San Jacinto River South Fork

San Jacinto River South Fork is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Center, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Take the Interstate 215 south from Riverside and exit at Case Road/Highway 74 east toward Hemet. Drive for 29.4 miles until just beyond the hairpin turn known as White Post. Turn and park on the right at the signed South Fork trailhead. GPS: N33 41.51 / W116 45.36

is off road permitted

Went again early on a Saturday, Memorial Weekend. No other hikers seen, I don't think too many hikers use this trail. The trail is getting a bit overgrown towards the end, but still easy to follow. I wouldn't take a dog as there are lots of burrs and foxtails now. Do not take horses no matter what the descrption says! Way too narrow and rocky at some parts.
The 1st creek is dry and the 2nd is kind of stagnant, if that's what you're hoping to do at the end it's probably not the best idea. We could hear water flowing but couldn't see how to get to it, so there might be a good hidden spot somewhere.
On the way back the bugs and flies were almost unbearable, even sprayed ourselves 3 times and it didn't help. I could see them all swarming my head in my shadow!
Still a nice hike, we will go again!

This is a moderate trail, about 6 miles out and back. We went on a Saturday at 9 am and saw no other hikers the entire time. Varying terrain, flat, rocky, hills, shade, sun. This trail has it all. Large creek at the end of a pretty steep drop, I had to stop a few times on the way back but the guys had no trouble. Narrow at some places and would definitely not take a horse on this trail and probably not even dogs. Saw evidence of coyotes and snakes. Great spot for a picnic at the end and it appears some use the area to camp. Have fun!

this was an awesome trial. a bit hard going back up from the creek at the bottom but we'll worth it.