Shaver Lake Trail

Shaver Lake Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Shaver Lake, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

beach

Parking: Turn into the camp and keep going down until you are where the trail begins on the app. At that point there is a small (fits ~3-4 cars) dirt parking area on your left and a gate on your right. Went around 10am and there was like 1 car there but by noon the area was full with 4 cars and 2 cars on the other side of the road. Easy to miss if you aren't looking at the app because you can go too far and hit the boy scout camp. Went during labor day weekend.

Walk; progressively downhill as you go in Not steep, barely noticeable. There are cut trees and a trailer at the beginning of the trail. Trees aren't super tall so it wasn't super shady. At the last part of the trail there are many ways on to the shore line. I went in through the first trail my dog can find. Found a nice shaded spot to swim with my dogs. Very clean. Lots of boats, jet skis

Shoreline: areas of pepples and areas of smooth sand+ gold flakes. So barefoot/water shoes base on where you are. The shoreline is a little murky when your dog runs through it but gets deep after a few feet.

So I personally like this place because it is isolated. By the time we left, there was 5 families all gapped out. If you want to rent out boats, that's at the North part of the lake. You can just drive and park right along the shore. But it was hella crowded.

Me and my three kids went up for the day. They enjoyed the hike and was excited to find the lake shore at the end of the trail. We went swimming and cooled down in the water and had the beach to ourselves. Beautiful scenery. Only thing that took away from it was all the construction and cut down trees at the beginning of the path.

Great Hike!!

This one is great for family. There’s a bit of dust and construction on the trail but after the first quarter mile or so it feels more like a hiking trail and less like a road. The trailhead can be a bit tricky to spot. The gate on the right is where it starts. Worse case is you’ll do what we did and drive to the end to the Boy Scouts camp before realizing we went too far. There are a couple of beach accesses once you get to the lake shore that are great for swimming. After those the trail appears to continue. Stopping at those first two spots and heading back came out to exactly 2 miles.

Amazing hike! Access was very easy. Parked off the side of dirt rode and started trucking. Went off trail through a meadow and spotted deer and cattle. Once we got down to the water we created a shelter made of branches and enjoyed the refreshing water. Highly recommend this trail for families!

Could not find a specific trailhead but the map really helped us! It’s basically a dirt road- WELL worth the short hike! The lake is absolutely beautiful. There’s not really parking but we just parked on the side of the road. It was only my husband, dog & I and we didn’t see anyone else while on the hike! Once we got to the lake we jumped in since it was pretty hot out. The lake was so refreshing.

Easy enough for my four year old and beautiful view of the lake.

This was a fun and easy hike for me and my dog. We arrived about 9:30 am on a Saturday and were the only ones there. Since it was the middle of summer there were plenty of bugs and lots of dust. It was an awesome view once u got down to the beach. We will definately go back again.

Great walk...dusty trail....beautiful views

Worth the hike. I only say this because there are some areas without shade on the trail and the dirt was too hot for my dog to walk on so I had to carry her during small sections. The lake was empty at the end of the trail. Beautiful views and nice beach with clear water. We saw no one on the trail which surprised me because it was beautiful.

Nice easy trail! Great if you have kids. It ends at the lake and the view is amazing.

There is no vehicle access from Dinkey Creek Road to the start of the Trail.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

This is an easy walk/hike that leads down to the lake. It is down hill all the way so save some energy to walk back up hill if you spend sometime in the water.

The parking area is not marked and only has enough room for about three cars, but I haven't seen more than just one other car there so far.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

couldn't find the trail and ended up at Boy Scouts Campground lol

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Nice easy trail to a beautiful beach on Shaver. Our 4 year old had fun on the way there, struggled a little bit on the uphill on the way back.

Monday, June 26, 2017

First hike with my son and pups. Went really well....my 3 year old walked the whole way.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Really fun but short hike. Lake is amazing with beautiful sandy beaches. Great place for the family

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Great morning walk to a beautiful destination

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Easy fun hike. Couple trees have fallen in the road and couldn't drive it. Leads down to the lake and creek

Thursday, May 04, 2017

off road driving
Monday, February 20, 2017

I originally went for a hike but ended up 4-wheeling the path instead. It snowed the week before and the rain created an extremely muddy path that my jeep was able to navigate with ease. I was able to pull off on the side of a bank and hike the several feet of snow that covered the creek. It was so much fun and my dogs loved it!

Friday, August 26, 2016

The current Tree removal has effectively removed all the perimeter road markers east of the road that takes you down to the Fishing club. So, be VERY aware before heading out. IT's very torn up by huge tractors, debris everywhere and we were really turned around a few times without ANY markers left and NO trail. West of The fishing Club road appeared to be just fine!

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Shaver lake is my favorite place in the world. Hiking, camping, swimming, fishing, boating-- you name it. I have so many memories of this lake from my childhood and it has a revered place in my heart.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Too many people trash what would be beautiful

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Start at the marina and ride mountain bike around the lake. One side is dirt roads the other is pavement through town. Great ride early morning.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The lake is nice but is not hiking-friendly. You can walk over some of the steep rocky/sandy shoreline but there is no official or groomed trail. However, there are several horse trails and a place to rent horses.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My family has owned a cabin between Shaver and Huntington lakes for 90+ years. I grew up spending summers here. It is a nice lake that is better for boating and beach fun than for fishing, especially this year (2012) since the lake had to be completely drained for repairs to the dam. If you want some fish, head up to Huntington lake, or wait a couple years for the planted fingerlings to grow to a legal size.