San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary - Treehill, South Loop, Midway Trails

San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary - Treehill, South Loop, Midway Trails is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Irvine, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running.

No overnight parking. Parking is free.

Good loop for a walk with kids. Not very shady though.

It's more of a walk than a hike. Beautiful wildlife sanctuary makes for a nice stroll.

Don't go right now. Apparently it's closed for improvements until Spring 2017. Just a heads up. I wish someone would have warned us.

it's a nice and relaxing trail but sometimes smells a bit odd and iron like, a nice place to bird watch as one of the stations has a list where you can write down the birds you saw.
not my to go to spot since I prefer hiking away from civilization. but a nice walk nonetheless.

Nice easy trail good don an afternoon family walk.

Lots of traffic noise, more of a pleasant walk than a hike. Great for bird watching.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Over the river and through the woods, Southern California style. 300 acres and 12 miles of trails. This has become my go to place to run and meditate. There has always been something about being in nature that grounds me like nothing else and research says that nature is proven to inspire creativity
I'm 57 and started running for the first time in my life, a few months ago, beginning with a gentle walk/run circuit. The trails are a combination of decomposed granite, gravel, and dirt, so between these soft surfaces and my HOKA trail running footwear, I have been successfully running since July without any knee problems.
I highly recommend this oasis of nature in OC. I was born in New York, and I consider this wildlife sanctuary to be the Irvine version of NYC's Central Park. Love it.
Do yourself a favor and explore this hidden gem.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Really nice once you get on the correct path. We didn't use the record on here so we started on the wrong road but eventually got to pond and water and beautiful. Tons of birds. Beautiful tress. A little close to construction but still really nice day in park.

Friday, August 12, 2016

Nice easy hike for everyone in the family, great place to view birds and flowers trees etc...etc...lady in the welcome center was wonderful and very knowledgeable, stop by and say hello!

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Good hike. I recommend using the entrance off university and campus. The one alltrails leads you too has trails that are closed.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Amazing conditions for long hikes

Friday, May 13, 2016

Good for running. Well maintained paths and lots of options to mix up the route. Lots of construction around though.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Beautiful trail with lots of different options for exploring. Easy stroll or a nice and level run. Awesome for birding and photography. There's some construction which can make it kind of hard to find the trail head. But, parking was easy!

Monday, March 21, 2016

Nice oasis in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of Irvine. Want to explore more of the area, we didn't get the part where the water is off of campus so we will return soon!

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Beautiful trail! Very green with nice side trails and shade. Mainly flat and easy hiking. Waterfall 3.8 miles in and great views.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

If your a birder, this is the place for you ! Excellent birding year around.

Monday, February 03, 2014

Nice walking trail on a flat gravel path. No shade but very pretty pond areas and lots of aquatic and other bird watching. No dogs or bikes allowed.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

A great nature trail right in the middle of the city. Lot of different paths so you can walk as short or as long as you want. Plenty of birds since this is a sanctuary. Another place I could walk daily if it was within walking from my house.