San Vicente Mountain to Rustic Canyon Loop Trail

San Vicente Mountain to Rustic Canyon Loop Trail is a 18.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ran here a week after the rains and trail was pretty torn up. There was a “trail closed” sign 8 miles in that I ignored. Lots of rocks, hard on the feet. Most of the elevation gain was at the last 5 mile stretch. The best trail I never want to run again!

Not a great trail but not bad. There was tons of dog poop on the trail and very little shade. We went at 10am in January and it was still too hot in the sun for my dog. It’s 2 stars for dogs but 3 stars for people. You can hear the traffic from the 405 freeway and you can look right into peoples’ (multi-million) backyard. We went out only 2 miles so I think the city landscape lessens. But I like trails where you immediately feel hundreds of miles away from LA.

Mostly fire roads. One section single track that was really nice. Trail map is wrong to cut over to Rustic Canyon trail. Added a photo of the actual trail map showing the connection trail.

Thursday, January 19, 2012