Seven Lakes Basin via the PCT

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(25)
Shasta-Trinity National Forest

Seven Lakes Basin via the PCT is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Shasta, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,309 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is one of my favorite hikes of all time! The entire hike was beautiful. Plus it was fun to walk through patches of snow (definitely glad to have the downloaded trail map)! There’s ample parking at Gumboot Trailhead and the road up to it is completely paved (if a bit narrow at times). We spent most of our time just staring at Lake Helen — the final two lakes are nice, but the real showstoppers are the spectacular views of Shasta and the surrounding lakes!

Dog Hikers: This trail is not for you. This is an extremely hard trail for dogs feet (from the rocks). The drive in was great, blacktop all the way to the trailhead. The trail was beautiful and had incredible views of Shasta and Castle CrAigs. You have to vear off to get to the first lake, I passed it without knowing on my way down. From the first lake to the second lake the decent is steep and is the worst kind of rocks (loose and softball size). It is a great hike, I would recommend it! Maybe stop at the first lake.

Gorgeous trail from FS40N45 to porcupine lake. Views are beautiful.

Gorgeous trail just don’t follow the directions that they give you, you need to go to the Gumboot trailhead which is not where these directions take you, they take you to the Gumboot camping area

We Started at Gum boot trail head. Our goal was to hike to Lake Helen. It is clearly marked and easy to follow. You are on the PCT trail for most of the time. It was a perfect day, some snow and frozen ground but not enough to worry about . There were no bugs. We only met a few others out enjoying the beautiful day. So many great views and viewpoints.

Nice trail! Once you’re on the seven lakes trail it’s mostly downhill. Beautiful views of Mt Shasta and surrounding mountains. Very loose rock on lake trail last 1/2-3/4 mile. Stayed one night on Upper Seven Lake. It’s a beautiful little lake with fish!

I've hiked, climbed, run, struggled east coast, west coast and some other international destinations. This trail is in my Top 5 of all time. Why? 1. Not very many people. (less than 10). 2. We saw 2 dogs the entire hike. (no offense, I love dogs. Leave them home.) 3. The views of Mt. Shasta and other peaks were amazing. 4. Weather was flawless. 5. It was easy.

Wed Aug 02 2017

This hike was fun.. only went to Lake Helen, dogs were tired from the hike the day before. A few ups and downs, some shale. I wouldn't take kids on this unless they were at least 11-12 years old. When the hike says, "easy," I wouldn't necessarily agree. Worked up a good sweat. Went the 3 miles out in about an hour!

Mon May 30 2016

Great

Mon Oct 21 2013

On Saturday October 19, 2013, four of us hiked along the PCT to the Seven Lakes Basin. I don't think I ever saw a cloud in the sky all day long. The view of Mt. Shasta was amazing. We didn't stay on the trail the whole time because we decided we wanted to climb and scramble up the rocks so we could get better views. When we got to the top of Many Lakes Mountain, we could see the Castle Crags from where we were. We could also look down on several of the lakes- Cliff Lake, Lower Cliff Lake, Upper Cliff Lake, Cedar Lake, Mumbo Lake and Upper Mumbo Lake. This is a hike I will want to repeat again!!

Sat Jul 14 2018