San Joaquin River Trail

San Joaquin River Trail is a 17.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Friant, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great, exerting hike....

Warning: NOT for mountain biking. Hiking, yes. Mountain biking, no!

It’s got damn hard but I love it. The view is amazing and the trail conditions are good to great. I’m not too sure about the fences but they keep the cows contained. You have to go to the peak! That’s all
I’m gonna say. Enjoy

Pretty great trail. App is wrong in distance more like 20 miles if you do the trail the app has.

This is a long one! Got up at 7 got there 7:30 and didn’t get home till 5 or so. I took it to temperance. Really pretty great for spring or fall. Pack lots of water and snacks you’ll need it. Bikers do this trail a lot do be mindful of them. Over all great all day hike

Millerton Lake State Recreation describes this as a multi-use trail, i.e. hike, bike, horse. It does not list dogs. Check out no dogs signs in South Finegold where this trail begins.

Loved the hike, it was intense but worth it.

Did the SJRT50K ultramarathon hosted by Fleet Feet Sports out of Fresno. We started at Finegold campground and did a 16 miles out and back. There was also a 100k going on too for those brave souls. The 50k had over 5,000ft of gain with spectacular views of the Millerton Lake crossing 2 bridges. Will definately do this race next year.

Beautiful views and a lot of unique spots to stop and have a picnic.

The BLM extended this trail all the way to the Gorge. The trail is 14.7 miles one way and if you want you can add the pa'san ridge trail wich is a 8 mile loop.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Watch for biting flies.. it is a pretty tough trail especially if temp reaches beyond 85 degrees i have hiked 7 miles in usually no ppl in that far.. its an ok trail.. great for the challenge.. take plenty of water if u plan to hike in that far in the summer.. and least 4 liters of water..

Saturday, June 17, 2017

This trail was absolutely gorgeous. We enjoyed the views so much because every step you take is a perfect photo! Nature at its finest. However, it is easy peasy to get confused/lost. The trail has no signs after the very beginning. Plus, it diverges multiple times! We assumed that when the trail split into two that it would eventually converge again...but it didn't. It actually kept splitting into different ways you could go! Different pathways lead to different destinations and like I said, there are no signs after the very beginning to guide you and make sure you're still on the right trail! I was fortunate to have my hiking partner whose sense of direction is much better that mine so that we could find our way back! Lol We hiked for 6 whole hours...just caught up in all the beauty. The Fields of Gold at the top of the mountain was the very best :)

Friday, June 16, 2017

Beautiful! I'm just not in the Best of Hiking shape...this trail showed me that!! But..Great& Beautiful

Friday, June 02, 2017

Great XC MTB trail. Also good for walking. Best from late fall to late spring.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Loved it, I took my dog along.

Friday, May 12, 2017

Really nice. River was beautiful. Not a lot of places to sit down in the shade for a break to give you a heads up. Not a lot of people on the trail. In the beginning it's a lot of going up so be prepared :) it's worth it though.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Good trail. First mile or so is the most difficult. Even though it's not technically part of this trail, the Pincushion Peak detour is well worth it at the beginning! Stopping point suggested by AllTrails is a little anticlimactic.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Love it, nice scene, a quick hardcore hike.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The hill climb in the first mile or two is tough, but the rest is fairly moderate.

Friday, April 07, 2017

Pincushion was hard but fun. Some pretty views. Lots of trash. Also watch out for cow poop! I will probably do this hike more. It's decently close to town, a great work out, and the trail head is right next to the lake. 3.5 stars from me.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Not too hard and the kids (11, 8, 5) did well on this trail

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Visited the San Joaquin River Trail today it was a nice hike with some beautiful views. It got pretty tough at certain points but I enjoyed it! Loved all the flowers I will definitely be back!

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Harder than I thought but well worth it.

Monday, March 13, 2017

radical trail. definitely going back again. many great look out points

Monday, March 13, 2017

Hard but good!!!!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Sunday, March 05, 2017

The parking lot is currently closed so we had to park along the road. We walked through the parking lot to access the trail entrance.
We took the Pincushion route, it was amazing. The hike was tough but the views were well worth it!!

Wednesday, March 01, 2017

Scenic views of poppies, the lake, and grassy hills. A good amount of cows around the trail so watch out for their presents. It's an easy hike with a lot to offer - awesome lunch spot at the top of Pincushion. The only issue I noticed was the lack of signage where the trail splits in a couple places. Other than that, highly recommended if you're in the area and want some fresh air!

Friday, February 17, 2017

Late February hike after a long winter of good rain in Central CA. The poppies and wildflowers were absolutely stunning!! We hiked up from the lake @ the Fine Gold Creek Rec area and hiked it to Big Bend just over 2.5 miles in. That 1st mile up the hill is not easy but once you crest the ridge it's a comfortable rolling walk. Lot's of people but I wouldn't call it crowded. We took a nice bread at Big Bend with a great view of the valley then worked our way back to the the starting point. We're planning on doing this again soon as the flowers should be just as amazing in 2017.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

Loved it! BUT I'll be back to continue & finish it... first time and wow it was isn't easy, it's been awhile... definitely a good one!