San Joaquin River Walk

San Joaquin River Walk is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fresno, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 98 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

great!

I don’t recommend this trail. Trash everywhere! You have to park at the golf course to enter the paved path or go in at different bike trail entrances. It’s paved for a little bit and then it’s just a dirt/sand path that’s not maintained so the plants are overgrown. Some plants have needles or thorns that stick to you and might hurt your dog. The spot is famous for homeless people. I went on this trail yesterday and there were also people shooting their guns with disregard of others. Definitely not a place to go alone or after hours, very sketchy. There is a small slope/hill at the beginning of the trail. Also there is a rope swing down at the river by the entrance of the trail but it’s really steep to get down to the river.

I bike ride here before and also fished. nice place to swim when the water is low and steady.

This is my favorite place in town to bring my dog. There are rarely other people there and I can just let him run and play fetch in the river. Just wish there was less trash. Gotta watch what he's getting into.

I would not recommend this trail. There is trash, torn clothes and overgrown, dead plants all over the path. You pass the dumpsters of the adjacent golf course on the trail. Also, there are what seem to be abandoned tents where people used to live.

Towards the end of the hike where you rejoin the original trail that comes from the golf course parking lot, you have a tough little climb where the loop ends. could be difficult with little kids. on your way down , give it a looksey. just past the aquaduct waterfall thing with the graffiti. -DB -IB -JB -KB

I live near this trail and recently we had the San Joaquin River Parkway organize a huge trash clean up. It was super successful we hauled out shopping carts, bbq’s, and many bags of trash. Every couple of weeks I try to contact the city about improvements of safety and trail conditions but the only good thing that’s come of it has been from the Stewardship program at San Joaquin River Parkway. Fingers crossed it gets better but in the meantime come enjoy the cleaned up area!

Somewhat pretty with a neat view of the train bridge, however it didn't feel very safe and made my husband uneasy.

I was surprised by how clean this trail was after reading some of the reviews, someone has really worked to improve the space! There is obviously some use by people not making an effort but nothing like what I expected. We thoroughly enjoyed this short walk along the river! I especially like all the new shrubs planted in what I suppose is an effort to create a riparian zone.

Nice walk but there's a lot of vandalism and trash.

So sad that the River Parkway doesn’t maintain their trail, trash, glass, overgrown vegetation, dead trees... putting together a volunteer walk to clean this place up, check Nextdoor if you live in the area and would like to participate!

Very beautiful but there has been increased littering and vandalism unfortunately. My dog loves going here.

Good fishing spots and a great walking trail.

Very poorly maintained, lots of homeless camps,trash everywhere, the walk isn’t even along the river, saw used gloves along trail. Very sketchy.

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

I’ve been waiting for 40 years for decent, public access to our river in Fresno and this is a joke. When I was a kid the police would chase us out of this area because the land “near” it was owned by a golf course which would call the police when they saw anyone (not on golf course property) so at least people have a right to be here now but you can barely get a bike through the gate and it’s unclear where boundaries are, not to mention it seems virtually unmaintained. Fresno is a great example of too much private ownership of a natural resource like this river that should freely accessible and safely maintained for everyone. God, I hope the path from Woodward park is eventually connected to this point as planned but I fear I’ll be too old to enjoy it by then. Maybe my children can enjoy it by the time they are middle aged

Monday, July 09, 2018

Not really nice. Lots of trash and graffiti littering the path. Path is only paved alongside the golf course. You’d have to veer of path considerably to get close to water. Seemed to be several homeless camps along the path, didn’t feel too safe even in broad daylight.

Sunday, April 08, 2018

Not a very nice view of the San Joaquin and not what I was expecting. Sadly, the trail is polluted with trash and graffiti.

Friday, December 22, 2017

A nice hike to do with kids. No parking lot, just neighborhood street parking.