Santa Margarita River Trail

Santa Margarita River Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fallbrook, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I-15 N to Fallbrook exit. Take Mission Rd. 5 mi. E; turn N onto Pico Ave. (becomes De Luz Rd.). Continue 2.4 mi.; go R @ fork onto Sandia Creek Dr. N. Parking area is in 1 mi. (just before bridge); trailhead is E of lot.

Very pretty and relaxing trail. The views are lovely and there are many places along the river to both explore and kick back a little. We spotted some poison oak on the riverbanks, but it's easily avoidable if you keep an eye out.

This trail has some real beautiful views. There is a couple of parts that were rocky or felt like we were walking on a ledge but it’s so fun especially if you have kids. People go horseback riding here so it’s nice to see that.

If you’re looking for a good hike to see water in So Cal this is the one for you.

Easy trail with a small section that is narrow with a drop off.

One of the better hikes I have been on. What I love about this trail, is the wide variety of scenery you experience. It feels like 4 hikes in one...So many trails to explore.

Great place.

My dog and i very much enjoy this trail. I have gone from 2 - 8 ish miles round trip on multiple occasions. We enjoy the river and other scenery. I am not a professional hiker... and find this trail to be on the more moderate end of the easy scale. Meaning there are some areas that require a bit of skill and athleticism,but I’m def not scaling boulders with specialized gear. Do not be intimidated but be prepared. Enjoy and be safe.

Nice long stroll with some short steep hills and good views with plenty of shaded spots. Took us about two hours from start to the end of the trail marked by the All Trails map. Would definitely recommend for a weekend morning activity.

This trail is a pretty easy stroll alongside a river with a decent amount of shade. We started at 8:30am and got done at 10:30 after having stopped a bit for some drone usage. It was pretty busy as we were leaving. There are a few tricky spots on rocky areas that I would say are challenging for people with bad shoes. There is a river crossing to continue on this trail. I had to take my shoes off and walk across because the rocks were too far apart and we had quite the adventure boulder scaling on the return a little further up the river at the crossing. A lot of people we saw either turned back at that point (probably 1.75 miles in) instead of attempting to cross so keep that in mind. Overall, decent trail but not worth the drive from downtown San Diego when there are better ones out east.

This is a really nice, fairly easy trail. We loved walking to the sound of the water and much of the trail is shaded. There are only a couple of areas that you need to maneuver up and down some rocks (not a stroller friendly trail but still great for kids), but the majority of the hike it very easy. It was a little crowded, but we did go on a day when school was out.

Easy, flat, shaded hike along the creek. Very popular hike for your furry 4 legged friends.

Nice Sunday afternoon hike. Kid and pet friendly.

This was a nice trail for an easier hike. It was very peaceful with the water sounds and having shade a large portion of the trail. We saw a coyote on the trail and a beautiful blue jay . We did a few offshoots so made it 6 miles. The loose dirt made it very dirty for the shoes and feet - never seen my feet to dirty after a hike.

Excellent hike. Great views. Easy trails to navigate. Only a few rock areas to work around. Very peaceful hike.

This has to be one of my favorites in the San Diego area. The trail is, for the most part, an easy walk, barring a few stretches that are narrow with loose dirt and rocks hindering, but nothing challenging.
We went during winter break at around 10 in the morning. There were about 5 cars in the parking lot. But when we got back there were about a dozen, so not too crowded at all.
It was a hot day at 84F but the trail is fully shaded and cool except in a couple of patches.
The best part was the sound of flowing water that followed us and this was in spite of not having had any rainfall this winter.
We walked down to the river, stepping on rocks without getting our feet wet.
There are benches along the trail to rest or just take in the view and listen to the water/birds.

Very pretty trail along the river. Dusty and some washed-out sections though; so, be ready for some creative footwork!

Nicely shaded throughout. Some rock scrambling near the start of trail may make footing dicey if you have a large dog on leash that pulls--careful!

A relaxing walk/hike next to a flowing river! It was refreshing to see the cool water on the rocks! There was parking available and per signs (in December) the trail was open until 4:30P.

The trail is lovely, peaceful, and the river is great to be next to. There are a few steep rocky points.

I love it definitely recommend it!!!

The beginning isn’t much for MTB but after about a half mile it gets better