San Mateo Canyon Loop Trail

San Mateo Canyon Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near San Clemente, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are no markers on the trail. Hard to tell where you are. Ended up going the wrong way because of no markers. 2.8 miles turned into 4.6. Probably will never go back.

Hiked early March after an above normal rainy season. Found the trails easy and narri with some low muddy spots. Rolling and windy trails was an easy and peaceful hike. The tall grass and shrubs were a nice change.

Nice trail to do with my dog. great views.

I ran the trail as my 6 year old followed in his MTB. The trail was a fine single-track with a lot of twists and turns, something I'm sure the MTBrs enjoy. In some areas the trail is overgrown, which seems impossible since the area is in middle of a severe drought. It's much hotter as you delve deeper into the canyon. Ensure you pack enough water to sustain life. The trail's signage needs improvement as a newcomer to the area I down myself asking local MTBrs about best routes. I will certainly venture back out again and often.