Learn more

Sequoia Trail [CLOSED] is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 4.3 mi Elevation gain 603 ft Route type Loop
Kid friendly Hiking Nature trips Bird watching Running Forest River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Blowdown Muddy Closed No dogs
Description
Waypoints (3)
Facilities
Getting There

As of August 2020, this park is currently closed due to wildfire until further notice. See here for more info: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30009

As of June 2020, the waterfalls on this trail are closed and the trail is only one way due to COVID-19. Please visit the park website for more updated information. Park at the Jay Campground Parking area.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (568)
Photos (936)
Recordings (494)
Completed (1296)
Angela Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 20, 2020
HikingFeeGreat!

This was a great trail and had directional arrows for COVID safe hiking. Not too populated. Great variety and hooks up with the waterfall trail.

Grace Hwang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2020
Hiking

Pretty flat trail all along, except 5min short steep section. It is chill hike, fully shaded

Demetrio Cruz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
Dean Guzman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2020
HikingBugsFeeGreat!

Amazing trail with lots of shade. Tough incline in the middle of the trail but the timing is just right. One of my favorite trails ever.

Magali Fassiotto
View Magali's Recording
Mervin John
View Mervin's Recording
Jose Cuellar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020
View Jose's Recording
Danny T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
View Danny's Recording
Caitlyn Bradford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020
Tina Risley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020

big basin is my favorite place on earth.

Sarah Shelley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
View Sarah's Recording
Aoife W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Easy, shaded, mainly flat hike through the trees. Operating counter clockwise only due to covid. Saw a surprising number of people not wearing any masks.

View Aoife's Recording
Kedar Raje
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
View Kedar's Recording
Joel Ravi
View Joel's Recording
Michelle Romero
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
HikingGreat!

One of my favorite hikes so far. Gorgeous trees provide shade for the majority of the hike. Fallen trees provide a bit of adventure, as does trekking up slippery rock (good workout there). No panoramic views, but the sequoias make up for it imo. $10 for parking. I went on a weekday around 1pm and did run into other hikers and families, but wasn’t too bad. Truly gorgeous and fun.

jed Leonard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trees. Trail was easy to follow, except near the camp grounds. The falls are closed due to Covid-19. I measured a little more than 5 miles which is a bit more than described. I really enjoyed the whole hike. My wife was a little disappointed in the areas near the campgrounds because there were more people and some car noise.

View jed's Recording
J K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Walking through the sublime redwood forest is memorable by itself. The trail is shady and mostly flat & easy. The observation deck for the water fall is closed due to the social distancing rule, but there is not much water anyway. Would be a 5 star trail if it has a vista point as highlight of the hike.

Shreyas Sharma
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

One Way loop beware,Although the trail was great. Since we took the wrong direction we the starting of the trail was super nice and towards the end it was pretty much pretty boring ! Moderately exhausting if you keep the pace.

View Shreyas's Recording
Nat T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
HikingBugs

I haven’t gone hiking in a while and this was the perfect beginner level hike for me and my partner. We are trying to start building our endurance to do harder hikes. This one was flat pretty much the whole time except at Slippery Rock which had a short steep incline for 1-2 min (no loose rocks, just a flat big rock with holes here and there where indigenous people used to use as a mortar and pestle!!!) We arrived at the park at 3pm and there was no line. Bring your mask and $10 cash. Parking was a little tough, you basically just park in the entrance after you pay at the booth and there’s additional parking up the way and along the road—I think the people who got there at a reasonable time were still on trails but we found one eventually. We started the trail at 3:30 and came back at around 6pm. We did the full loop (rather than stopping at the falls and turning around). Everyone was sooo respectful on the trail, putting their masks up and being very apologetic when if they didn’t have masks. It helped that the rangers were encouraging and thanking us for wearing them. This was as positive experience compared to a lot of other hiking spots where no one is wearing a mask!!! The falls stairs were blocked off for covid, but You Can see a little cascading fall and the opal mineral pool below if you squint real hard...it’s a sad view LOL so manage your expectations and just enjoy the nice stroll through the redwoods baby!! PS: YES bring mosquito spray. They’re everywhere!! I got 5 bites Also they have chocolate soft serve at the store which was very good LOL

Armando Montero
Hiking

Be ready for the summer mosquitoes if you camp in big basin, but awesome trail! BE READY FOR THE SLIPPERY ROCK CONVERSION!!!

Nikita Bonavate
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2020

Great relaxing hike

Bridgett Marion
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful Redwoods! Overall a nice trail for my family to hike together. For a moderate trail I would say it was pretty easy-going except for an uphill stretch of rocks where you climb for about 100 yards of open space with no shade. I’m guessing that’s why this trail is considered moderate and not easy. I never found the waterfall, and no one seemed to know where it was when we asked. We must of missed it when following the trail signs. I did very much like the signs along the way, assuring us we were going in the correct direction of the loop,but just wish the signs to the waterfall were more visible. Lots of camping areas and places to sit for a moment as well as plenty of bathrooms. A very clean, well-kept park. Couple important things to note: the Big Basin Hiking area has lots of trails so have a game plan. The parking area across from the headquarters was very packed and cost $10 - bring cash! Otherwise you have to park in the 15 min space and pay for parking at the main cabin. I read an earlier review that said to park at Ray Campgrounds. I noticed that would have been a smarter plan but didn’t see that Campgrounds until I was already parked - maybe you will have better luck! Also note, bring bug spray! The mosquitoes are plentiful! I got bit upon getting out of my car - seemed they were waiting on me. I had forgotten my spray but luckily someone on the trail was nice enough to offer some.

Deepa Saluja
Hiking

Very nice around 5 miles hike . All shaded . Went with my family yesterday . Just try to put mosquitoes repellent if you are sensitive about bugs . It was not heavily trafficked

Christina Price
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

I did this hike last week...Good trail, mostly shaded. Lots of huge redwoods! So everyone keeps recommending to go early and I think now most people are showing up early. It was PACKED at 9:30 when we arrived. Took us 45 minutes just to make it to the little pay station. When we left around 2:30 there was zero traffic waiting and way less people. I flipped my logic and showed to a different trail today (was also recommended to go early) and I went later.. crowded at the beginning because people were leaving but then I went almost 2 hours without seeing another person!

Raymond Lui
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2020
HikingBugs

Not many people on the trail. There is a section of the Sequoia Trail before reaching the falls where you walk right along the car road which it's too satisfying. The falls is still closed. Not everyone was respecting the one-way route for this trail despite the clear markings that it's a one-way, but most people wore masks.

Taylor Jaffe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 5, 2020

very disappointed by this trail. it mostly follows the road, at least close enough that you can hear the cars go by. and there are no view points. it does go by the waterfall (closed due to COVID right now) and you go past some huge redwood groves.

Melinda DiGiacomo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Nicely shaded trail. Goes by Sempervierin Falls, and Slippery Rock, and then loops around the mountain back to the starting place. We went mid day Saturday, won’t go back on a Saturday! Too crazy crowded. I knew better! But nice hike.