days a week, and usually 3-7 miles. this hike should be rated as moderate. you go up the mountain and then all the way down on pretty rocky and steep terrain. it was a very pretty hike and the lake was perfect.

Friday, July 20, 2018

awesome short hike. great for a quick getaway with some friends and a couple of beers (pack in pack out). ☺

Saturday, May 26, 2018

Sunday, February 04, 2018

My fav. summer swim hole. Side note: I just passed the trailhead today and the parking area is plowed, year round access baby.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Great little hike, patches of snow and ice on the trail. At the beginning of the trail 3 trees came down blocking the trail, after the 2nd tree head straight up and you'll be back on the trail again. Bring trekking poles in the winter. Lake is frozen over. enjoy views of silver lake, Kirkwood etc.