Learn more

San Jacinto River South Fork [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(34)
San Bernardino National Forest

San Jacinto River South Fork [CLOSED] is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Center, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,056 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

NOTE: As of July 2019, this trail is closed. There is a large washout near the trailhead. Please check here for more information: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sbnf/recarea/?recid=26493

closed
Sun Jul 07 2019

Sun Oct 28 2018

I'd give this trail a 5 for trail views and a 3 for destination. It's a fairly level trek with beautiful views for 2 miles. The steep descent down to the San Jacito River was not worth it for a dry river bed. Ot may be in the spring when water is flowing, but otherwise, I recommend stopping before the descent and instead taking the shoot off trail about 1 3/4 miles in that lets you get a better "photographers" view of the mountain range.

Wed Jun 20 2018

Great trail, for as far as we could make it. Rookie move to 1) start at 11am in June ack! too hot! 2) not have proper footwear.. flip-flops? duh and 3) wanted to walk, but ended up carrying my 3.4 lb Yorkie with me (see reason (1)! ah! lesson learned but! I will look forward to a Fall or early Spring do-over

Sun May 13 2018

Great hike - very peaceful and beautiful views! My family and I were alone on a Saturday. We only passed one other family who was on their way out when we started.

Fri Apr 06 2018

Nice leisure hike. Brought kids ages 5-17 and they all enjoyed and were able to walk up no problem.

Fri Mar 02 2018

trail was great, awesome view from the side of the mountain, trail is wide enough for 2 people to walk side by side for most of the trail.

Sun Feb 18 2018

nice hike in. No overgrowth as stated by others. Meet a great couple with kids. My fog loved the hike as much as I did. Will come back again. This is a hike you should be Waring hiking boots and pants

Wed Jan 24 2018

this is a beautiful trail very easy and fun for the whole family to go,and get away from the city i went ant did not see any body else.

Wed Jan 03 2018

I absolutely LOVED this hike! We went on this trail on a Sunday afternoon in December and only met one other hiker on the trail! It's very peaceful here and the views surrounding the trail are STUNNING!!!! We hiked about half of the trail before heading back! Highly recommend this trail! Click on the photos to see the photos I took while hiking! www.kiweddingphotography.com

Fri Oct 06 2017

Beautiful hike. If you bring dogs make sure you bring water for them as the creek isn’t until the very end of the hike. We didn’t have a lot of time to explore but at the bottom where the creek is, it’s very thick and we got into some stinging nettles (not the end of the world, but they still hurt). I would also mention that the mileage of this hike is a little longer than it states. I would say easy enough for kids.

Mon Sep 18 2017

Great hike, keep going all the way to the river it's a beautiful little spot. The whole hike took about 2 hrs travel time

Wed Jun 07 2017

is off road permitted

Sun May 28 2017

Went again early on a Saturday, Memorial Weekend. No other hikers seen, I don't think too many hikers use this trail. The trail is getting a bit overgrown towards the end, but still easy to follow. I wouldn't take a dog as there are lots of burrs and foxtails now. Do not take horses no matter what the descrption says! Way too narrow and rocky at some parts. The 1st creek is dry and the 2nd is kind of stagnant, if that's what you're hoping to do at the end it's probably not the best idea. We could hear water flowing but couldn't see how to get to it, so there might be a good hidden spot somewhere. On the way back the bugs and flies were almost unbearable, even sprayed ourselves 3 times and it didn't help. I could see them all swarming my head in my shadow! Still a nice hike, we will go again!

Sun Apr 02 2017

This is a moderate trail, about 6 miles out and back. We went on a Saturday at 9 am and saw no other hikers the entire time. Varying terrain, flat, rocky, hills, shade, sun. This trail has it all. Large creek at the end of a pretty steep drop, I had to stop a few times on the way back but the guys had no trouble. Narrow at some places and would definitely not take a horse on this trail and probably not even dogs. Saw evidence of coyotes and snakes. Great spot for a picnic at the end and it appears some use the area to camp. Have fun!

Fri Feb 03 2017

this was an awesome trial. a bit hard going back up from the creek at the bottom but we'll worth it.

Sat May 25 2019