San Tomas Aquino Creek Trail

San Tomas Aquino Creek Trail is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Clara, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

I'm new to the area and I am trying to find this trail. The GPS takes me to the side of HWY237 and park along side of road. That doesn't seem safe. I see no trail. Anyone help me find this trail!?

I am able to get onto this trail from Cabrillo Avenue. Yes the bike trail could be wider but I find the fact that it is essentially dedicated bike trail wonderful. The cement barriers which protect us against San Tomas exp way are very welcome -- I don't like to be even within 6 inches of the typically aggressive cars in this area. I enjoyed watching the water, ducks and the occasional snails.

The road felt both easy and challenging - the biggest grievance I have is fellow bike riders who pass behind me and pedestrians without giving a verbal or bell warning that they are behind you.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Friday, April 22, 2016

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

** Access: The trail is quite accessible from a number of locations as it cuts through Walsh Ave, Scott Blvd, 101, and Mission College Blvd. So it is a great place to run/walk/bike for people who live or work closeby.
At the northern end, the trail lies behind the Great America amusement park on one side and the new Levi's stadium on the other. The trail may be closed on days there are events in the stadium. There is a signboard listing the event dates. The part of the trail closure doesnt help to the already small trail.
Parking for me was convenient at the trailhead on Monroe Street.

** Scenery: The trail is bound by a tall, concrete wall on one side and the San Tomas Aquino creek on the other side. The wall on the undercrossings has some sculptures that one can probably pay attention to if one is out on a leisure walk. The wall is not continuous and the trail is very open beyond Mission College Blvd if you're going north. To me, the wall seemed to add claustrophobia to the already narrow trail. The wall does provide shade in the evenings.
The creek on the other side is all dried up and there is a lot of stagnant water, an ideal breeding ground for all types of mosquitoes and what not. The dried creek is more of a stinky drain right now and more of a health hazard than anything else.

** Trail surface: The trail is very narrow all along. It is absolutely straight for most part. The trail is more concrete than tarred road. I prefer road surface for runs/walks. The concrete extends for a long distance on either sides of an overhead bridge. There are dips and inclines in elevation at these undercrossings.

Monday, April 07, 2014