Shadow of the Giants

Shadow of the Giants is a 1.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Oakhurst, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy 1 mile loop in thick forest environment with many Giant Sequoias. 1 mile loop with about 12 Giant Sequoias but only a handful of really big ones. Easy hike and really nice thick forest. Much different than most of the forest around bass lake. Many informative signs along the hike to educate people about the history of the Giant Sequoias

dirt road isn't near as bad as people are saying ...I saw a mercedes car get all the way back no problem..
just go slow it's fine and we'll worth the trip! A++

An easy early season day trip. The many times mentioned vehicle with clearance is no joke. Deep ruts abound. The trail itself was easy even with a cardiac condition and a bit too much extra me. On Saturday May 27th, 2017 it was nice and cool, and not crowded.

Beautiful but I highly recommend a vehicle with a lot of clearance for the dirt road leading to the trail.

4 stars just to post the warning: highly recommend driving up with a high clearance vehicle. Long dirt road with deep ruts prevented us from getting there in our little economy rental car. We didn't want to risk damage to the car or getting stuck after the first few tricky spots.

Great hike very easy and the kids will love it. Awesome Grove. A must see.

We opted to check this trail out on Black Friday and it was a great experience. Beautiful, quiet, and an easy trail. I loved that I could bring my dog, too. We spent about an hour there between walking and taking photos and whatnot. I was a little concerned about the unpaved road with my Toyota Camry, but it wasn't at all bad (I just wouldn't even think about it after a recent rain or snow). It was an easy trip from the valley and a much better use of time than Black Friday shopping!

Beautiful hike.

Awesome nice short hike.

A bit rocky to drive to- definitely recommend an SUV or truck of some sort.

Easy, casual walk. Great for a nice informative walk with the kids or to relax in the great outdoors. Not a workout spot.

Pretty easy hike. I liked the informational plaques that gave descriptions of the trees. Beautiful forest. Getting there was a bit rough. My car is not meant for rocky roads since it sits a little low...nor are my tires meant for this kind of trip. Just drive carefully and slow.

Was excellent. Shaded trail with clearly marked trails with informative spots along the way.

Nice and easy and quiet. Pretty

This is a wonderful quiet hike off of the beaten path. The forest is lush and the surroundings are exactly like a lot of trails in Yosemite, but without the crowds. There are some steep areas but nothing too bad. The Giant Sequoias are so magnificent and awe inspiring. We will be back again and again.