San Juan Hill

San Juan Hill is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Yorba Linda, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from November until May.

This would have been a great hike if I had a not hiked alone, I did 9 miles, and went up to San Juan, that part was great. However, i went 2 hours and 15 minutes without seeing another human, very unsettling, and I hiked 3+ miles down in the valley and had something following me in the trees. I blue my air horn a few times and it stopped. There are active mountain lions here, don't hike alone, be smarter than me

Went today, lower canyon portion was really green. Good views from the ridge, looking forward to coming back.

Good hike but not much shade

Sunday, January 29, 2017

It was great. Tumbleweed in walk way and dirt was wet since it rained recently. very nice though

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Great place to hike if you like hiking hills.

Friday, October 28, 2016

I started out at Rimcrest and hiked to San Juan then down the backside into the other side of the park then back down telegraph to McDermitt and up to Northridge trail then on to Gilman peek down the backside and up Easy Street to finish up Good training hike.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Lots of tumble weeds, and dry. I just stayed on so. ridge

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Great casual hike with our dog. Had fantastic views of Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, and all of Orange County as well as the canyon behind. Good steady climb.

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Went on a beautiful cool December morning the views were incredible and got better at the top. Hike was pretty tough but I am not in good shape and did it so it can't be that hard. I really enjoyed it and would definitely do it again

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

6.4 miles takes you to the highest point in Chino Hills State Park. Grasslands, steep hills, oak trees, an almost dry Creek and city views make this a hike I truly enjoyed.
I saw bobcats playing in the grass (see pics) and coyotes in the hills. Stay on the trail, bring lots of water and sunscreen. Shade is limited, so a hat or cap is sensible.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Good hike in winter/spring when the rains make everything green. Seriously it's like beautiful! (Photos to prove it) if you plan right you can see baldy' snow packed peak, Saddleback, Catalina and all of the Northern OC from San Juan hill. Take water, lip balm, sunscreen, and be careful of rattle snakes and yes even mountain lions. One stalked some walkers I passed.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Went on this trail for the first time yesterday. It's good for an after work hike. I was alone so I only went in 1.5 mi
And back but there was some pretty good hills. Definitely would be a good workout at a fast pace. Nice maintained wide trail. No shade but great views.

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

I hiked this about a year ago....it was my 1st bigger hike. Such an awesome feeling of accomplishment to reach the top. What a rewarding view. It definitely has a lot of inclines. I found myself breathing hard but with building your endurance this definitely improves as you continue to train. This trail does not have very many markers so best to go with someone more experienced at least the first few times:) Very good workout and beautiful views.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

A great morning hike for those that live in YL. Super views and a Geo marker as well! Easy, trail and impossible to get lost. it's a good start to trekking the other trails in the Chino Hills Park.

Sunday, September 15, 2013

San Juan Hill is the highest point in Chino Hills State Park offering 360 degree views of Orange, Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. (Date hiked: December 3, 2011.) Read the full write-up at: http://www.greeneadventures.com/2013/01/06/charging-up-san-juan-hill-the-highest-point-in-chino-hills-state-park/

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Very nice views of cities and mountains. San Juan Hill is said to be the highest point in the area. You get a full panoramic view. Trails are well maintained. Even saw a cow grazing away and a red tail hawk

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Hiked from Yorba Linda into Chino Hills State Park to San Juan Hill and back with my hubby on 5/26/12. It was a sunny day with a cool breeze, so we were ok to start at 3pm. However, there is no shade, so I recommend starting early on a hot day. Almost no one was on the trail, but we were passed by several cyclists practically flying down the hill. We have not been hiking a lot lately, so this was a great workout for us. It's an uphill climb most of the way there, but not very steep and broken up with level paths throughout. Not very lush by this time of the year, but still some wildflowers to enjoy. The view is the reason to do this hike. Spectacular viewpoints of Orange County all along the way. The panoramic view at the top of San Juan Hill is worth the final push to get there. (Watch for the wooden sign directing you onto a narrower, grassy side path to get up the hill.)

Monday, November 07, 2011

One of my favorite hikes in Chino Hills State Park. I love it in the spring when its green and yellow everywhere. There is a neat old marker up top too.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Nice wide cleared trails. Great views. Not many people, one biker. Lots of tarantulas , a few small snakes!!! Beautiful day; good hike.

Monday, June 05, 2017