Serrano to Sycamore Canyon Loop Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

beach

End of July hike; while the creek beds were bone dry, a good majority of Serrano was buggy and green with poison oak. I wasn't wearing any repellant (I know...) and I still made it out alive with most of my flesh in tact. Serrano makes for a really beautiful hike so long as you're not spending most of it trying to run away from biting bugs. If you like green, it might be hard to appreciate the part of the trail that becomes Old Boney - especially in dry grass fields that seem to stretch for miles. I think Old Boney was probably my favorite though, mostly because there were less zealous biting bugs, bu that doesn't change how awesome this trail really was. The climb up was challenging, but there's such awesome desert-y flora on the way. I'd do this again! But with more water, bug repellant, and a mallet for the persistent bugs who won't die.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

I hiked this in the late summer, and while a decent hike, it wasn't very exciting or picturesque. I will return this spring in hopes of a huge wildflower bloom with my good camera.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Wife and I decided to make the Serrano Trail (out and back) as a loop instead. As always, Sycamore is an easy hike, but as soon as you turn onto Serrano it becomes an overgrown single track as it follows a dry (during summer) creek. Look out for poison oak as its abundant but avoidable. After about 1.5 miles or so the trail begins to climb out and becomes more open. The views on this trail change so much that you don't get bored. Nice relief from all the crowds on many of the local trails. Old Boney trail is not marked but just head towards the left when you come to the junction. Pretty much all downhill from here as you will connect to Sycamore Canyon Trail.
Bring lots of water as you will be out for some time. There is no cell service once you leave the Sycamore Canyon Trail so plan accordingly. Not a trail for sneakers as there are many tough sections. Glad I decided to wear my boots instead of trail shoes.

Sunday, September 10, 2017