Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Sentinel Dome and Taft Point Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(411)
Yosemite National Park

Sentinel Dome and Taft Point Loop is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,122 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. Please note, there are temporary road closures in this area over winter time. Please consult the park's website before visiting.

Hiked here in September and it is one of my all time favorites. Not super difficult and you hit so many great viewpoints and landmarks.

Taft point is one of my favorite hikes!!! Pretty easy trail and the views are amazing!!!! My favorite part of this trail is The drop down after getting to the top. Looks insane and really creepy to sit on the edge but feels amazing! gave the chills There are tons of spots to take awesome Instagram worthy photos :) loved it!!!

Hiked late October. Fantastic. Took us several hours to complete the loop but we were often stopping for the views. Highly recommended to complete the whole loop!

Great trail - we made it before the roads were going to be closed for the winter (25/11/19). Not hard at all, no need for hiking poles, the odd incline and decline, completed within 2 hours.

Honestly my favorite trail we hiked in Yosemite. We started around 2pm (mid November) and went counter clockwise. Taft was a little busy but most people aren’t hiking the loop so it thins out after that. The views of the valley were incredible the whole way. We made it to Sentinel Dome just in time to watch the sun set over el cap. Definitely hike this trail if in Yosemite!

Definitely a family friendly trail. So many spectacular views to stop and enjoy. Although the hike is only 5 miles it took us over 3 hours to complete due to all the picture perfect moments. We arrived close to 9am and had no problem getting a parking. As the day progressed the parking lot was full.

Good moderate hike. View from the dome is one of the best in Yosemite.

Great trail. Took around a half day with some stops along the way.

The trail offers many views of the major sites in Yosemite valley, although the waterfall as dried up when I came (Nov. 2). Colors are more muted as expected this time of year, but the trees were still pretty green! I started on the Sentinel Point side and saw most of the great views close to the beginning and end of the hike. I'd say the hike is accurately rated as moderate.

Hiked this counterclockwise with my wife and four kids with the exception of the extra mile to Taft point. It was an amazing trail, one of my favorite all times. The views from the dome are incredible, as are the views from the trail. I love the combination of views, mossy trees, and giant boulders. We started at 9:30 this morning, another early morning hiker going the other way saw a bear, but we didn’t see it. As an added bonus my 3.5 year old daughter made the entire loop without climbing on my back!

Taft-Sentinal Loop.

Was well worth it. We Hiked to Sentinel Dome, back to trailhead, then to Taft Point.

Max views of Yosemite for minimal effort. A must do from Glacier point.

Definitely recommend doing the loop, the side closest to the valley is way less travelled and has beautiful views of the valley and El Capitan

By far my favorite trail of our trip. We hiked from Sentinel Dome, down to Glacier Point and then back up to Taft Point. Amazing Views. The trail from Sentinel Dome to Taft Point was fairly easy with neat rock formations. We made it to watch Sunset, which as many have recommended, it's worth it. For Oct. there were few hikers on the trail but several up at the top. The veiw is spectacular, but not for the faint of heart. Our 5 and 12 year old enjoyed looking over the edge...but I kept close tabs on them.

this was just so good! very manageable, maybe when you go up for sentinel dome it gets a little difficult but it only takes 5 min, so you can slow down as much as possible. rest of the trail is so good!

This was an awesome trail. We started at 9:00 and finished around 3PM. We added on sentinel dome and did the full loop instead of just our and back. Moderate hike and some hard inclines but stick with it because the sites are amazing! We also saw 3 coyote, a deer and a bear and it’s cub all along the trail. If you see a bear DON’T Run. Just be loud and keep moving. It was amazing to see all the wildlife as we weren’t expecting it! This is hike you do NOT want to miss!!!

Great views! I’d definitely recommend it! Lots of shade, gets steep in places and easy in others! Worth it if you have the token

Hike counterclockwise for the views and sunset, though it is a more challenging hike. sunset with the 360 degree view is a 10/10

Best trail of Yosemite for views of the valley

Really, really beautiful all the way around. We went clockwise and agree with other reviewers that it would have been easier to go counterclockwise. Not overly strenuous nonetheless. The first mile and a half of the hike was my favorite! Beautiful wooded scenery.

Top 5 treck ever

This trail is ranked as moderate but I would say it is more on the upper end of easy. Definitely go counter clockwise and it is much easier. A must do trail for everyone.

Easy hike. Nice views. To do counterclockwise seems better.

Just incredible! I'd actually recommend looping around the sentinel dome rather than the standard out and back as it makes for a much more interesting trail!

Truly amazing views of El Capitan and Half Dome!!! The hiking trail was breathtaking!!! Even ran into Two black bears, a momma and her cub! Epic!

Amazing views!

Loved this trail! We went to sentinel dome first and then continued on to Taft point, which I’m glad we did because you get most of the elevation gain out of the way in the first mile. Beautiful 360 view of the park from sentinel dome, and sweeping valley views from Taft. Be safe out there, folks!

The trail is quite easy and scenic. It’s much easier to start at sentinel dome and then get to Taft point. We spent 5 hours just taking our time because there is much to see! High recommend!