Sawmill Road Loop Trail

Sawmill Road Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lake Arrowhead, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

If we hadn’t used the map on this app we probably would have taken a lot of wrong turns. Beautiful scenery and moderate inclines. Good hike.

This is not a hike, this a dirt road, no shadow, no view, no fun.

We started the new year with a nice outdoor hike! Scenic and nice area to watch the blue jays and see the largest acorns and pine cones around! No shade on trail, weather was perfect so that was no problem.

We took two four year olds and two seven year olds on this hike, and it was fairly challenging for them, who have all done some hiking but not all the time. But still was very doable for all. I would recommend for families wanting a challenge, but it’s not an easy trail. Also, very necessary to have the map open on the app and to read people’s suggestions about where to go if you just want to do the 3 mile loop. There were two places where the trail goes somewhere that is not the main road and is not at all obvious. There was a nice view of the lake near the end of the trail that felt gratifying since we had done all our climbing by that point and it was all downhill from there. Nearly all the trail was in the sun and was hot, even in December. Go early or pick a cooler day. I would do this trail again if in the area.

This trail is mostly unmarked and it’s very easy to get off the trail and lost, take plenty of water and follow the app map for best coordinates. I would do it again but be more prepared next time, I would rate some of the climbs very challenging. Not for the nobody hiker.

Should be rated as easy Trail. It is more like a road than a trail. Still a pretty walk.

Nice easy trail. With some harder cut off. one can do this run with a stock rig.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Awesomeness! We conquered "Shit Hill" with ease

Monday, May 15, 2017

Nice hike that is almost split physically in half regarding difficulty. Follow the directions (Google map) and trail map provided by this app. Start the trail heading right and for the first half of the trail, you'll enjoy a lovely, easy hike up the fire break road with nice views. Once you reach the blue painted post and wire fence on the left, you are about to enter the second half which is moderate, actually, difficult if you aren't in great shape. No need to go under the fence as some have said, just continue walking about 100 feet for an opening and path through the brush back to the trail. You'll come to a fork with option for "Easiest" or "Difficult" routes. They join up after one "Difficult" hill and from there you'll take on a lot of incline after that. Pay attention roughly 3/4 the way through. To stay on the path, you have to turn left off of the large path onto an unmarked and smaller path that you have to look for. You'll take this through a wooded area and end up on a paved road with picnic tables, campsites, and a clean restroom. To get back to where you started, you'll turn off of the paved road onto another path, and towards the end you'll cut through a small unmarked path. In conclusion, I recommend starting your hike heading right since it's easier and well-marked. You can decide halfway if you want to turn back or take up the more difficult and more confusing part of the trail.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Gorgeous views! Fun trail with easy and moderate parts. We started at trail head by the campground and ended up off Hook Creek Road and walked the road back rather than double back on the trail. Total loop was 9.36km. Took us 3 hours. Loved every second! Only drawback was a lot of sun, not much shade so wear sunscreen/hat and bring extra water.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Casual stroll hike that's a great leg stretcher. Don't expect a true hike. Though there is a small trail split off to a side view.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Was a pleasant little hike, nice and scenic.
Most was indeed easy, however there were def a few rather steep sections that might be considered closer to moderate - definitely a bit challenging for my elderly mother (but she made it).
If you hike the trail counter-clockwise,the first 1.3 miles is a fire-road, (Rouse Ranch Road) at which point you make a turn to get onto Sawmill Road 3N34, however the map here isn't quite correct - as there's a barb-wire fence you'd need to crawl under! (but apparently if you travel further down Rouse Ranch Road a few hundred feet, you could then find easier access to 3N34. After that, keep taking the "Easy" signs until you get to the single trail 3W11. - then take that until you reconnect to 3N34 until you reach some campgrounds..and continue south until you find a single trail path down to the start of the trail. It's not too contusing , but running the AllTrails app on your phone while doing this hike will help (charge your phone prior!)

Saturday, September 24, 2016

this was a very scenic trail, but very confusing the whole way no signs for direction, I went the back way through overall was good but like I said very confusing as far as the loop ... it was about 4 miles after I made it through I would rate it as moderate trail my three young children made it all the way, I did see a deer and lots of tracks from other animals.

Friday, February 19, 2016

Didn't get too far out, but I really enjoyed the scenery. The entrance is in the camp on the far edge. There was a fallen tree on the path that we had to climb under, but the rest of the trail was clear. I'd like to go back and walk the whole thing!

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Nice easy hike not much water in stream during winter

Thursday, December 17, 2015

The scenery was beautiful. It took some time to figure out where I was going. The road paths are super clear but the hiking paths are a little more difficult to find. There are trees fallen on old paths so it can be difficult to find a new way around where the old path should've been. I had to climb under barb wire to get to the path I was supposed to be on. Overall, I would do it again, but the longer version. The short version is where I was lost a few times.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Clearly marked from from the campground and again about a mile in. Quite a bit of fire damage. The creek was nice. Will probably go again when the water level is up. The valleys are neat and climb wasn't too tough.

Monday, July 08, 2013

This trail was ok. We got kind of lost and ended up on a paved road. It was nice to get out and hike though on our vacation.

recorded Sawmill Road Loop Trail