Shealor Lake Trail

Shealor Lake Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kyburz, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

My fav. summer swim hole. Side note: I just passed the trailhead today and the parking area is plowed, year round access baby.

Great little hike, patches of snow and ice on the trail. At the beginning of the trail 3 trees came down blocking the trail, after the 2nd tree head straight up and you'll be back on the trail again. Bring trekking poles in the winter. Lake is frozen over. enjoy views of silver lake, Kirkwood etc.

While rated as easy the elevation makes a bit more of a challenge. Especially with snow and ice. The lake was frozen and there was a frozen waterfall making the hike worth it. as my husband put it "it is good for the soul"

My favorite trail so far. Right off the main highway. Beautiful view of the lake at the bottom. I feel the descent / ascents would be a challenge for small children. I had my 2 year old in a carrier and wished I had trekking poles, but will bring them next time because it’s definitely worth repeating.

Good, short hike. Although I'd definitely rate it at the higher end of "easy" to the low end of "moderate". The trail is very rocky, especially on the back side of the hill. At times it can be hard to follow, so look for the little stacks of rocks. I don't know if that's a courtesy of the forest service, or other hikers, or just something neat people do, but those little stacks of rocks seem to be about every 50 to 100 yards and do well to keep you on the trail, lest you end up taking a more arduous path as I and my family did.

Was a great hike for my family! 2 adults a kid and dog!!

Going back!!

Incline with a pack makes you just tired enough that the lake is even better.

Enjoyed this hike. Beautiful views loved the lake. I would definitely rate this more on the moderate side than easy though.

Whomever rated this easy need to rethink the rating. Short but the climb is moderate with lots of loose gravel, granite and rocks. Bad knees and old dogs is not recommended here. Lake is amazing though, our new favorite swimming hole.

Great hike. Loved it. Only thing is the rating. It says easy here but I think it is more moderate.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Shealor Lake seems to be a popular spot on the weekends, mostly day hikers. If you're planning to stay, there aren't many established campsites and parking is scarce. However, we hiked in early on Saturday, spent one night and had an awesome time.

Friday, September 23, 2016

A favorite for sure for a quick getaway when you really need to just get gone for a little while. Easy hike in and although up hill on the way out, it's not too steep. Disperse camped here and spent the day climbing around the waterfall and boulders. Great time! Here's our full write up. http://hustzkergies.blogspot.com/2016/06/shealor-lake.html

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Definitely a beautiful hike with great views! Very steep and rocky down to the lake (climbing down and around granite boulders/ground) Glad I didn't have my kids with me... even the dogs got tired hiking up and over the hill. I would rate it moderate not easy... Mileage easy... Terrain moderate to hard. Wish I would have had poles. Very hard to stay on trail.
Would definitely do again!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Nanci Werner and Lauraine Vannoy

Enjoyed the views. Poles were helpful.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Did this twice now. Very beautiful. Not a hard hike but you have to keep an eye on the switchbacks. Older dogs may have a hard time.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Good day hike! Easy to loose the trail on the way back out.

Friday, August 21, 2015

Short and sweet hike. Loved it up here! It's pretty easy to get lost, just follow the stacked rocks :)

Monday, August 03, 2015

Beautiful views of Silver Lake and the Sierras. Beautiful little lake. Perfect for a quick hike in and out.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Very fun hike and well worth the drive from Sacramento. The hike in has a small incline then downhill. The hike out is uphill. Wear sunscreen and shoes with good traction.

Friday, June 19, 2015

Great up and down hike. We saw a racer on the way. Only a couple of other people at the lake. Great relaxing hike on our way up to Hope Valley.

Monday, June 01, 2015

very good first hike for a warm up to a busy summer of back packing. Took my grandson there over memorial weekend . he loved the hike & swimming in the 60 deg water .nice rocks to jump into the lake from. 2 decent camp sites that we will use later this month. not near kyburs but across the hwy from silver lk on 88.nice trail head parking .easy navigating with some basic orienteering skills.Well worth the effort.

Monday, April 13, 2015

It's an amazing place for such a short hike. We went in early April and there was a little snow in the shady areas but a very manageable hike. There is a bit of route fining required, but just keep your eyes out for the cairns and you'll be fine.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Nice trail, keep an eye out for the little rock pilings marking the trail. Not necessarily easy, but fun!

Saturday, March 28, 2015

A nice short hike. Fair as far as beauty along the way, really pretty once you reach the lake. There weren't many people, which made it nice and relaxing. Good for dogs.

rock climbing
Tuesday, March 10, 2015

awesome climbs in area

Saturday, August 30, 2014

I love this trail. It is slightly trying for new hikers and a great view with a nice swimmable lake. Not crowded at all. Not restrooms or water sources. Loved it

Saturday, August 30, 2014

I don't know how this trail is rated easy when there is a sign at the actual trail that says moderate. It was definately beautiful and the lake was great and we met some great people along the way. I have to say this is definately not a beginner trail. Just because it's only 3 miles does not mean it's easy. Great trail, beautiful scenery, friendly fellow hikers, a lake you can swim in and a lot of different types of terrain to hike on. I absolutely have a sense of accomplishment after this trail, especially since I am a beginner and it was not as easy as it was said to be. Hike on!!!!

Saturday, September 07, 2013

It's a nice hike to a pretty lake, though the trail is not well marked after the first mile. If you have a map--or just take a phone-pic of the map at the trailhead--you'll figure it out (approach the lake from the high-side (S/SE). There are some great spots for camping beside the lake, and friendly little lizards all over the trail on the way there (pics).

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

I would consider this the best initiation hike for Sierra newbie hikers or newbie overnight backpackers. It's 1.5 miles in and 1.5 out, so 3 miles total roundtrip.

There is a little bit of everything lovely on this trail. Pretty views, hiking over boulders/granite, native plants, and last but not least a reward at the end of the trail..the lake. So bring a lunch, a beer, or whatever floats your boat while taking in the peace & beauty. Went July 2012 and we were the only ones...

For overnighters, there is a great spot next to lake for camping. Would go again if there was a newbie in our group or for a short day hike.