Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Seven Teacups Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kernville, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 561 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Seven Teacups is a short section of Dry Meadow Creek just before it joins the Kern River. The canyon is mostly used for canyoneering but the upper pools are accessible without gear. This canyon is best visited in summer or fall, or whenever the flow is not extremely high as there are flow-related challenges. The majority of the hike is on the relatively flat "River Trail", with the finish being quite scrambly up the Dry Meadow Creek. Follow the tips and be safe.

Nice walk along a river with the sound of rapids for much of the hike. Note that this trail goes further than the 5.2 miles stated in the hike description. Trailhead map does not give distances but the board schematic w/ landmarks and of course the actual trail goes at least a mile further although a bit overgrown in places. The "waterfalls" and "tea cups" aren't so visible from this trail but looking across the river to the west up where they are is still a nice view and you see parts of the cascading water.

The hike along the river was nice, but if you're hoping to see the seven teacups like me, you'll be disappointed since you cannot see it on this trail. You'll see a waterfall across the river, which is where the teacups spill into the Kern River. I think there might be a different trail that take you to the teacups, but it's not this one.

Heavily trafficked trail (full parking lot) along the Kern River with great rocky river views along the way. NOTE: to whoever spray painted the tacky basic garbage all over the rocks along the way please remove it or don’t do that again anywhere else. No one is inspired by you “making your mark” on our public forests as it detracts from their natural beauty.

Wear hiking shoes and don’t carry a lot of stuff.

Beautiful hike especially early in the mornings. Read ALL tips before you lose service. I thought the teacups were on the trail side of the river and started scaling boulders at the trails end and almost fell which would’ve been very bad. They are on OPPOSITE side of the river which was running much too fast to cross. Lots of pretty wild flowers along the trail and many people with fly fishing poles could be seen.

Nice easy trail. Great for a day hike or beginner backpacker. Campsites are busy but available if you arrive early enough. Water was up and very strong, dangerous.

Great hike along the North Fork of the Kern on the River Trail. The hike is mellow with not too many ups and downs and there weren’t too many people. Great exercise and very scenic.

recorded Seven Teacups Trail

Rocks for the first half mile or so, then it’s mainly gravel/soil. Hike above the falls for views of all the cascading waterfalls - I counted five.

I love this trail because there’s great access from the highway, it’s clean, and you’re completely immersed in the beautiful north fork of the Kern River from the start. Be warned: Warm temps this winter have hatched the ticks early. My girlfriend and I didn’t have any issues with them but my two pups must’ve picked up at least a dozen each. A day later and we’re still finding the last of the little demons in their coats. 2/20/20

Beautiful trail with multiple hike-in camps. Couple down trees, requires climbing over and crawling under. Make sure to check your dog for ticks after the hike. Even with Frontline, my dog had 5 ticks on her.

recorded Seven Teacups Trail

BBC

Great river view. Saw a rattle snake on the actual trail, I suggest wearing pants. There are lots of loose rocks and a few boulders to climb over. We went during the summer so there were plenty of bugs and high temperatures so bring a lot of water.

Read the tips section... duh

Sadly a little misleading, teacups are on the other side of the trail route. But still an amazing route right next to the stream. Liked it!

This trail does not take you to The seven teacups. You can see them across the Kern river at the 2.3 mile mark. Trail is 90% in the sun .

Some shade but hot in the summer. Terrain was rocky, super fun hike if you don’t mind climbing over rocks.

Thu Jun 06 2019

Great trail with minimal elevation gain but plan on doing it early as you will lose most shade in the afternoon. We took our 2 golden retrievers and they loved it but watch out for water dogs as if they jump in, they might not make it out. Very buggy but not unbearable. Overall great hike!

Mon Jan 14 2019

Be careful bringing your dogs to this area, THERE IS TICKS! We went on the side where the old mine trail was (opposite side of stairs to Johnsondale trail) and after the trail went to the river we continued straight because we thought “it is supposed to be hard” and ended up being lost on the side of the mountain climbing up and down the mountain, we did not make it but we plan to go back now that we have done research. We now call it the lone survivor mountain

Mon Oct 15 2018

This trail is beautiful but is not difficult. There are a few granite sections to maneuver over but I’d take my kids 8+ on this trail.

Mon Sep 03 2018

I just made it and is cool.

Sun Aug 12 2018

We’re so disappointed not to see the teacups! We tried three different places to cross the river and couldn’t do it without a dry bag (water shoes and bathing suits would be good too). We saw rock climbers with ropes, helmets, and wetsuits up the canyon, but we didn’t figure out how to get there even after reading all the tips. It’s a nice hike along the river but pretty hot in August.

Tue Aug 07 2018

This trail is in a well visited part of the Kern river, plan to get there before all the campers as parking is limited to about 20 cars. The trail is very mild as it follows the trail with at most a 3-4 hundred foot gains and loss. In order to get to the tea cups one must ford the river. Following the route leads to a calm area to swim/float across. One can access the first tea cup easily. If visiting the other tea cups I Highly recommend climbing shoes if not taking repelling gear. In order to see all seven cups one must be skilled at boldering, repelling and general mountaineering. I forgot to turn record off while driving back the route was 6 miles round trip. Enjoy!

Sun Jul 01 2018

Trail had great views and not much elevation climb but the uneven path is what made this the most difficult. We took our 8 year old daughter and everyone was pretty worn by the end. I would recommend bringing snacks and stopping along the trail to see views on the river. Also, it was difficult to see the teacups unless you were able to cross the river and has access to a drone.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Watch your feet the trails is littered with rocks. Made the swim to the waterfalls in 2015 and 2016. I would NOT attempt a river crossing in 2018, We got in and could not cross and had to float down to a spot to get out. Stay out for 2018. If you try it, go up past the teaccups until the river bends and try there. Wear a life jacket. I"d stay out until next year and try again.