Sequoia Bayview and Big Trees Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(203)
Joaquin Miller Park

Sequoia Bayview and Big Trees Loop is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oakland, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length1.7 miElevation gain209 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashKid friendlyHikingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingRunningForestViewsWildflowersWildlifeOff trail
Waypoints (0)
Photos (488)
Activities (215)
Completed (783)
Theresa Donahoe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 8, 2021
Hiking

I walked counter clockwise today. I think I like it better.

Duane Pinkerton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 28, 2021
Hiking

If you look at our recording, it looks like we can’t follow directions, but in our defense, the trail wasn’t obvious. Lesson learned, when you reach a clearing, check the map to make sure the path you’re taking out is the correct one. :)

View Duane's activity
Brian Cheung
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 16, 2021

Nice. Mom-friendly

View Brian's activity
Mary Newson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 28, 2021
View Mary's activity
Angus Wolf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 27, 2021
View Angus's activity
WIlliam Crosby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 14, 2021
View WIlliam's activity
Stephanie McKenna
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 26, 2021
HikingGreat!

Love this trail! But be very careful where you park - next to the trailhead is best, or on the opposite side (near Roberts Pool). We only hiked for an hour and our car window was smashed (even though we had nothing in the car and they didn’t take anything)

Trevor Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 17, 2021
View Trevor 's activity
Theresa Donahoe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 21, 2020
Jennifer Perry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 6, 2020
Hiking

Overall fun. A few parts we got a little lost and the part going to the loop wasn't easy but enjoyed it

View Jennifer's activity
Camila Burgos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 16, 2020
View Camila's activity
James Hodson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2020
View James's activity
Theresa Donahoe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 13, 2020
Hiking

Loved this. Parked at Ranger Station (safer) and picked up Sunset Trail to Sequoia Bayview to Big Trees going counter clockwise. So glad I recorded because I missed a couple of turns, but figured it out. I walk in the early evening and it isn't as crowded although there were still quite a few bikers whizzing past me. Big Trees runs parallel to Skyline on the way back. Some may not like that, but it makes me feel safe since I walk alone.

Susan P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Love that trail! BEWARE- many broken car windows- don’t leave valuables in your car!

View Susan's activity
Liz L
Hiking

Great spot to hike. Brought little kids (3-6-8). They were able to complete the loop. WARNING: our car was broken into. They thought the milk bag was something of value and threw it on the road. Remember to keep all things locked in trunk. Even the milk bag!!

Sophia Ramirez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Trail is great.. but many bikers don’t wear masks and our car got broken into even though there was nothing in it. Be careful our car was one of multiple that were hit within two hours.

View Sophia's activity
Chloe Duwe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

I’ve done this trail twice and I highly recommend going in the morning when it’s less crowded and more parking is available. I also noticed this particular route through AllTrails is not limited to the Sequoia Bayview trail; it leads you onto the Big Trees trail to loop around. This is why I was so confused by the markers (I kept trying to stay on Sequoia Bayview without realizing)! Either way, you should really download the map beforehand to avoid the confusion. I even overheard some folks on the trail saying the markers were frustrating. Someone stopped me to ask for help with directions. Pros: beautiful, misty and cool in the morning. Bright and stunning in the afternoon. Lush woodlands. Delicious scents of eucalyptus and bay leaves. View of the SF skyline at some points. 20 minutes from downtown Oakland—accessibility is a big upside. Easy hike but still feels rewarding. Cons: can get quite crowded which takes away from the serenity. Lots of bikers (who were mostly respectful). I’d say 90% of passersby wore masks, but not all.

Stacey Nordwall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

The pros are that this is a beautiful and relatively easy trail. The cons are that it is not particularly well marked. Also please keep in mind that the facilities are likely still closed. Though the bathroom on this trail was open it was basically a horror show. and as mentioned there are mountain bikers who don't necessarily call themselves out on the trail.

View Stacey's activity
Laura Cody
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful spot, but very busy on a Saturday morning. Lots of mountain bikers.

View Laura's activity
Courtney Sams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
HikingMuddy

Go counter clockwise through Big Trees trail in order to avoid losing track of the trail directions. There are fewer trail markers towards the end this way but you’ll be walking parallel to the road. It can be pretty muddy if it’s rained recently but otherwise this is a very well maintained loop. Lots of young mountain bikers to watch out for- share the trail!

Marie Carney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

I’m working on getting back into shape and this hike was ROUGH. Trail has a lot of ups and downs so elevation gain is misleading. I did counter clockwise which I wouldn’t recommend. Though you get the hardest part out of the way! Also had no problems with the trail markers going that way. Though I kept doubling checking my gps because so many reviewers said they did. There were tons of mountain bikes and mud and rocks on the trail. During one downhill I lost my footing and fell. Luckily didn’t hurt myself. Definitely make sure it’s dry if you try this one!

Emily Fassler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 15, 2020
Hiking

Love this trail but there were SO. MANY. BIKERS today.

View Emily's activity
Emily Fassler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020
Hiking

I love this trail so much. Surrounded by gorgeous trees the whole way. I agree with previous reviewers: some of the trail markers are hard to find, so I was grateful to be able to follow along on the AllTrails map. Happy to see lots of dogs and families on the trail. Less happy with all the bikers who almost never communicate/call ahead and just barrel on through. Otherwise, a really wonderful hike.

View Emily's activity
Melanie Marshall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2020
Hiking

I love this hike. It is beautiful and the redwoods really deliver. I had an easy time with signage until the very sharp turn at the end that puts you on the Sequoia Bayview trail (going counterclockwise). Also about halfway through it meets a parking lot and then rejoins a few feet away. But it's beautiful the whole way and not too steep.

Diana Martinez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 9, 2020
Hiking

i see what people mean when they say there's poor signage. at first, everything is clear and obvious, but about 1.1 miles into this trail, it forks, big trees turns into big trees and... big trees! they're all named the same thing! zoom into the map and you'll see what I mean. at this point I stopped paying attention and went around the big trees loop and ended up at the 1.1 mark again! i went in a circle! anyway, i love this trail. if you only have an hour to spare, it's especially great in the evening.

A B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 23, 2019
Hiking

Lovely trail! Super well maintained and super views. Only complains are the amount of mountain bikers and lack of clarity in some areas of where the trail is. There are a lot of small shoot off trails which make it a bit confusing; we had to keep looking at the phone to make sure we were going the right way. The trail is mostly shaded which makes it wonderful for a hot day.

Diana S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 26, 2019
Hiking

This was a great hike with the family. I give it 4 stars instead of 5 only because we had some trouble reading the markers and went off track for awhile. It is also full of bikers so be careful to listen for them--they sneak up on you quickly, and we had to keep the kiddos close by so they wouldn't get run into.

Chelsea Tucker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 13, 2019

Nice little hour long walk (including getting lost because alltrails lied about where I was on the map.) Came here after a rain and it was damp and green. Yes, lots of bikes. Some screaming kids and strollers. But if you're in the area looking for a pretty stroll it's great. Many other trails around too but wasn't feeling adventurous.

Emma Dunstone-Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 28, 2018

The Bay View Sequoia trail is great for walking with wide flat paths. The Big Tree trail is mainly a mountain bike trail and is narrow and steeper. We took our kids aged 6, 3.5 and 1 month. It’s not a stroller friendly trail so we had the baby in a front pack. The older kids managed to walk the entire trail include a detour we took by mistake adding an extra 1km. Watch out for the Big Trees turn off to the right - we missed it. Overall, really great trail with lots of shade