San Joaquin River Trail

San Joaquin River Trail is a 18.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Friant, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pincushion Peak is a 5 mile out and back trail located near Friant, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking & mountain biking.

1 hour ago

Love it, nice scene, a quick hardcore hike.

The hill climb in the first mile or two is tough, but the rest is fairly moderate.

Pincushion was hard but fun. Some pretty views. Lots of trash. Also watch out for cow poop! I will probably do this hike more. It's decently close to town, a great work out, and the trail head is right next to the lake. 3.5 stars from me.

Not too hard and the kids (11, 8, 5) did well on this trail

Visited the San Joaquin River Trail today it was a nice hike with some beautiful views. It got pretty tough at certain points but I enjoyed it! Loved all the flowers I will definitely be back!

Harder than I thought but well worth it.

radical trail. definitely going back again. many great look out points

Hard but good!!!!

The parking lot is currently closed so we had to park along the road. We walked through the parking lot to access the trail entrance.
We took the Pincushion route, it was amazing. The hike was tough but the views were well worth it!!

Scenic views of poppies, the lake, and grassy hills. A good amount of cows around the trail so watch out for their presents. It's an easy hike with a lot to offer - awesome lunch spot at the top of Pincushion. The only issue I noticed was the lack of signage where the trail splits in a couple places. Other than that, highly recommended if you're in the area and want some fresh air!

Late February hike after a long winter of good rain in Central CA. The poppies and wildflowers were absolutely stunning!! We hiked up from the lake @ the Fine Gold Creek Rec area and hiked it to Big Bend just over 2.5 miles in. That 1st mile up the hill is not easy but once you crest the ridge it's a comfortable rolling walk. Lot's of people but I wouldn't call it crowded. We took a nice bread at Big Bend with a great view of the valley then worked our way back to the the starting point. We're planning on doing this again soon as the flowers should be just as amazing in 2017.