Santa Ynez Canyon Waterfall Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(324)
Topanga State Park

Santa Ynez Canyon Waterfall Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 275 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

busy busy busy. Beautiful trail though. Choose times wisely super early or just before sunset. Little Waterfall dont expect much.

I personally loved this trail. I did it with my 7y and our 18m in a hiking backpack. Pretty difficult if you’re not fit with a baby. Lots of people which was a little frustrating during covid. Lots of masks though but crowded at the waterfall.

Easy Fun Very Fun

Wouldn’t say at all this is for all type hike. To make it to the waterfall there’s a big rock to climb, so when you have small kids you won’t be able to make it up to the small fall. At the waterfall there’s a rope for a hike further but that’s only for skilled climbers.

Remember when you come here to respect the neighborhood. We live here. Wear a mask and create social distance if you encounter us going to your car. Pack out your trash.

Must-do hike around LA! So beautiful!

Very nice cool hiking. No easy with kids but posible. We didn’t make it up to the waterfall with two year old just because it was too dangerous by the end but it was only last few minutes from the end. There is still plenty of water. Also lots of poison oaks and eves. But over all perfect place to be in those days. PS. wear mask. The paths are very narrow and you get to interact with people a lot. Very impressive that most of the people we met there today was with masks.

Cool hike! It’s a bit over grown. I wore a tank top and shorts with long socks. There is poison oak, but it’s somewhat avoidable if you’re careful. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow if I did a good job avoiding the poison oak. *fingers crossed I’m not super itchy* lol Trail is really narrow so it’s hard to avoid people at times but if you wear a bandana as a mask you feel pretty safe. You can also take time to step off the trail when people walk by. Waterfall was getting low, but it’s a cool sight for a two mile round trip hike. Took us about 2 hours, but we were walking it pretty leisurely. The hike was pretty shaded with some bugs near the water spots. The water wasn’t too high so I was actually able to walk the whole hike without changing into my water shoes. My friends wore their hiking sandals and enjoyed dipping their feet in the water. There was some rocks to climb up at the end, but I wouldn’t say it was overly difficult. I did see some older (overweight [no offense, just fyi]) parents have a bit of trouble, but most of them eventually made it through. Overall, 4/5 stars for a nice 2 hour getaway.

The trail is open, highly recommend checking it out. Very beautiful forested path with many off path things to explore. At the end is a pretty nice waterfall with a rope you can climb up. That leads you to a simple rock climbing problem which gives you two more paths to explore.

Can someone tell me that this trail is close or Open? Cause someone said it closed but someone still update that they hike here couple hours ago. Best regards and appreciate your help.

Trail is closed.

CAUTION: POISON OAK PARADISE If this trail wasn’t overgrown with poison oak, it would be a spectacular trail. Initially, I followed the AllTrail app and it led me off the true trail and into patches of poison oak. After backtracking a few minutes, I got onto the true trail. Either wear waterproof hiking boots, go barefoot or have watershoes b/c getting wet is unavoidable. There are many stream crossings (nothing deep) and several require you to get wet. The entire trail is shaded but you’ll have to watch out for ticks. If you don’t mind getting wet, the final couple hundred yards after the last waterfall sign are easy. If you’re trying to stay dry, it’ll be MUCH more difficult scramble. Once at the waterfall, it’s a very secluded and serene area. It’s sad that losers have to spray their graffiti on the rocks though. Try to ignore the small amount of graffiti and just enjoy the moment!

flooded

3.18.20. Flooded from the start. Wear water shoes or hiking boots because if you don’t then don’t mind if your feet get wet. Ended the hike at 2.85 miles Didn’t run into many people.

Really cool trail. I am in no way an avid hiker and am constantly afraid of being lost, but I purchased the pro version and was able to keep track of the trail the whole time. the GPS was very accurate! I followed the actual black dashes not the other red trails as that was a little too advanced for me. Currently (3/7/2020) the water level is very low and lots of bugs flying near the water as well as LOTS of poison ivy and poison oak. I read other reviews that mentioned the poison plants and looked up images of how they look and noticed quite a bit on the trail and some nearer the waterfall that is pretty much unavoidable. Wear long sleeved and pants. Not much elevation which was good for me! Over all cool experience