Sayles Canyon Loop is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Twin Bridges, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,345 feet Route Type: Loop

Mon Jul 16 2018

nice trail, lots of wild flowers and ferns. Not too many bugs right now but bring bug spray. lots of bugs at the meadows but that's to be as expected. about 2 miles in the trail is a stream and with some downed trees a little hard to follow but it's doable. We also had a bear encounter, two of them ran past us within 20 feet of the trail. But no problems they weren't interested in us, but bring your bear spray.

Mon Sep 04 2017

Good hike, just make sure you have insect repellent as there are some big mosquitoes through the vegetation there. We all got bit but it was our fault to not use repellent. Overall good hike! We did the whole loop, about 7 miles with some challenging uphill hikes. Beautiful views and it's nice because there was no one on the trail at all!

Sun Sep 03 2017

The trail goes up through a canyon and depending on which way you go your right next to a river for about 3 miles up then it veers straight up until you hit the PCT and then back down. Tons of great spots to explore and camp. Fires are allowed with permit as well as dogs. For a tougher challenge do the entire loop. I have hiked this trail dozens of times but only did the whole loop once. I usually do a day hike or camp over night about half way up then come back down. There are some black bears up there and I have been charged once but it was my fault I had brought our trash from camp back down with me without cleaning the cans of food. I usually bring my rifle but never use it. Your not supposed to shoot your gun there. You get a great view of pyramid peak many times along the way as well. Have fun!

Tue Aug 22 2017

Not a friendly place. Saw nothing but "no parking" and barriers to driving places. Never found the trailhead. Sierra at Tahoe is a nice place to ski, but not a great summer activities venue. Really disappointed. Recommend moving on to other trails.

Sun Aug 07 2016

Enjoyed the solitude, there were no other hikers on the trail, a couple of mountain bikers though. We set out to complete the loop and loved the hike, it could be divided into two parts. The first part was up hill and more challenging, we climbed 1500 ft. Typical hiking trail views and things to enjoy. When we reached the top we were in the Sierra at Tahoe ski resort. It was fun to explore that area. We came down the front side of the ski area, as the map directed. We didn't like the idea of walking the whole way back on the road so we got off trail, not advisable. We added difficulty and distance to our hike (and A LOT of stickers on our dog). If I were to recommend the hike to anyone, or do it again myself, I would suggest an out and back. Go up to the top of the ski area (that is the part of the hike that offers the best work out and the prettiest views), then turn around and go back out the same way. Otherwise you're just on a road most of the way back, which isn't interesting.

Wed Aug 03 2016

no views hella bugs

Mon Jun 27 2016

Beautiful hike from Sayles Canyon/Bryan Meadows trailhead. Very hard to find. From Highway 50 turn right onto Sierra at Tahoe Road. Drive 1.4 miles and turn right onto dirt road. Drive 2 miles to parking area and trailhead. Great for a weekend hike because almost no one knows about it. By the time we found trailhead it was afternoon so we did not do loop, just an out and back. We will go back again another day. Beautiful views of Pyramid Peak and Horsetail Falls and other vistas. Easy access to river and waterfalls along the way.

Sun Sep 27 2015

L

Sun Jun 28 2015

This was our first family hike and we had a blast. My 5, 4, and 2 year old had a blast following the trail markers and wondering up the trail. We made it to about a 1/4 of a mile from the base of the falls before it got too hard for the kids and we had to stop. We had lunch by a beautiful smaller water fall (there are many smaller water falls before you reach the base of the big falls). We had to carry my two year old out in a pack, but the 5 and 4 year old made it down just fine. All in all, we thought the views were awesome, the hike was easy enough, and we'll be back to finish the hike when the kids are a bit older.

Thu Jun 18 2015

This is always a beautiful day hike- small waterfall on way up.

Wed Jul 16 2014

On Friday 7`~10~14 a friend and I made this hike it was a good hike.......we ran into two back packers,this is no tail for that,they spent all day trying to get up half way......we tried to talk them down but didn't...

Wed Jan 22 2014

I hiked it last summer had a blast scrambled up the rocks to the top, was such a perfect day hike. I just hiked it last week on the 17th of jan was a perfect day for it, nice and sunny Warm and there was a little bit of snow at the top. I'm gunna hike it this summer and bring all the camping gear.

Tue Sep 04 2018