Sandstone Canyon via Fish Creek Wash

Sandstone Canyon via Fish Creek Wash is a 29 mile out and back trail located near Ocotillo, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until June.

Distance: 29.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,916 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

lot of fun!!

off road driving

Fun Trail. Gets pretty narrow with quite a few boulders at the end. This trail does not lead to a different trail, so if you're thinking of driving out of this area on a different trail, forget about it...not in anything too wide anyway. (We used our Jeep JK)

off road driving

I expected this trail to be much better than what if was. The worst part is the entire trail for the most mart has been graded so the whole thing is just vibrating your entire rig the entire time. Just leave the trails alone and stop trying to groom them.

off road driving

Pretty easy trail until you get to the “gatekeeper”. Trail gets even better beyond that section as well. However, we had two Tacoma’s in our crew and both truck had a hard time leaving the gatekeeper section. This area is tight. I left with a small scrape on my front bumper. We were able to get my buddy out without a scrape by adding a little bit of rocks just below the big boulder. Make sure you have a good spotter if you decide to crawl. Otherwise, if you decide not to cross the gatekeeper section then the trail is really easy.

Great place to hike and offroad with your family.

One of the best off-roading trails I’ve ever been on. Gorgeous scenery and surprisingly little amounts of traffic. Saw about two other rigs out there in a three day span. Perfect for camping, and the skyline and stars are a sight to see. Make sure you have a capable 4x4 though because you will definitely need it. As with any desert be sure to keep a 5 gallon of water in your truck, you go through it quick out here. Will definitely be back soon! -Grizz

off road driving

Beautiful trail, there was a point that narrowed considerably and had large rocks. Our stock crosstrek couldn’t do it but the rest of the trail was great!

off road driving

Trail was very beautiful this time of year easily passable just have to watch out for rocks lots of them we camped about 3 miles in by the wind caves very quite and peaceful at the very end of the wash part of wall had collapsed little narrow to pace but other then that a lot of other trails split of from this one lots of different ways you can go.

off road driving

Awesome trail. We’ve got wide tires so the end was tough and we couldn’t completely finish but once you’re at sandstone it was amazing.

off road driving

Great Trail! Good for first time off-roading. Only a few areas that you might need some technical navigating! Try it out! It’s beautiful and great weather right now in the spring!

off road driving

I have AWD...a Subaru Forester...is that good enough for this trek?

Awesome trail, very sandy, very scenic.

off road driving

great scenery, not challenging at all. not too fun to run Raptors . super dusty as well

off road driving

Great geological area so don’t go off the wash with your 4 X 4. There are all kinds of delicate things if you look for them.

Really amazing drive, my friend in a RWD Tacoma made it with no problems, highly recommend this trail to beginners

off road driving

Awesome off roading adventure from when you make a right into fish creek wash 4 miles into the wash we stopped and took the 1 mile hike up to the wind caves then drove about 7 miles more to get to sandstone canyon. The road into sandstone canyon is a bit narrow but fun I saw Jeeps, Tacomas and Colorado's driving through it with no problem. I highly recommend this trail. Great trail for pictures.

off road driving

Cool scenery with a variety of terrain obstacles. Very easy to get lost.

Thursday, August 02, 2018

Fun day trip with my buddy and our wives. A novice off-roader, had a fun time. Not much change in elevation. Flat and rocky but the trails winded around mountains/hills and made for an adventurous day. Stopped under a rock wall and had lunch. Was 90 degrees, not horrible. Didn’t need 4WD. Enjoyed the loop, only saw (passed) one vehicle, plenty of room to do so throughout.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Great Trail

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Great road, good starter trail for those looking to try out offroad driving. We camped as well, which was very windy but a great time. Fantastic view of the night sky. Also, the wind caves are a short hike off of the main wash. Overall, highly recommend taking a trip out this way.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Took the family in the FJ Cruiser and had no problem taking this trail on. Would recommend if you do decide to cross the rock slide area then have at least 4wd and a lift. Very spiritual and very tranquil.

Friday, May 11, 2018

Great first Off Road Adventure in our new Tacoma!

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Some of the best views I've seen offroading. Easy trip but I recommend goin in the winter. We went during the summer months and it was 104 degrees. The rock slide is easy in a jeep .

Friday, December 29, 2017

Took out my family in my Titan that’s 2wd, had no problem at all handling anything out there. Easy trails to navigate mainly follow the wash till you get there. Some soft sand here and there but the trails are so wide that you can easily go around. Didn’t have to air down the tires or anything like that.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Really fun trail. Main trail is wide, follows a wash, and the driver can easily pick their own route. Plenty of forks, so remember where you go; seemed easy to get lost or turned around.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

I don't think I did the full 29 miles but I did a large portion of it. Easy wash roads, beautiful desert scenery.