Guatay Mountain Trail

Guatay Mountain Trail is a 5.3 mile out and back trail located near Guatay, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

You will need an Adventure Pass. If you don't have one already, a nearby market called Perkins Market sells the pass for $5.

Great hike with fabulous view. The only problem is finding the trailhead. The directions tell you to park in the parking lot and the trail head is 1/2 back, but that is not the case. Park in the lot and start walking back to where you see the sign on your left. Continue as the the road makes a right turn and just be for that look to your left carefully and you will see a silver gate. This is the trailhead. Continue on the trail until you come to a rusted railing on your left. Take this trail up. If you miss this turn off, you wind up at a silver fence in front of a road, turn back.

The trail is not for beginners. This is definitely a hard hike and should only be attempted by those who are experienced hiker. There are 3 serious up and down mountain trails that you have to do before you get to the top, hiking poles are a must. However, it is worth every hard step of the way for the views. Coming back down is a bit tricky since the rocks and gravel slip and slid under your feet. Bring plenty of water especially if you are doing this in the summer heat. There is no shade once you get to the first peak. From there on out it’s blue sky and open views. Will definitely do this one again.

I parked at a pullout before the parking area requiring a pass to just hike. The trail was a nice variety of terrain and inclines with sections of loose rocks and the last section to the peak being very steep . A beautiful view in all directions at the peak and nice breeze to keep the flies away for a while. A very good workout and nice total distance of about 6 miles. Very enjoyable hike with great views all along the higher part of the trail.

The beginning of the trail runs parallel to Old Hwy 80 and is not very interesting. Where it starts to ascend there are a lot of rivets from water run-off. By that time I was almost over it but it starts getting good when you get to the ridge line because you get some impressive views of Pine Valley, Guatay, and the I-8 Pine Valley Creek Bridge. As others have noted the hills are steep and rocky in places. Also quite a few bugs (flies, wasps and gnats). I would bring bug spray next time. It was also very hot this June afternoon so I would go early in the morning in the summer.

I would recommend trekking poles for this one. It's a bit steep at the end and slippery going down.

Great hike. I'll be back to do this one again. Beautiful scenery, challenging inclines. I brought my dogs and they loved it.

Nice hike. Trail going up is rocky. Last portion up is STEEP!!

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Not sure what the empty bullet case with string was blocking the trail. Nothing happen to me but be careful.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Late post. Last weekend, July 2, 2016 hiked Guatay Mountain Peak/Pine Valley Trail to the summit on a very warm day. Only saw a couple of hikers. This is a uphill, peak and valley hike all the way to the top. Approximately 0.50 mile before the summit is a very, very steep uphill, slippery rock trail and it was a doozy. I was pleased to see and sign the official peak log. Good hike with very little shade on the trail.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Yesterday hiked the pine valley trail up to Guatay Peak! Numerous peaks and valleys, of which consisted of steep uphill treks with one major steepness, loose rock hike up & up. Please to see an official peak log which always excited to sign! Registered 3.13 miles one-way to the summit and 4,863 ft. elevation! Only saw a couple of hikers on the hot dry weather!

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Pretty good and very steep at the end. Decent views. In the bag.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Very nice 1/2 day hike. 5.8 miles round trip from the car and back. Did it in 2.5 hours hiking quickly. Only saw two other people, so it's a nice quiet hike... Beautiful views and even a geocache around as well.

Monday, February 29, 2016

This trail was no joke. Steep inclines and loose rocks... But the views made it worth it!

Friday, July 10, 2015

This was my first hike.
This trail starts off quite steep with a lot of loose rocks. It was a great hike, we didn't quite make it all the way to the water. (If there was any)
I would also like to add that the trail is not very overgrown and it is longer than 3 miles. also be aware of bees!

Monday, March 16, 2015

I just completed this hike with a friend on Saturday. We started at 6:45am and finished at 1:15pm. This hike was not that difficult, but was just VERY long. There was no particular section that was strenuous besides the length of it. I enjoyed it and would do it again. Make sure when you come to bring lots of water!

Wednesday, March 04, 2015

I will definitely be going back and doing this one again. Not far from my home. Easy to navigate.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Hiked this trail today. It was a bit rough in some places. There was water which I was surprised to see in this drought. The cattle are out there right now. Made it stink to high heaven and the dead cow in the creek didn't smell very pleasant either. Defiantly have to take your time with all the lose rocks. Watch out for downed trees too. Goes all the way to Lyons valley road if your so inclined. I did 5 miles out and then back. Rock walls are very interesting. Fun day over all. Good boots are a must and a full 3 liters of cold water. Wouldn't recommend it for horses. They do use that trail but it's dangerous on horseback.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Hiked this as a kid, nice view and a good outing. Doesn't take too long to hike

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Let's just start by saying that this trail is for the adventurous. Its not too steep or scary; its just long and fairly uneventful, so you have to love being out in the open and exploring nature.

We got to the trailhead at about 9:00AM, but still had to figure out the whole adventure pass situation, so we didn't get started until 9:30AM. (Perkins Market sells the pass for $5 - they're close, friendly, and have what you need!)

We knew the hike would be a long one (alltrails says 13.8), so we basically just hiked until we knew wed run out of daylight. We got to Pine Valley Creek and turned around because we knew wed end up finishing in the dark, but didn't want to be too far out when the sun went down.

There wasn't too much change in elevation; the hike mainly ran along the canyon, deep into the mountain rather than up any of the mountains. A little while after we started the hike, we noticed little blue ribbons (with stamps of Texas on them!) marking the trail. Though we followed the blue ribbons, were pretty sure they didn't follow the same trail as mapped on alltrails, so we might have ventured off of Secret Canyon Trail. Its still safe to say that we were on somewhat of a trail, in the canyon, and it must be fairly secret because it was not heavily traveled.

Not sure who marked the trail, but its a good thing for these ribbons because some of the trail didn't look like a path at all. Its very overgrown and we ended up scrubbing through the bushes for a majority of the hike. My husband had jeans on, but my friend and I wore pants that left our shins exposed and they were completely scratched up (we earned those stripes!). We also brought our dog, a 30lbs schnauzer mix, who loved every second of the hike. It was a long one for him, but he didn't show it.

My husband and I brought over 10 liters of water for the three of us (the schnauzer and his two humans), and my friend brought quite a bit of water for herself. We also packed a lunch and lots of snacks. I get very hungry on hikes.

We finished at about 6:00PM, so we ended up hiking the last leg after sunset, but we did have flashlights so it wasn't too bad. After a long, full day of hiking (mostly squeezing through bushes), we were very glad to get back to the vehicle. Then we got burgers and shakes at Freds Old Fashioned Burgers in Alpine and limped home.

Friday, January 03, 2014

we got to Secret Canyon trail by way of Espinosa trail. Once they finish clearing the trail (about 4 miles in from the trail head) it will be enjoyable. Till then, get ready for some bush-wacking! The last .5 mile out is a steep finish.