San Luis Rey Bike Path

San Luis Rey Bike Path is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Oceanside, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 82 feet Route Type: Point to Point

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Nice completely paved trail leading to the ocean in Oceanside.

Excellent paved trail, clean, not too busy on a Saturday morning. Scenery changes so it keeps things interesting.

Fantastic out and back trail...

Nicely paved trail for a direct pedestrian/bike route to the harbor, avoiding all automobile traffic until you get to the coast. Great for avoiding oblivious drivers and not having to deal with the nightmare of parking near the beach. Safe environment filled with walkers, runners, cyclists, families, dogs and their humans.

Wed Nov 21 2018

Great bike trail. Safe.

No dogs?? I and a million other people walk their dogs on this paved trail every day wth

Sat Sep 15 2018

Nice trail to bring the parents for an easy evening stroll!

Thu Jul 26 2018

This is a great trail for biking as it goes on for miles with no street crossing to make. Beautiful scenery and tranquil away from road noise. You can really get going fast if you feel the need. We saw Sky Divers descending from the clouds on the way back as we rode past the Oceanside Airport!

Sat Jan 27 2018

A 99.9% flat bike path along an urban riparian area from the valley to the coast. Definitely stroller/family friendly. I love how accessible this makes the beach to families in the valley of Oceanside/Vista. I am visiting family here and the path goes right by their neighborhood and my niece’s junior high; we don’t really have a pedestrian/bike only byway like that where I’m from in Santa Cruz. It’s nice not to be contending with traffic. I walked my sister’s dog along it and had a nice enough time, although I can tell that it would be much more fun if I were a biker. At Mance Buchanan park there is a spot to fill your tires, and I’m sure there are more along the way. Not exactly scenic until you get to the coast; however, I did see quite a bit of wildlife, including a huge coyote that lumbered up onto the path, and lots of birds including hawks or falcons.

Sat Jan 20 2018

Easy family friendly and then you can play at the beach

Sun Jan 14 2018

Fun as f ck

Sun Nov 26 2017

I use this bike path all the time when I wanna ride from vista to the coat

Thu Oct 19 2017

Done this on my road bike many times. Twice I have paced riders for RAAM (Race Across America) they use thus as their starting point from the pier. It's excellent for cycling, jogging or walking. Bring water and snacks if you're going to do point to point or back and forth.

Wed Oct 18 2017

great trip. mostly flat with a few ups and downs as u go under bridges. finally made it to the beach.

Sun Sep 03 2017

A very good trail to walk, jog, or bike on!!!

Mon Jun 19 2017

Great place for running parents. Take your child, and their bike, and run along side with them.

Wed May 31 2017

No motorized vehicles, relatively flat, lovely wildlife!

Sat Sep 10 2016

This is a great trail for biking. I personally wouldn't like walking it- there are just so many cyclists zipping by. It is pretty flat, but be aware that there is a pretty significant hill at the end of the trail. If you have a little beach cruiser with no gears or handbrakes like me, I suggest walking your bike on this last bit. It doesn't look like that bad of a hill, but it is on a curve. I ate the pavement on the way back down and got some road rash and bruises. I suggest leaving that last bit to more experienced cyclists and those with bikes built for that sort of thing.

Sat Aug 20 2016

it was more of a walk than a hike. lots of bike riders and runners, but it was a nice walk....we did 8.4 miles..we turned around before the harbor because of prior commitments, but it could easily be a 12 mile hike...

Thu Aug 04 2016

Good clean trail

Thu Jul 07 2016

This is a great trail for road biking. You can go under all the cross streets so you don't have to wait for traffic signals. I wish it was a bit longer and more scenic.

Sun Jun 26 2016

It was a great long ride!! It good for a down and back ride. Very smooth.

Tue Mar 22 2016

The trail is great. It sometimes gets crowded with lots of bikers so always be aware.

Tue Jan 19 2016

It's really good for long runs as is pretty flat.

Sun Nov 29 2015

Great bike trail that ends at the beach near Oceanside harbor. Other end start at N. Santa Fe & Hwy 76. I love it for running when the dirt trail are wet. Lots of bikers at times so you must pay attention at all times!!!!

Fri Jun 19 2015