Sequoia Trail

Sequoia Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 603 feet Route Type: Loop

Park at the Jay Campground Parking area

Although the air in Sept is dry, overall it's not bad.

go clockwise

Not exactly the wilderness experience we were expecting. Even though the trail was lovely, we couldn't get into it because it ran along the road.

The redwoods are stunning and the trail was well marked/maintained. What I wish we knew before we went is that you MUST park at the information center and all hikes must start from that point. Other starting points for other hikes in this park are reserved for campers only, apparently. Therefore, you are somewhat limited in your trail options. It is the time of year when mosquitoes are out in full force, but they seemed extra prevalent on this hike. It is true that you walk along roads for part of the hike, but they are roads that only lead to campsites, not main roads, so there wasn’t a lot of car traffic to see/hear. Despite all of this, I really did enjoy the trail which I agree is moderate (although on the easier side).

The trail was pretty moderate to easy. The waterfall was pretty but the trail was along side of the road almost the whole time. We had to walk threw a few camp sights right next to tents. As well as ended up walking threw a parking lot with trash cans mid hike.

Very chill trail. Went solo! A lot of facilities on the way (benches, bathrooma, showers). Insects and nature encountered were stunning (watch out for those banana slugs).

Th redwoods were great and the trail was well maintained. As far as the trail goes for hikes it was okay.

You must stop at headquarters and pay $10 fee for day use. Then they will advise you on trails and where to start. Not to hard. Went counterclockwise. It’s just above a road and goes through several campsites. Waterfall was very beautiful. We sidetracked a bit, but was able to backtrack to finish trail. We were able to see several banana slugs.

HUGE redwoods! Beautiful trail but some of it is closed and you walk on a not busy road. still worth it though. :)

closed

closed

It's a bit slippery now due to rain but overall it's a good one.

Trail was perfectly clear today with none of the obstructions I saw mentioned in other reviews. Waterproof shoes are nice to have in the muddy parts.

Beautiful trail about 2 hour trip, easy hike, a small incline for about 5 minutes after that smooth sailing under shades of redwoods. It can be quite muddy, but not the whole way, only tiny spots. Enjoy!

There are dead tree lie in the way, and some part of the trail is really muddy. Restroom in the middle of the trails are all locked. It’s close to the road so noisy from the traffic has ruin the ambiance. Plus, it’s kinda boring and not challenging. I know lots of people love the trees. But I’ve been to Muir woods north to SF and Mariposa Grove near Yosemite. Those are way better sequoia woods than this one.

For my first time going hiking it was a great experience. For people who aren’t used to cardio this is a great trail. It was really muddy and slippery due to rain but over all it was great.

This was a very nice hike and I’d definitely recommend it (I have a high bar for 4/5 stars). Huge, beautiful redwoods and a nice waterfall. It was not all that strenuous — my 5-month pregnant wife and I did it in a little over 2 hours. Note that it’s listed as a little over 4 miles but it was actually a little over 5, at least if you come back via the Skyline to the Sea trail.

It had rained the day before our hike so the path was muddy otherwise everything else was fine. We finished it in a couple of hours.

This is an absolutely beautiful hike! I'd never been to Big Basin Redwoods State Park before, and this was a wonderful introduction to it. It was so green and fresh, and your hiking beneath the redwoods almost the entire time. There is one stretch up a bit of rock that's steep and in the sun, but it's relatively short. The day I went was right after some rain, and it was MUDDY. I've marked other trails muddy before, but this one was by far the worst I'd seen. I was fine, as I was wearing my hiking shoes (Oboz Sawtooth Bdry). Most people were in tennis shoes, however, and were having a hard time navigating it. It's not enough for me to dock a star, personally, since I was prepared.

Wonderful trial,of easy to moderate difficulty. I enjoyed walking through huge redwood trees a lot. It's a serene and peaceful trail to walk on. A must if you want to experience redwoods.

The first hike I've done in a long time. My favorite part of the trail is the redwoods after reaching the top of slippery rock.