Santa Ana Arroyo Trail

Santa Ana Arroyo Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Redlands, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

I had a lot of fun on this hike. There’s an established trail that runs parallel to the Santa Ana, but hiking the river’s a lot more fun. The terrain switches up on you, going from soft beach-like sands to smooth pebbles and stones. Cacti and various desert plants can be seen throughout, as well as your common lizards and birds.

Once the trail heads north, you’re greeted by what I believe is a creek or a basin of some sort. Either way, the actively flowing water was a surprise to me. It was cool and clear and populated by a small group of ducks.

I actually took the trail up to Aurantia Park in Highland and attempted to loop back down to my car, but ran into excavation zones, overgrown brush, and misleading trails. I suggest heading out to the creek and back, or if you’re feeling adventurous out to Aurantia Park and back. The Santa Ana Wash incorporates more than this specific path, so you can improvise your way around the arroyo. Just be safe.

I parked alongside Riverview Dr. where Church St. ends and the trailhead begins.