San Olene Fire Road

San Olene Fire Road is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sierra Madre, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I really did adore this trail. I want to say that off the bat, and state that the only reason this review is missing a star is because I could not locate the trail that looped this fire road back to the starting point, so I wound up hiking this as an out-and-back.
I hiked this on a beautiful, overcast June day. Much of this trail is shaded anyway, but it was nice to have the cloud cover and cool temp in the uncovered spots, including the top. I only ran into one pair of hikers early on, and one family of 4 or 5 descending from the peak of the hike. The road is paved (and used by vehicles, so keep your headphones out for this portion at least) from the picnic area up to the heliport. I saw a ranger service truck parked on the heliport on my descent, but no one was there when I was going up. The trail is mostly up at a steady grade on the ascent, which meant I flew back down in no time with trekking poles. Nice wide fire road and trail, but it is fairly rocky for most of the unpaved portion. Make sure you stop and grab a deet packet or two from the Pack Shop, because the bugs are real persistent towards the top of the hike. Many beautiful wildflowers were blooming when I was up there.

The family I ran into mentioned the loop trail, and I asked them to leave something to mark the trail, but I never found a marker nor the trail itself. I am curious to check the reviews in a few more months and see if anyone else was able to find it. Also, try to get there early. Parking is slim on weekends, and you WILL need an adventure pass (available at the Pack Shop, along with snacks, drinks, hot food, etc.). PLEASE be careful if you park alongside the main road.

Lots of good qualities about this trail. Lots of peace and quiet. Wide path which would be good for groups with 5 or more. Great vista points. Path is very scenic. Moderate/Strenuous inclines most of the way. Few FYI's...Wear good hiking shoes because there are lots of rocks embedded in the trail as well as portions of the trail being sandy. Bring plenty of water with... you will be climbing. Bug spray recommended.Why? There are mosquitos along the trail. They did not bother me but they harassed my wife until we got to the higher elevation. So if you are partial to them coming after you then spray yourself before you head up. Also I would not recommend this trail for kids under 12 due to the constant incline.

If you are currently training your dog to walk on a leash, I highly suggest this trail due the light traffic and wide roads. However, expect a large amount of traffic in the parking lot. The other trails in this canyon are increasingly popular. Beautiful view at the top when it's clear.