Sandstone Canyon via Fish Creek Wash

Sandstone Canyon via Fish Creek Wash is a 29 mile out and back trail located near Thermal, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until June.

off road driving

Fun day trip with my buddy and our wives. A novice off-roader, had a fun time. Not much change in elevation. Flat and rocky but the trails winded around mountains/hills and made for an adventurous day. Stopped under a rock wall and had lunch. Was 90 degrees, not horrible. Didn’t need 4WD. Enjoyed the loop, only saw (passed) one vehicle, plenty of room to do so throughout.

Great Trail

Great road, good starter trail for those looking to try out offroad driving. We camped as well, which was very windy but a great time. Fantastic view of the night sky. Also, the wind caves are a short hike off of the main wash. Overall, highly recommend taking a trip out this way.

off road driving

Took the family in the FJ Cruiser and had no problem taking this trail on. Would recommend if you do decide to cross the rock slide area then have at least 4wd and a lift. Very spiritual and very tranquil.

off road driving

Great first Off Road Adventure in our new Tacoma!

off road driving

Some of the best views I've seen offroading. Easy trip but I recommend goin in the winter. We went during the summer months and it was 104 degrees. The rock slide is easy in a jeep .

off road driving

Took out my family in my Titan that’s 2wd, had no problem at all handling anything out there. Easy trails to navigate mainly follow the wash till you get there. Some soft sand here and there but the trails are so wide that you can easily go around. Didn’t have to air down the tires or anything like that.

Really fun trail. Main trail is wide, follows a wash, and the driver can easily pick their own route. Plenty of forks, so remember where you go; seemed easy to get lost or turned around.

off road driving

I don't think I did the full 29 miles but I did a large portion of it. Easy wash roads, beautiful desert scenery.

Any 4wd can do this! Easy day!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

A fun ride

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

great trail

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

If you do only one 4wd trail in Anza Borrego, this should be the one. It is an easy drive through a sand wash and a canyon. It's not a challenge to drive but the scenery is fantastic. Because the sand can get soft, I'd recommend 4wd. I've seen 2wd vehicles in there but have also seen plenty getting towed after digging in. So be careful.

I reached Sandstone Canyon via a 12.5 mile drive on Fish Creek Wash. A mile or so in on Fish Creek Wash is the Fish Creek Camp which has a vault toilet and primitive camping sites. Fish Creek Wash goes through Split Mountain which is spectacular to drive through. At about 4.5 miles is the trailhead for the hike to the wind caves. Very cool to see. Great views from the top. Bring lots of water for this hike.

There is a small sign that indicates the start of Sandstone Canyon at about 12.5 miles on Fish Creek. The canyon is only about 7 miles. There are two obstacles on the trail. The first is a large rock which can be passed on either side, depending on your rig. To the right heading in is tight but I had "plenty" of room in a 2013 Jeep. To the left are some small to medium-sized rocks but nothing real challenging. We stopped at the next large obstacle which was impassable the first time we were there. Since, several rigs have been able to get over the huge pile of boulders but I'm still too chicken. We chose to watch others brave it and hiked on foot past the pileup.

The drive up 'til then is to die for. The canyon walls are at least a couple hundred feet high and are so close together that at some points on the trail, you can stick your hands out the windows of the Jeep and touch the walls.

We stopped at the big pileup of rocks and had lunch and walked around.

We see hikers every now and then along the drive and I always wonder how and why anybody could walk that far out but people seem to like it!

One last warning: do NOT drive this wash if it is raining or rain is anywhere near the forecast. It turns into a raging river.

Also, pick up Charles Wells' Guide to Southern CA Backroads if you don't already have it. It's THE book to have.

Friday, April 07, 2017