San Juan Loop

San Juan Loop is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Loop

loved this. perfect length for us with kids (6 & 7). we climbed down into the rocky creek bed where there were small waterfalls. there were guys climbing up the rock face which was nerve wracking and thrilling to watch. down thru the mountain valley. loved this hike! we did this 1/1/20.

Nice quick 2 miles. Weather was perfect. Get here early since the parking lot fills up quickly. Would do again.

Beautiful trail with oak and maple trees. Some unshaded areas. Beautiful spot for a photo by the creek. We didn’t bring our water filter to try it, maybe next time. I wouldn’t call it a big scramble, but definitely rocks to maneuver around. It rained a few weeks ago, and the trail was slightly damp, not really muddy. Looking to come back.

Beautiful trail, some spots are rocky, but most of the hike is not. There is a stream on this hike which is also really nice. Really enjoyed taking my baby too, it’s definitely do-able with kids.

Very doable trail and clean and nice!

We live this trail, its got streams ( tho low ), rocks, up and down, sun and shade. This time of year very few bugs, great for trail running too!

Great trail! The loop takes you through the mountains and down to the creek bed. The creek was full of water but we were still able to access the trail and stay dry. Very easy and enjoyable, would definitely do it again. Took us 45 minutes (we entered at the trail head sign and returned on the side of the parking lot - would recommend going this way as it is less up-hill than starting at the entrance near the restrooms).

did this rain today fairly dangerous

I’m a beginner at MTB extremely out of shape, I was on my way to an easy trail and it was closed so I tried this loop. Starting where the San Juan loop sign is it goes down hill, very rocky, I didn’t ride the bike through some of these parts, then the trail is clear and it starts going uphill. At the lowest point there’s some shade. Overall nice views. I’d do it again without a bike.

Great quick moderate trail. It took me and my husband an hour. My husband was wearing a weight vest. The all trails map worked great! The river was dry but it was still beautiful out with perfect weather.

Absolutely great trail! This trail was great for a quick (1.5 hour) hike with great views and nothing too challenging. Only complaint might be the amount of bugs, but it wasn’t anything too crazy and didn’t really take away from the journey at all.

great trail. You can tell there were some rains in the spring since there were more than a few washes, but they weren't too deep. Nothing that you can't step over.

This is my favorite after work, don’t want to deal with traffic hike. The last time here I was somewhat bumped by all the Yucca flower stalks being knocked over by vandals but the hike was still enjoyable and I had many occasions to stop and take pictures. The deeper into summer we get, the more important it is to remember to bring water with us.

Absolutely beautiful, easy hike. Water was flowing and very refreshing for a short splash trek. Reason for my 3 star rating: Watch out, we encountered a young rattlesnake directly in the center of the trail that we narrowly walked right into.. And about 10 minutes farther down the path encountered a large tarantula (not poisonous, but still a bit shocking) again, directly in the center of the trail. So be vigilant, especially with dogs or young children and hiking later in the afternoon.

Good trail. Could use some cut back or more hikers from fauna. The bottom waterfall could be easier to access. Moderate is a good rating. Would definitely do again!

This was the first hike I did alone to conquer my fear. I am no longer afraid. it's beautiful out here.

We started a little late so we were feeling the sun, but it is such a beautiful hike it didn't matter. Take the loop clockwise from the parking lot so the waterfall is the payoff at the end.

Hiked with Terri this morning, her first hike

Mon Dec 03 2018

Fun little hike. Second time around I took the husband and our youngest 4 with us. They had a blast although they argue that the hike is longer than 2.1 miles but I think because they were tired and that was their first time.

Sat Dec 01 2018

Cool little hike, went with the kids and dog. Everyone was friendly, went to the candy store after. Met the owner of the store, super nice lady! Overall had a great time!