Learn more

Sapphire Falls Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(162)
San Bernardino National Forest

Sapphire Falls Trail [CLOSED] is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Rancho Cucamonga, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,377 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

closed

Note: Sapphire Falls Trail remains CLOSED until April 2020. Please check with the park page for more information and updates.

Greg please call me! I love you and miss you sooooo much! Check your ‘bl1nxone’ email. You’ll know how to reach me if you don’t already. I will wait for you for as long as eternity and you are the only thing in which gives my life joy. -Selma Yilmaz

closed
Sat Apr 06 2019

Used to come here in high school almost every weekend. Place was a blast. I’m hoping it opens back up soon

Sun Jul 01 2018

I definitely miss this trail I really hope they reopen it with a cleaner image, it was definitely one of Rancho's hidden gems.

Wed Jun 20 2018

Sapphire Falls is closed until April 2019. Here is the link with the details: https://www.cityofrc.us/news/displaynews.asp?NewsID=1065&TargetID=5 This is one of my favorite hikes. I would not rate it as easy. Each time I hiked it, I went home sore. Good workout. :)

Sat Apr 21 2018

Really fun trail! I suggest you pack light and leave electronics in the car though . You do have to get in the water and swim up to climb the mini waterfall to continue the trail. Not sure if they’re open yet though.

Fri Apr 13 2018

Are the falls open yet I've been dying to go!!!

Sat Mar 03 2018

How do you go when it’s closed , is there security/cops that’s there watching?

Wed Jan 24 2018

It is a difficult and unmaintained service road.

Sun Jan 21 2018

This was a great hike! There was hardly any trash but unfortunately there is some graffiti. There is a pretty big incline so depending on your fitness level this could take a little while. My group made it to the creek crossing in an hour and from there we headed up the river to do some exploring. We didn't see the falls as we were afraid of being cited. We saw a camera or sensor up there that may be used to enforce the rule? Parking is $20 so we were just dropped off to avoid this cost. Overall a great hike that was fun and short! I really hope they open up access to the falls soon!!

Thu Jan 04 2018

Rock climbing wall. Rope climbing through waterfalls. Swimming. Greenery everywhere. Awesome hike.

Sun Oct 15 2017

I loved this hike, it was easy and had some really cool abandoned structures and cars that made the trip to the waterfall fun. I think it closed mostly due to the amount of people that died up there, either by falling or drowning. For years I wondered when they were going to close it, because it was scary watching people climb the waterfall in shorts and flip flops, with clearly no climbing experience, and often times after drinking beers they brought in an ice chest. I don't know how many of the deaths involved this kind of behavior, because it could happen to any of us, but it was obvious that it was a dangerous place that was easily accessible to a lot of people.

Tue Oct 10 2017

Closed due to fires, grafittit, vandalism. Falls only accessible if you are with the clean up crew or you will be cited for trespassing. Legal trail (STEEP) will get you close enough to hear the water. Park below Almond anywhere permit is not required

Tue Aug 29 2017

The trail is very beautiful and is so much fun unfortunately they closed it because a lot of people were tagging on the rocks and leaving trash everywhere

Wed Aug 16 2017

Why was it closed ?

Fri Jun 30 2017

Not open ands no parking

Thu May 25 2017

Is this trail open again yet??

Wed May 10 2017

to bad youll get a ticket if you go here

Thu Dec 15 2016

Maybe they can take the time during the closure to clean all the graffiti...

Sun Oct 02 2016

Amazing hike. I'm sad they closed it. I hope the city reopens it in the future. Not surprised they closed it seeing how much disrespectful little shits left garbage and graffiti all over this place. If they open again, I hope they charge a parking fee or something to keep those disrespectful pieces of shit out of here. Such a unique hike.

Thu Sep 15 2016

Fun trail. Was pretty cool you could climb up the side of the waterfall. Sucks it's closed.

Tue Aug 23 2016

is this trail really still closed?

Fri Aug 05 2016

I love this place. Definitely one of my favorites and the falls are amazing.

Thu Jun 16 2016

The hike was great, although we didn't reach the falls. The map was a little deceiving. But definitely going again to find the falls.