Point to Point

beach

The number of stars I want to give this trail really depends on which part of the trail I'm rating. I start from Orange/Anaheim and either ride south or north/east from there.

Going south to Huntington Beach you run into some head winds which makes things difficult, but my biggest issue is the miles upon miles of homeless encampments that really drag down the aesthetics of my ride. I don't feel unsafe, I just feel uncomfortable. The rest of the ride down to the beach is a bit dull until you get close enough to see the ocean. Once I get to Huntington I like to turn right and head up the Huntington trail along the coast.

I much prefer to ride north/east, especially up past Lincoln in north Orange. Again, right where I get on in Orange/Anaheim I have to ride through a considerable stretch of homeless encampments, but once I make it to Imperial Highway there's water in the riverbed and even a fair amount of wildlife. I usually get off at Yorba Regional Park and turn around, but it's still pretty going to the end of this stretch of the trail.

Overall, I like this trail because it's straightforward, accessible, completely separated from motor traffic, and long enough to get a good ride. I just wish more of the trail was aesthetically pleasing! I'm not asking for much, just something better than run-down tents and an empty concrete riverbed.