Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

San Mateo Canyon Loop Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(68)
San Clemente, California

San Mateo Canyon Loop Trail [CLOSED] is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near San Clemente, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 472 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Currently closed for COVID-19, please check back for updates.

The trail is grown over at the moment especially in some areas - luckily the map is super accurate so it helps guide you a lot if you are confused which way to go because there are a lot of side trails you could easily get lost on. I went a couple days after it rained and it was pretty muddy in some areas so my shoes are a mess now I give this trail a 3/5 because I like trail running and this one is a bit of an ankle twister - there isn’t really an even path to run on because it’s so narrow so you need to be pretty advanced to run this (I’m just a beginner) but I did enjoy the challenge!

No trail markers. Hard to figure out where to go. Nice view, though.

Great little trail! Perfect to a relaxing hike.

Thu May 02 2019

Lots of snakes this time of year

Fri Apr 26 2019

An OK trail. I started at the San Clemente Dog Park and went left on the trail with my dog and a stroller. We only made it about 1/4 of the way before the trail got too narrow for us. Bring water and wear a hat/ sunglasses.

Sun Apr 21 2019

Overgrown and difficult to find our way even with app. Do not recommend to bring dogs.

Sat Apr 13 2019

Little to no trail markers, bad outline on map

Fri Apr 12 2019

4/2019 trail is still intacted. trail is over grown. this trail system needs a paper map for visitors. the all trails app doesn't have all the trails in the area listed.

Mon Mar 18 2019

Had a run in with a large brown on brown snake about a half mile in. not sure what kind. My dog, kids and I quickly reversed directions to leave. I won't be going back.

Wed Mar 06 2019

It was a good hike for scenery but super muddy I couldn’t even walk we went back in five minutes.

bridge out
Sun Feb 24 2019

Sun Oct 28 2018

First part of the trail is fine. The second half is overgrown as of 4/14/2019. There's lots of stinging nettle. However the view is great and it's really cool walking between walls of seven foot tall stalks of wild mustard on either side of you.

Sat Apr 21 2018

easy chill hike.

Fri Mar 16 2018

I thought this was a great moderate trail. Nice for a family hike and great for mountain biking. beautiful scenery with the military base close by.

Sun Jun 18 2017

Not a great hiking trail but god for mountain biking.

Tue Apr 11 2017

There are no markers on the trail. Hard to tell where you are. Ended up going the wrong way because of no markers. 2.8 miles turned into 4.6. Probably will never go back.

Mon Apr 03 2017

Hiked early March after an above normal rainy season. Found the trails easy and narri with some low muddy spots. Rolling and windy trails was an easy and peaceful hike. The tall grass and shrubs were a nice change.

Sat Dec 10 2016

Nice trail to do with my dog. great views.

Sat Jun 20 2015

I ran the trail as my 6 year old followed in his MTB. The trail was a fine single-track with a lot of twists and turns, something I'm sure the MTBrs enjoy. In some areas the trail is overgrown, which seems impossible since the area is in middle of a severe drought. It's much hotter as you delve deeper into the canyon. Ensure you pack enough water to sustain life. The trail's signage needs improvement as a newcomer to the area I down myself asking local MTBrs about best routes. I will certainly venture back out again and often.