Santa Rosa Trail

Santa Rosa Trail is a 4.6 mile loop trail located near Thousand Oaks, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a pleasant hike along Mountclef Ridge in Wildwood Park. The hike provides lovely views of the Santa Rosa Valley to the Santa Susana and Topatopa Mountains, as well as the Conejo Valley to the Santa Monica Mountains. There is little shade along the trail, and the vegetation is mostly scrub brush. Note that once you reach the end of the Santa Rosa Trail and start heading down a service road into a housing development, route finding gets a little confusing. You head down the service road, turn right on the unmarked Lower Butte trail, the left on Wildwood avenue, then right on the jogging path that takes you back to Avenida De Los Arboles.

Thoroughly enjoyed the hike and enjoyed the views. Markings were great in some areas and I was glad we had gps in others. The last leg through a suburban neighborhood was not my favorite part.

Wide leveled trail at the beginning, good for passing hikers/horses.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Don't let the easy hiking status fool you, on a mountain bike this was a difficult trail. Lots of Rocky climbs and loose footing. There are narrow spots near cactus. Beautiful views!

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Loved it! Not for the softies.

Monday, January 11, 2016

I loved seeing all the cacti :) lots of switchbacks on the way up. After getting up on the mountain, it levels out. Lots of fun! I've done it twice & like to do it again.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

This is a good trail if you don't want to see or meet people. I used to jog this trail in the evenings and rarely do I ever meet people on the trail. One weekend I met couple people in horses.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

It was a bit more than I expected which i like but my boyfriend... Not as much. We cut through the neighborhood towards the end. Great parking!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

We live by the beach and enjoy the trail when we want a change. The trail is not the easiest but it is not the hardest. One year we were here every other weekend almost, and tried all the various trails the park has. I particulary like it because of the creek that my northern breed dogs can go into about mid trail. The temperature here is very warm so remember to bring plenty of water. You will always see families and horses on the trail as well. There are rattle snakes here so becareful! Come early because after 12 it is just too hot for us (but then again, we are beach folk used to colder temps lol).

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

fun hike from Wildwood up and along the crest. took my boys and they had no problems. very mellow and easy ascent. great views of Santa Rosa valley to Padre and SM mountains.

Monday, December 30, 2013

I have been out here to explore the Conejo Open Space Several times in the last few months and enjoyed it more and more each time. There are numerous trails to explore, lots of great rock formations, cactus varieties and views to take in. I have hiked and mountain biked up here and both are fantastic. Great wide trails that are well marked and maintained.

Friday, June 14, 2013

Very nice hike. Went out today and hiked around the outside of the park hitting most of the trails in the area. Saw everything from squirrels, deer, rattle snakes and even lobsters! (<---yes, this is true, in the creek in a certain spot there a bunch) and yes, watch out for rattle snakes, don't look down so much when you walk, make sure to look out ahead of you a little ways. Other than that, yes there is a creeks and water fall, no dot swim in it. What people don't notice swimming is that the creek runs next to a sewer line that runs to a water treatment plant farther down the canyon...and you can smell it. Stay out of the water and enjoy!

Friday, April 12, 2013

I agree with Jayson this was supposed to be an easy trail it most definitely is a moderate hike as some areas are a climb and crossing river beds may be tricky for some people. That said there is a variety of views and landscape including waterfalls. There are several different trails you would have to visit many times to explore them all ... Free parking but get there early as the park loads up and parking can be difficult later in the day. Lot's of people and families great park.

Monday, January 28, 2013

This trail is not meant for beginners. I liked it but when I went this afternoon it was to muddy. I was hoping most of the rain had dried up but it was like riding through quick sand. The mud was very sticky and slippery. Made it very sketchy with all of the cacti. I will try this trail again when it's more dry. But I would rate this a black if not a double black diamond trail. It has a lot of technical climbing and descents. The switchbacks are very steep and tight which makes descending very difficult. Great tough workout though. This is definitely a expert level trail, beginners ride at your own risk. I'm just about ready to tackle some more moderate trails and this through me for a loop. I wasn't expecting it to be as difficult as it is.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I'm going to go check this trail out soon. Will be my first time ever riding. I'll let y'all know how it goes this weekend! giving the trail a 4 as of now because I havnt experienced it just yet.

Monday, December 10, 2012

This was a fun trail. My only problem is that it's rated as easy. This trail is more of a moderate hike at first and then it gets much easier on the back side. Have fun!!!

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Nice bike ride downhill

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Fantastic views though the map of the trail on the Alltrails app could use an update. Last stretch of the hike is through residential streets back to the parking lot for Wildwood Park. Never feel totally submerged in nature but the cities on either side of the hills are lovely. Not many people on this part of the trail.

Sunday, October 02, 2011

I biked this trail today. I started from the parking lot. It was very difficult on a bike. It was very steep and rocky. I took a wrong turn and got off trail. Also, be careful for cacti. I slammed my foot on one and it was very painful.