San Jacinto River South Fork

San Jacinto River South Fork is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Center, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Take the Interstate 215 south from Riverside and exit at Case Road/Highway 74 east toward Hemet. Drive for 29.4 miles until just beyond the hairpin turn known as White Post. Turn and park on the right at the signed South Fork trailhead. GPS: N33 41.51 / W116 45.36

Great trail, for as far as we could make it. Rookie move to 1) start at 11am in June ack! too hot! 2) not have proper footwear.. flip-flops? duh and 3) wanted to walk, but ended up carrying my 3.4 lb Yorkie with me (see reason (1)!
ah! lesson learned but! I will look forward to a Fall or early Spring do-over

Great hike - very peaceful and beautiful views! My family and I were alone on a Saturday. We only passed one other family who was on their way out when we started.

Nice leisure hike. Brought kids ages 5-17 and they all enjoyed and were able to walk up no problem.

trail was great, awesome view from the side of the mountain, trail is wide enough for 2 people to walk side by side for most of the trail.

nice hike in. No overgrowth as stated by others. Meet a great couple with kids. My fog loved the hike as much as I did. Will come back again. This is a hike you should be Waring hiking boots and pants

this is a beautiful trail very easy and fun for the whole family to go,and get away from the city i went ant did not see any
body else.

I absolutely LOVED this hike! We went on this trail on a Sunday afternoon in December and only met one other hiker on the trail! It's very peaceful here and the views surrounding the trail are STUNNING!!!! We hiked about half of the trail before heading back! Highly recommend this trail! Click on the photos to see the photos I took while hiking!

www.kiweddingphotography.com

Beautiful hike. If you bring dogs make sure you bring water for them as the creek isn’t until the very end of the hike. We didn’t have a lot of time to explore but at the bottom where the creek is, it’s very thick and we got into some stinging nettles (not the end of the world, but they still hurt). I would also mention that the mileage of this hike is a little longer than it states. I would say easy enough for kids.

Great hike, keep going all the way to the river it's a beautiful little spot. The whole hike took about 2 hrs travel time

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

is off road permitted

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Went again early on a Saturday, Memorial Weekend. No other hikers seen, I don't think too many hikers use this trail. The trail is getting a bit overgrown towards the end, but still easy to follow. I wouldn't take a dog as there are lots of burrs and foxtails now. Do not take horses no matter what the descrption says! Way too narrow and rocky at some parts.
The 1st creek is dry and the 2nd is kind of stagnant, if that's what you're hoping to do at the end it's probably not the best idea. We could hear water flowing but couldn't see how to get to it, so there might be a good hidden spot somewhere.
On the way back the bugs and flies were almost unbearable, even sprayed ourselves 3 times and it didn't help. I could see them all swarming my head in my shadow!
Still a nice hike, we will go again!

Sunday, April 02, 2017

This is a moderate trail, about 6 miles out and back. We went on a Saturday at 9 am and saw no other hikers the entire time. Varying terrain, flat, rocky, hills, shade, sun. This trail has it all. Large creek at the end of a pretty steep drop, I had to stop a few times on the way back but the guys had no trouble. Narrow at some places and would definitely not take a horse on this trail and probably not even dogs. Saw evidence of coyotes and snakes. Great spot for a picnic at the end and it appears some use the area to camp. Have fun!

Friday, February 03, 2017

this was an awesome trial. a bit hard going back up from the creek at the bottom but we'll worth it.

Thursday, May 04, 2017