Schabarum, Purple Sage, and Powder Canyon Loop Trail

Schabarum, Purple Sage, and Powder Canyon Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rowland Heights, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 803 feet Route Type: Loop

2nd time morning hiking here. took 2 short cuts in the middle where the electric towers stands, so we didn't complete the whole 4miles. the 1st shortcut straight to the towers is quite a challenge to easy hikers becuz of the high angle. it was almost 90F this morning so big bottles of water was needed due to not much shade on the way.

Even though not much shade it’s an awesome hike. It’s gloomy today so it worked out perfect for me and my dogs.

I loved

I went on a rainy Friday - parking was free and the trail was empty. I didn't see another person on the trail for the whole time. The rain did make the trail very muddy, and it was a very light rain, so I imagine it gets way worse in a hard rain. My main complaint is the weeds: the trail is overrun with black mustard, artichoke thistle and Italian rye. I'm super allergic to Italian rye so it was a pretty hard hike for me, as the rye basically took my lungs out of commission. There are some areas where they're restoring native habitat, so I hope they are able to move on and get the entire trial restored eventually. The trail is dog-friendly, but remember to keep your dog on leash and be aware of your surroundings. There was plenty of fresh coyote scat and I did see a rattlesnake on the trail. No fearmongering, just trying to remind you to keep your eyes on your pets. I didn't have great service on the hike; my maps and GPS didn't work right, and the trail isn't clearly marked, so I had to make a few educated guesses at trail intersections to make sure I was still on track. Except of course the one place it WAS marked, I managed to make a wrong turn anyway so who knows if that would have even helped. :p Overall, pretty "eh" trail. Views can be nice at the top, but to me, it's not worth all the non-natives.

It is dog friendly, but she did contract three ticks. The incline is pretty steep for about half the trail, and there’s no shade. Lots of tall grass.

Great hike! Mostly uphill, but great time of year with tons of greenery and wildflowers. Great weather and temp as we went a few hours before sundown.

A lot of incline in my opinion. Great hike.

Easy trail for getting back into it. My dog loved it.

Good

Park opens at 7am on the weekends and 6am on the weekdays! Really pretty views from the top and it was very well maintained. Depending on where you’re starting, there’s a bit of an elevation increase. It was hard but, it’s pretty doable. Then after that it becomes a leisurely walk. Only a few shaded areas and the rest are mostly open, so I suggest going in the morning! Moderate amount of foot work.

plenty of shade, horse trail. good work out

fullly exposed, decent incline, use the map its poorly marked

Love all the trails here

Nice trail beautiful views

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Easy to follow trail. I parked on Saleroso Dr to bypass the parking fee of the park. It was a nice cool day when I went and so I didn’t need to wear a sun hat. If you are doing this on a sunny day, wear a hat and sunscreen because it is exposed. I hiked this with my small dog and he enjoyed himself as well. There are horses on this trail, so naturally there’s horse poop along the trail. Overall, I will visit this trails again on my morning walks!

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Epic time! Beautiful wildlife and plants. Great for picnics...truly a fun time!

Sunday, March 18, 2018

good hiking trail for all level.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

Nice views a lot of eucalyptus trees nice aroma hill with different trails

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Good hike, easy to follow

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Nice easy trail. Parking was 6$ CASH ONLY so I just found street parking and that was super convenient. Took my dog. Cool spot.

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Saturday, September 16, 2017

My 7 year old son and I embarked on this adventure on a whim. It was his first hike and he loved it so much, he begged me to come back sometime soon. The views were incredible, the fellow hikers were very friendly, and we were lucky enough to see a rattlesnake! That, plus being able to see our house from the top, was probably the highlight of the hike. What a wonderful experience, and we will definitely be back.

Friday, July 14, 2017

This hike was nice. Would be much nicer in the spring I'm sure. Everything was dry and dead. Lots of people even on a weekday early morning.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Weather was perfect for a hike today. Alot of wildlife to see. Trails are great, not too difficult. Good for uphill training. I would definitely come back and try different trails.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Great hike. The first 3rd is pretty much all incline and has a lot of bugs but once you get past that point it's easy. When you loop around the radio tower there's the option to take the blue dotted trail. It's steeper but can be worth it. My group chose to go the long way around and had to walk through some vegetation. We had to end the hike a little early and didn't get to go out on the "tail" of the trail. This ended our hike at 4.2 miles, 804 ft, and took us 1.5 hrs.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Good workout & good view. I love the flowers! Will come back again to see the temple.