Shaver Lake Trail is a 3.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Shaver Lake, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.2 km Elevation Gain: 99 m Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Note: As of October 2019, the road to the trail is CLOSED however the trail is accessible. You will have to walk the road to get to the trailhead.

My wife and I went on Mother’s Day and it was great. The entrance was closed so you have to park outside the campground. (Adds distance to the hike) Not too many people, dogs should fine. We took a detour to nearby small waterfall and that was the highlight of the hike . I would say this closer to moderate but, I think it was because of the detour we took. Scenery was very great (although the first bit had burnt logs scattered throughout). I would do this again.

There was patches of snow but did fine with tennis shoes. It did get slippery and we all had a tumble or 2. I did see snow shoe prints even though I didn't see anyone on the trail. The scenery was very pretty and Serene. The other reviews here was what really prepared is for this hike. There is parking across the camp entrance, and a 1/2 mile walk to the main entrance of the trail.

closed

Road to Camp Chawanakee was closed so we had to walk the road to get to trailhead. Scenery was ok

closed

Road to Chawanakee was closed so we couldn't do the hike. Not sure if it's just closed for the season or what. We were bummed!

Forgot to quit recording at 24 mins. Really easy and nice. Well shaded. Didn’t see anyone else on the trail or st the beach!

Good short hike along a dirt fire road. Beach access in a secluded area, but small beaches.

Good little hike to do with the family. The beginning of the trail isn’t too nice, managed burns are held in this area. But walk down about a quarter mile and it gets better. We ran into a deer, that was cool. Definitely take the tiny detour down towards the granite rocks there you’ll find a creek.

CHAWAWNAKEE READ D.W. BELOW REVIEW FROM 2018. 168 -> Dinkey Creek Rd-> Camp Chawanakee. Trailhead is about half way up the dirt driveway for Camp Chawawnakee. Random spot, you'll see a dirt turnout on your left and a swinging iron road gate to your right. That's the trailhead. Free No Trailhead Sign Easy walk AT stroller recommended(last 100ft not stroller accessible) No bugs Limited parking No bathroom (1 mi up dinkey rd) Swimming (shaver lake) Really nice trail. Dense vegetation, ferns everywhere, flowers in bloom, very green. Basically it's a walk down to the lake and back. About a mile walk on a dirt road then the last 100 ft or so is a small dirt path down the hill that takes you to the water. More like 4.5 stars and that's only because the lack of amenities. -DB -KB

Great little hike to do with the family. We found a nice little beach area that was totally secluded on a Friday evening where we let the dogs run around. Very ideal for a picnic. The directions through AllTrail will take you right to the trail head, but keep in mind it isn’t marked. Just a small pull off to park the car and a metal gate at the start of the trail. Will definitely bring my 4 little kids back here again.

We love this trail! It had plenty of shade and we were walking on soft dirt majority of the way. There were wild flowers on all sides of the course for us to enjoy. The trail is short and leaves enough time to sit back and relax at the lake. Parking is limited so get there early. We were there for three hours and only saw one other couple on the trail. We also took our four year old Maltese and she loved it out there too.

Great trail for all levels. I didn’t have my kids, but it would have been an excellent trail with a nice lake at the end. Pack a picnic and the swim suits for a dip in the lake at the end of the trail.

Dirt road leading to the lake, a lot of evergreens, have not met any other hikers there

Short easy hike with a beautiful view of the lake at the end!! Peaceful, Quiet, will definitely be back soon.

perfect view

This was perfect for what I was looking for. A secluded hike and beach access for my dogs and I. It was an easy walk with lots of wildflowers and a beautiful sandy beach at the end. Don’t tell anyone though, let’s keep it a hidden jewel!

Wed Jan 02 2019

Well maintained. Lots of things to do. Gets very busy in the summer and on weekends. Rentals available for various water sport activities.

Mon Dec 24 2018

Very short, but sweet. Beautiful waters and it doesn't seem like too many people go here

Mon Sep 03 2018

Parking: Turn into the camp and keep going down until you are where the trail begins on the app. At that point there is a small (fits ~3-4 cars) dirt parking area on your left and a gate on your right. Went around 10am and there was like 1 car there but by noon the area was full with 4 cars and 2 cars on the other side of the road. Easy to miss if you aren't looking at the app because you can go too far and hit the boy scout camp. Went during labor day weekend. Walk; progressively downhill as you go in Not steep, barely noticeable. There are cut trees and a trailer at the beginning of the trail. Trees aren't super tall so it wasn't super shady. At the last part of the trail there are many ways on to the shore line. I went in through the first trail my dog can find. Found a nice shaded spot to swim with my dogs. Very clean. Lots of boats, jet skis Shoreline: areas of pepples and areas of smooth sand+ gold flakes. So barefoot/water shoes base on where you are. The shoreline is a little murky when your dog runs through it but gets deep after a few feet. So I personally like this place because it is isolated. By the time we left, there was 5 families all gapped out. If you want to rent out boats, that's at the North part of the lake. You can just drive and park right along the shore. But it was hella crowded.

Mon Aug 20 2018

Me and my three kids went up for the day. They enjoyed the hike and was excited to find the lake shore at the end of the trail. We went swimming and cooled down in the water and had the beach to ourselves. Beautiful scenery. Only thing that took away from it was all the construction and cut down trees at the beginning of the path.

Tue Aug 14 2018

Great Hike!! This one is great for family. There’s a bit of dust and construction on the trail but after the first quarter mile or so it feels more like a hiking trail and less like a road. The trailhead can be a bit tricky to spot. The gate on the right is where it starts. Worse case is you’ll do what we did and drive to the end to the Boy Scouts camp before realizing we went too far. There are a couple of beach accesses once you get to the lake shore that are great for swimming. After those the trail appears to continue. Stopping at those first two spots and heading back came out to exactly 2 miles.

Sat Aug 11 2018

Amazing hike! Access was very easy. Parked on the side of a dirt road and began from there. Went off trail through a meadow and spotted deer and cattle. Once we got down to the water we created a shelter made of branches and enjoyed the refreshing water. Highly recommend this trail for families!

Sun Aug 05 2018

Could not find a specific trailhead but the map really helped us! It’s basically a dirt road- WELL worth the short hike! The lake is absolutely beautiful. There’s not really parking but we just parked on the side of the road. It was only my husband, dog & I and we didn’t see anyone else while on the hike! Once we got to the lake we jumped in since it was pretty hot out. The lake was so refreshing.

Mon Jul 23 2018

Easy enough for my four year old and beautiful view of the lake.

Sun Jul 22 2018

This was a fun and easy hike for me and my dog. We arrived about 9:30 am on a Saturday and were the only ones there. Since it was the middle of summer there were plenty of bugs and lots of dust. It was an awesome view once u got down to the beach. We will definately go back again.

Sat Jul 14 2018

Great walk...dusty trail....beautiful views

Sat Jun 16 2018

Worth the hike. I only say this because there are some areas without shade on the trail and the dirt was too hot for my dog to walk on so I had to carry her during small sections. The lake was empty at the end of the trail. Beautiful views and nice beach with clear water. We saw no one on the trail which surprised me because it was beautiful.

Sun May 27 2018

Nice easy trail! Great if you have kids. It ends at the lake and the view is amazing.

Fri Jan 05 2018

There is no vehicle access from Dinkey Creek Road to the start of the Trail.

Sun Jul 23 2017

This is an easy walk/hike that leads down to the lake. It is down hill all the way so save some energy to walk back up hill if you spend sometime in the water. The parking area is not marked and only has enough room for about three cars, but I haven't seen more than just one other car there so far.

Sun Jul 23 2017