Sempervirens Falls Trail

Sempervirens Falls Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 262 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

An easy stroll on the Sequoia Trail leads to the picturesque Semperviren Falls. Dogs are allowed in the campsites, picnic areas, and on paved roads only.

I will go back when it’s not a busy weekend during summer. Because the trail is next to a road, you hear and see a lot of cars. And, there were more people than we’d hoped. The platform at the falls was crowded. Nonetheless, my niece got a great long exposure shot of the falls.

Good trail. We went two days after a rain and there were 3 or 4 muddy sections with one being a bit dangerous. Bring trekking poles if this is your situation. Other than that, the trail was in good shape. We ended up walking back on the road next to the trail. The waterfall was running very well and there were a lot of people on the trail and at the falls.

Hardly a waterfall and you walk next to the road most the time

My friend and I went on 04/16/19. It was a little bit muddy since it rained on Monday. Definitely a good easy beginner's hike. This hike is a good way for getting the momentum going for future moderate to hard hikes in the future.

The trail got quite muddy. We walked down to the side of the road that the trail runs along and walked to the fall all the way up. On the way down once we hit the main road it was too busy to walk along, so we went back to the trail.

Very quiet for a weekend. Not a lot of people on this trail. Pretty flat all the way through. Falls were very pretty, inaccessible due to restoration but you can still get pretty close. Would totally do the trail again.

The fall is not rushing but a nice even flow right now.

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

This trail is a little boring, and the water fall is too small.

Friday, June 15, 2018

Great little hike with my kiddos this afternoon. Made it to the falls and back in about 2.5 hours. It can be done faster, we just stop a lot and explore and take photos along the way.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Good trail to do with kids. We got to the falls, took Shadowtrail back down right into our camp, so maybe 4 miles total. Very do-able if you’ve got little ones.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Nice easy trail - as evidenced by many families there on the weekends. Takes about an hour and change to make it up to the waterfall from the HQ. The waterfall isn’t that great but a nice marker to hike up to and take a light breather. It’s a nice day hike to try out in the Santa Clara / Cruz area. I’d rate it around 3.5 but will round up for family-friendliness and decent parking availability for all.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Trail too close to the road. You spend a lot of time watching your footing due to all the roots, etc., so be sure to stop once in a while to look up at the fabulous trees! Saw several gray squirrels and a deer VERY close to the parking lot!

Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Go early by 8 or 9 to have the trail to yourself. We hiked all the way to the waterfall without seeing anyone and had the view on the lookout point to ourselves. Started to see a lot more hikers on our way back.

Monday, March 26, 2018

Yes it runs next to a road. But as with most trails in a very busy Big Basin Park? If you want less people and/or cars? Early bird gets the worm :). I made this short little hike on a Monday morning at 8 am and I got to enjoy the falls and only saw one other person in the hour I was there. I was already back to my car at 11 am and planning my next trail as I noticed the crowds and car noise finally beginning to build

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Probably closer to a 3.5. Nice hike for kids or someone just starting out hiking. Depends when you hit the trail. Going out very busy & some car noise from the road that runs next to the trail. Coming back however was much quieter so you could enjoy the Redwoods. Lots of places to stop and grab lunch

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Decent one

Sunday, September 03, 2017

paths were well marked and the rangers were knowledgeable

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Most of the trail runs alongside the toad. I agree with other reviewers that you may want to drive up to the falls(which are small) and hike another trail. I was disappointed because the trail does not have that "away in nature" feel.

Monday, August 14, 2017

It was an easy to moderate hike. It wasn't stroller friendly (FYI for parents w young kids). The waterfall was a bit lack luster as well as the scenery throughout the trail. However, it was a good work out and kids did enjoy running up through the hills.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Trees were misting, sunlight was coming through them, bannana slugs a plenty. This place is incredible.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Calm trail through the woods. The trail is easy and the road is right next to it.

Monday, July 10, 2017

easy hike, but you can also just walk on the side of the road to reach Sempervirens Falls

Saturday, July 08, 2017

Not the best hike. The trail followed the road to some of the campgrounds around the area. Some elevation but it wasn't bad. The view of the falls made it worth it in the end. Very pretty and suprisingly a lot of water falling over given it is summer. We followed the road most of the way back for a flatter surface since we had some older individuals with us and cut back onto the trail the last .75 mile or so. Overall easy for medium experienced hikers and relatively short.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Very nice trail. It was very easy and the waterfall was very lovely!!

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Great trail - easy if taking the Sequoia Trail straight to Sempervirens Falls. But I went on the Dool Trail to Middle Ridge Rd to Meteor Trail to Sequoia Trail back to the Park Main Entrance (the map you get from the Big Basin Information/Registration center is awesome). This ended up being roughly a 7 to 7.5 mile hike - nothing too crazy, a few uphills and muddy due to the recent rains.You get beautiful views of the ocean, redwoods, creeks, plants, and other mini-waterfalls along the way. This is just another route to see Sempervirens Falls if you want to challenge yourself a bit.

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Nice hike...not too steep for my wife. Little bit on the muddy side, given all the rain recently, but the waterfall was in full flow for the reason...not a bad trade-off!

Monday, May 23, 2016

It was a nice and small waterfall. Quick hike from my camp site.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Nice short hike. Bathrooms about halfway from headquarters.