Scorpion Canyon Loop Trail

Scorpion Canyon Loop Trail is a 4.5 mile loop trail located near Faria, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible year-round.

This is a decent hike in a scenic area. I would give it a 3.5 stars. If you are just wanting to see the famous scrub-jay as advertised in the NPS trail brochure, you do not need to do the entire loop. Start at either campground and travel counterclockwise. Within a few minutes after the group campground, you'll be in the canyon where the scrub-jay is frequently seen. There is very little elevation gain until after you leave the canyon.

The actual hike itself is not easy and the elevation gain is gradual if traveling clockwise. Our group seen numerous caterpillars, an island foxes (primarily in the campground), scrub-jay, and we heard beautiful music from unknown type(s) of songbird(s).

My parents, who are 66, accompanied my husband and I on this hike. My father charged on ahead with reconstructed /prosthetic ankle. It was definitely a continual elevation gain for the first half of the hike. The scenery was mostly grassland. I’d love to see it in the spring with wildflowers blooming.

Friday, March 24, 2017

This was a very nice trail that offered a lesser frequented loop into the inner portion of Santa Cruz Island.

We did this hike in early February. We saw one other couple.

We took the loop heading out from the ranch and towards the cove. Both the beginning and towards the end have a bit of a sustained incline, but I think the views in this direction make for a more special trip.

The trail goes up towards the edge of a cliff before heading back inland. There is little shade, so make sure you bring something to mitigate the sun.

There is some old farming equipment you can visit on a mini detour that's worth a trip.

On the hike we saw island foxes, crows, and lovely wild flowers.

When we were there the trail was very muddy in portions. Also there were very rocky downhill segments to navigate. Hiking poles and (depending on when you go) boots you don't mind getting very muddy would help.

Overall a very nice hike and experience.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Nice loop to see the interior of Santa Cruz Island, with nice views of Anacapa and across the Santa Barbara Channel. Best for a naturalist who is interested in seeing the unique species of plants and animals on the Channel Islands. Saw a couple of island foxes and a bald eagle. Can be done in either direction. One section is a steep and rocky (uphill when going counterclockwise, downhill clockwise) for those unsure of footing.

Friday, July 14, 2017