Santa Margarita River Trail

Santa Margarita River Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fallbrook, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I-15 N to Fallbrook exit. Take Mission Rd. 5 mi. E; turn N onto Pico Ave. (becomes De Luz Rd.). Continue 2.4 mi.; go R @ fork onto Sandia Creek Dr. N. Parking area is in 1 mi. (just before bridge); trailhead is E of lot.

Alot of poison oak nice walk

Nice Trail with lots of shade along the river. Very little elevation gain normal running shoes or trail shoes are Ok.

Very nice trail, super shady for a hot trail like today. Beautiful river! I live in fallbrook and had no idea we had such a pretty spot to hike so close. Will definitely be going again.

I'm a middle aged female and this was an awesome walk. Not exhausting but still a nice workout.

My stars are not accurate as this may very well be a great trail, however, it was washed out from the recent rain and closed today.

Very easy trail. Took our dog and she had a good time. Went on a Saturday morning and it was kinda busy. The water was really pretty. Only downfall was I noticed a lot of dog poop on the trail.

My husband and I and our black lab enjoyed this great nature walk/hike today. Lots of shade, possibility of loops and slightly off paths available if you want to make the hike longer. Few rocky areas that need some stability. Many hiked it with their children on their back. Beautiful flowing water and so green. Recommend bringing bug spray! The rain brought tons of mosquitos. Parking is on the main road. Overall great!

Super fun! Super easy (would consider it more of a nature walk than a hike)! Great for the whole family! Awesome place to spend the day having a picnic and swimming in the river.

Beautiful area ~ great for families, couples or solo adventure. Relied on GPS to pick the right trail a few times, signage could be improved.
We saw 2 coyotes exploring at 2PM. Keep those dogs on leashes, especially the small ones.