Scorpion Bay to Cavern Point Loop is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Santa Cruz Island, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November.

paddle sports

beach

cave

historic site

Lockers to keep animals out of your bags can be found at the trail head, along with restrooms. Pass the first set of restrooms to avoid the line, there is another set along the trail just a few hundred yards away.

Very easy. Great for picture taking and young kids. Nothing to worry about here :)

After lunch near the Visitor's Center, I went to the Scorpion Campgrounds. I tacked on some extra trail when I had been looking for wildlife around the campgrounds. I then went up the Potato Harbor Road then onto North Bluff Trail and Cavern Point Loop Trail. Great Views.
Virtual Treadmill video of this hike can be seen on my YouTube Channel, copy and paste link below to watch it. Thanks.

For an easier climb start at Campsite 22 and come back down the other side. Make sure you take water as there is no shade.

Some revegetation going on later in the trail. Beautiful panoramic views of the shore and sea.

Beautiful views

Beautiful short trip. We actually started at our campsite and hiked to Potato Harbor. Once there, we hiked over to Cavern Point and made it a longer loop.

This was my first time on the island and will most likely be back on a 2-3 overnight stay. The camping on the island is fantastic; however, campfires are not allowed.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Well maintained trail that is easy for kids and adults. The final decent with switchbacks is the only reason for a moderate trail difficulty. Views are stunning and the Island Fox are fun to watch. Take your lunch and enjoy the views at Cavern Point.

Friday, March 24, 2017

This shorter trail is a staple and must do for Santa Cruz.

We went in early February both for the wild flowers and to catch the tail end of the season when whales pass the island. Of which we saw both :)

There was maybe 6 other people on the trail, two of which were rangers.

We did the loop in the direction from the lower campgrounds towards the cove. The beginning and end have a shorter rocky incline, but it's not that bad. It then follows along the coast to give you lovely vistas. It was so green when we went and cloudy that it reminded me of Ireland! Downside was parts of the trail were very muddy.

While end route not only did we see a whale and wild flowers, but we also saw a lot of caterpillars, island foxes, and crows. I am guessing soon there would be equally as many butterflies. We also saw that special bluebird, whose name escapes me now.

As an aside, the warnings you get on the island about the crows and foxes are legit. They are quick and very smart. We watched a fox almost immediately unzip and try to break into the a rangers backpack he'd set down about 10 yards away. Also when we got back to our packs on the cove (which we tarped per their directions), we saw obvious animal footprints all over as well as zippers moved in attempts to get in.

Hiking poles would help as well as (depending on when you go) boots you don't mind getting very muddy.

This trail was wonderful. I loved it more than I expected!

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Not much of a hike, but it's a truly beautiful view!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Amazing coastal views vast open landscapes and sheer cliffs provide you with a sense of how small you are in the universe. Easy small trail. Recommended at sunset for sure

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Beautiful and with immediate elevation. Overlook is award winning. Ability to see dolphins, seals, sea lions and more.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

short hike with great island and ocean views.

paddle sports
Monday, January 18, 2016

We originally wanted to kayak to potato harbor but due to winds it did not got as planned. Never the less an amazing trip. Everyone had a lot of fun and was even able to do some snorkeling out of scorpion bay

Monday, November 27, 2017