San Joaquin River Trail is a 17.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Friant, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 17.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,837 feet Route Type: Out & Back

56 minutes ago

Start in the AM! I like to go finegold to gorge.

Very difficult for mountain biking unless you have a lightweight aluminum bike hardtail. One of my older trek hybrid or Giant hardtail bikes maybe but you also need reinforced tubes because there are many rocks on trail some large and sharp. Had to walk my bike up a lot of Rocky slippery switchbacks. Cow poop is EVERYWHERE. can slow down your bike ride unless your willing to plow thru it. Seriously. Cow poop for miles. I got shouted at by some young dumb drunk boaters. Boaters will also try to physically touch and harass the cows I saw it happen. I IG kred th r loud boaters and their entitled butts went away. Will use my camelback next time because excess water is necessary Trust me on this. Little to no shade available.

Hot day - pretty exposed trail A swim was very refreshing though! And w this lockdown, no boats - including the drunk boat drivers maneuvering dangerously. So the gorge is much quieter right now. Wildflowers still gorgeous but a little bit less spectacular than last week so we are passed the peak of their prime time

Wildflowers prime time Gorgeous

Super awesome trail from start to finish; there’s stuff to see every part of the way. I would definitely say that the halfway turn around point is very anticlimactic, so I wouldn’t necessarily recommend going to the end although it was a ton of fun. Great views of the river throughout and you get fairly close to the water.

Am I able to hike there, spend the night there then head back the next day?

Tough, but I made it. Love!!!!!

Love,Love,Love this trail!! ALWAYS a challenge...run it often, always stuff to see. trail is really never too over grown but there are always trees down. for the most part they keep them cut usually the more miles your out chances are u may have to go over or around them(look out for snakes!) they are deffanity in force

its a tough way to go i dident make it to the end overestimate how difficult it would ve on the way back but for sure a ride to test your limits

I did the first 3 miles of this trail up to the 2nd gate and returned. I went in the evening so the mountain blocked the sun, otherwise you would be in the sun. There is little shade. There are some inclines and rocky areas. It’s a very nice hike with views of the windey river.

Start early to beat the heat and crowd. Great early summer hike.

Tue May 28 2019

We did half the trail distance today. Perfect weather, not many people on it. The climb up near Pincushion, coming back, was more than I wanted. But beautiful scenery, good trail for elevation change training.

Sat Mar 23 2019

A lot of cow dung on the trail but very pretty views of the gorge. Trails are filling with wild flowers right now and the spring run off is keeping everything green. Get out and do this one.

bridge out
Wed Mar 06 2019

I completely under estimated this trail. There's a lot of little up and downs after doing the big climb up to the Pincushion junction, then down to the gorge. I also wasn't expecting to forward streams. The end of the trail isn't really an end, you'll get a notification of a verified completion when you get there if you have this app running. I think the trail keeps going all the way to Pa'San. I packed a heavy pack roughly 45lbs which included 9 liters of water and food. (Training for the JMT) I only drank about 3.5 liters of water the whole trip and had a few bars with jerky. The trail doesn't need a lot just at least 3 liters of water and snacks.

Sat Jan 26 2019

FINEGOLD BAY COW TRAIL EXCURSION

Sun Jan 06 2019

kicked my butt! Perfect for Half Dome training in the foothills!

Sat Nov 17 2018

great for mountain biking

Sun Aug 26 2018

Fast and thrilling going down (just be aware of other hikers/bikers) definitely a challenge riding up and some bumpy terrain. Came across 3 downed trees. Rode on a hardtail. Take plenty of water! Filled my 2L camelpak and almost finished it and i went in the early AM hours

Mon Aug 20 2018

amazing view ☺️ excellent workout

Sat Jun 23 2018

Great, exerting hike....

Mon May 07 2018

Warning: NOT for mountain biking. Hiking, yes. Mountain biking, no!

Wed May 02 2018

It’s got damn hard but I love it. The view is amazing and the trail conditions are good to great. I’m not too sure about the fences but they keep the cows contained. You have to go to the peak! That’s all I’m gonna say. Enjoy

Sun Apr 29 2018

Pretty great trail. App is wrong in distance more like 20 miles if you do the trail the app has.