San Juan Rapids Trail

San Juan Rapids Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fair Oaks, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy just park in the lot and walk to the trail head

One of my favorite parks, views of the river are great and everything is paved. Very nice.

This is our weekly trail for the last year and half or so.... it’s easy, local and gets you out. Signage is pretty bad but the app keeps you on track. Picnic tables and bathrooms available at Sacramento Bar Park.

This is a beautiful hike. Follow the app and preloaded map, and you'll be fine. I had to stick to the wider path a couple times because the original line of this track is overgrown or covered by water. This is going to be a regular spot for sure. Veer a little off path towards the sounds of Rapids when you reach the back of the high school against the river for a great view. Fantastic.

Wonderful walk and physically very easy to do. What was hard is finding the right paths and trails - the signage lacks! However, using this app which I just downloaded this morning-made it workable

The GPS navigation kept me going down the right pathways. Totally would have been lost with consulting it from time to time.

Lots of colors from wildflowers along the trail. The American River was high from recent rains and was running very swiftly down towards Sacramento.

All in all a nice walk in nature - would do this trail again. I would have not have discovered this trail system with this app.

Loved this trail! So beautiful! Loved feeling out in nature. Easy to get to, lots off side trails, water - so pretty! This moved to our #1 trail for this area. Looking forward to next weekend to go again.

If you're planning on hiking the path listed I strongly suggest using the app or a map. Even using the app we got a bit confused. Very rocky, so wear comfortable shoes. Some nice wildlife by the river. We saw plenty of birds and some sunbathing turtles. Not too many people on the trail when we went. Lots of dogs.

Love this trail. Beautiful and not very busy usually (except for holidays in the summer).

Great trail - really easy to get lost though.

Decent, easy hike, make sure you bring a map it's easy to get lost and walk in circles as there are multiple paths to take.

This hike was great because not only is it challenging, but you are along the American River for part of the trail so you are able to hear the rafters, etc. in the lake. The majority of the hike is very rocky and hilly, but I enjoyed that because it added to the challenge. The hike was predominantly not shaded so I would definitely recommend wearing a hat, sunscreen, and hiking shoes. The path is not marked very well, but once you reach the massive rock pile (it is definitely noticeable) you want to stay on the path that veer towards the left (if you want to reach Bannister Park or the bike trails). Continuing straight will take you around the lake...again :)

Extremely rocky. Also, map is difficult to navigate, as there are a bunch of different paths to take.

I take my dogs on this trail quite a bit. It's in my neighborhood so it's a nice get away when I can't really get away. Easy access. Lots of trails that lead in different directions.

nice fun walk along the river. The dogs enjoy it.

very nice trail. kids enjoyed themselves

Monday, March 06, 2017

This is a beautiful trail but you can get lost easy. It took me 45 minutes to find the main road back to my car. I give it 4 stars because every dog I saw was off a leash

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Nice little trail and not difficult, but some places are rocky so maybe not a good one if you are unsteady. Finding your way to the main trail if you wander is easy enough (especially with the app).

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

What a piece of crap park. NO TRAIL SIGNS! NO MAPS AVAILALBE! IF THERE WERE BLOCKED TRAILS BECAUSE OF FLOODING - PUT SIGNS OUT!!!
I'm recovering from hip surgery and wanted a medium length walk. I immediately became lost. I did not see another human for over 45 minutes and Google maps was useless. Called 911 and they couldn't do a thing. The operator had never heard of the place.
Shame on whoever is in charge of making this area safe and accessible.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Lots of flora-miner's lettuce and milk thistle. Found a beautiful oak tree that had to be over a hundred years old. Was flooded in spots so we couldn't make the whole loop.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

fun trails with lots of adventures along the way. Will be back!

Monday, September 12, 2016

Some areas of hard walking on small rocks but well worth it once you get to the river.

Thursday, September 01, 2016

It's ok not marked well but fun little trail

Monday, August 08, 2016

This trail is very badly marked. I saw one sign and ended up on fire access roads with no idea where the trail was. I looked for trail maps on the City of Fair Oaks web site but could not find one. I ended up getting so lost I could not find my way back to the parking lot. Luckily, the Sherrif/Ranger was very helpful and kind, found me and gave me a ride back to my car.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Perfect for an early evening jog

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nice trek for me and the dogs. I got "off trail" and a nice guy pointed us back in the right direction. River was fun for the dogs to dip. :)

Monday, July 04, 2016

Fun easy trail. Saw a lynx which was pretty awesome.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Hot, but great trails. River access was an awesome find! Kids did great & strollers made it.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Great place to go and walk around.

Friday, May 27, 2016

This is a nice trail for beginning hikers. The trails are well marked with some off trail areas with a bit more challenge but nothing overt daunting.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Today out with my dog on the trail I saw a large lynx crossing the path about 35 feet in front of me. He was so quite my dog never saw him. It was incredible.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Pretty decent lil trail. nice walk along the river. just watch out for people living along the river.