Serrano Ridge and Laurel Canyon Trail

Serrano Ridge and Laurel Canyon Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Laguna Woods, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Excellent hike, and a great workout!! It took us 3hrs 15min to complete the full 7.6 mile loop. The Nix Nature Center is very nice, so definitely pop in for a map and/or to say hi to the rangers before your hike. Clean bathrooms as well. They even have wildlife sightings listed on a board inside. I feel like my $3 parking fee goes a lot farther here, rather than at the other staging areas. The rangers took time to talk to us about mountain lions and bobcats, which was very helpful. I've always been afraid to meet one on a trail, but they put my mind at ease, letting me know that the last reported ML sighting was in 1998 for this area. They even showed us videos of wildlife that had been taken nearby. Love the rangers here! They obviously care deeply about Laguna Canyon Wilderness and enjoy their careers.

The hike itself was fantastic. Well-marked trails/signage, and with the help of the AllTrails app, made getting lost almost impossible. We saw about 6 other solo hikers and a couple of mountain bikers (we went on a Friday). It was neat to go under the 73 and connect to the other side. You get an excellent mix of terrain - starting out with a good climb to Serrano ridge with awesome views of OC, then down to a more covered area on Laurel Canyon, and then alongside rocky terrain with huge boulders. The last climb over the mountain back to the parking lot is another steady uphill, so you will get a good workout with this hike.

Bring plenty of water (I went through an entire Camelbak bladder plus an extra bottle) and sunscreen, and have fun!!

Hot in the summer. Hike early and bring plenty of water. Beautiful views.