Sawtooth Loop Trail

Sawtooth Loop Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Truckee, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.2 miles Elevation Gain: 797 feet Route Type: Loop

Exciting relatively short trail with lots of loose & rocky stones in several sections..... definitely need fat tires if your going!

Largely flat and somewhat dull trail. Would be great for trail running and mountain biking but wouldn't recommend it for a hike.

I will definitely ride this trail again. Great trail for intermediate riders who have a decent level of fitness. Rode it with my 17-yr old son and had a blast.

Great new trail for us, recommended by locals.

Really nice trail to ride. Not sure if I'd ever hike it. Perfect trail for beginners to learn how to ride our terrain! Some up, some down, shade, sun, flow, rock gardens. Pretty easy ride overall. Had no problem staying on trail. Plenty of signs.... also helps to look for the no motorcycle signs.

Pretty much the same view all the time and lots cycling traffics but enjoyed the walk in the woods and got a good amount of workout!

Clocked 12 miles here. Trail is fairly easy with little elevation gain, no snow, and clearly defined pathways. However, there is almost no signage so at junctures it was helpful to have the alltrails map up.

good trail wish it was marked a bit better..ended up with about 14 miles..had fun and would love to do I again..

off road driving

recorded Sawtooth Loop Trail

Stuck to fire rods, still pretty snow packed. Glad for snowshoes. Beautiful wooded trail. Lots of birds & chipmunks. Agree snowshoes best.

I would recommend this trail for experienced hikers who are looking to get in the snow. As long as you follow the main fire-road six trail, you can hike about 5 miles up and 5 miles back. The snow was piled so high you couldn’t even see the signs for the trail entrance, but you can follow the orange markings on the trees (and stay between the blue markings as boundaries if you off trail a little bit). I would suggest snow shoes though. In the morning I was able to get away with my waterproof shoes, but by the time the sun came out and the snow started to melt, I was starting to sink through the snow. It’s definitely more physically strenuous walking through snow instead of the trail, so it serves as a good work out and a beautiful view of Truckee pine trees! It’s absolutely beautiful out there though, so go explore God’s beautiful creation and check it all out before the snow melts.

Nicely maintained but very rocky. Not difficult. Beautiful surroundings and vistas.

Monday, September 03, 2018

Pretty but mostly in trees. Pretty flat. Would be more fun on a bike than the hike.

Monday, July 09, 2018

Shaded and well marked 10+ mile trail run. Super fun and not too technical. Loved being in the trees.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

I hiked this but it looks like a great mountain biking trail. The first half was easy, second was moderate (more easy than moderate). I started at 8:30am on a Saturday and only ran into one other hiker and ~7 bikers so there were less people than I expected since this trail is so close to Truckee. Only one view point, but it's a nice walk through the trees. Perfect amount of sun/shade for hot days. Nice long hike but I was ready for it to be over due to the lack of views. I'm glad I had the AllTrails map since there are a couple tricky trail turns that aren't well marked.

Monday, June 11, 2018

Challenging bike ride! Make sure you read the signs, we ended up doing the second half of the trail twice. Lots of sharp rocks during the first part but it was lots of fun to go down!

Thursday, June 07, 2018

I’ve tried this hike twice in the past, but was never able to complete it. As they say, third times a charm!! I finally completed it a few days ago. Though it’s a bit of a lengthy hike, it was pretty moderate, so no having to worry about major uphill or downhill. Word of advice: pay attention to the trail signs!! I almost got turned around a couple times!!

Monday, August 07, 2017

Well marked trail if you keep your head up and pay attention (apparently this was not my strong suit today so I got a couple extra miles in). Good technical footing practice for trail runners. If you're prone to rolling your ankles or clipping your toes, take it easy in some sections. There's nothing very steep so you can keep your rate of turn-over up. Nice frequent shifts in the trail to occupy your mind while you're running. Fairly shaded for hot days. It was nice to see free running dogs on the trail but there's on water source so pack in their water! There's enough usage that you're not completely secluded, but it's also not so heavily trafficked that you're stepping off trail frequently for bikes. Only real drawback for us was that you could hear the highway still.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great hiking, lots of shade especially in the morning. I found 99% dogs off leash as well as my own two dogs. So no need to be on leash if they don't roam. Bring water however. No water source on the trail and the dogs get hot! Gave strangers' dogs my water several times as the owners neglected to bring water. Poor dogs!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Some excellent views. Moderately challenging for a beginner. Also being that I'm not used to all the rocks or the altitude being from the Midwest. Only did half the loop and then cut back on the road because of bike rental time. But great ride overall. Probably will help me do well back home!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Not a hard hike but long. Very nice views and lots of mountain bike riders. All of the cyclists were nice and it was easy to share the trail. Take plenty of water and have fun!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

It's a little wiggly jiggly, set up for mountain bikers. There is great shade under the trees which is lovely. There were quite a few wild flowers out including lulin which was lovely. The map or notice board doesn't have a ' you are here' arrow! Take something to navigate with to ensure you find your way back out again. according to the notice board, cyclists should give way to hikers and equestrian. All the cyclists I encountered were lovely. Take plenty of water too.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

This is a perfect trail for riding! It has great scenery and the smell of pines, hmm. My mom and I had so much fun biking this trail, and I believe it connects to more trails too.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Nice & flat for most part. Open & healthy forest. No trash; well used & loved but affords plenty of solitude.

Friday, April 10, 2015

A beautiful trail close to Truckee. As others have mentioned wear good hiking shoes as the 2nd half of the trail is rocky.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

This was a mild trail with a very gentle incline but beware of mountain bikers that frequent the trail in the warmer months, especially around sudden corners. Wear good shoes as the second half of the trail is very rocky and is hard on the feet.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Sawtooth Trail offers about 9 miles of solitude in the Tahoe National Forest close to Truckee, California. The trail is quite rocky, but the elevation gain/loss is minimal and it is very close to town. Photos and complete route description are available at: http://www.tahoerunco.com/2012/05/run-sawtooth-trail/