San Jacinto Peak (The Middle Way) Trail

San Jacinto Peak (The Middle Way) Trail is a 14.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

I love hiking this area.

Completed on 3/11/17 after a very snowy winter. Still lots of snow and ice. The route isn't really that difficult in terms of distance and elevation change. But it's quite challenging in snow/ice conditions. I did not bring snowshoes and it was a huge mistake. Devil's Slide portion (lower 2,000ish ft), I would advise having mirco-spikes as the trail crosses several steep icy slopes, slipping would not end well. Once at Saddle Junction, it's all deep snow from there on. Once you cross into the state park area, it gets most demoralizing without snow-shoes. The trail is not visible (unless you find tracks) and very deep. Me and several others bypassed the large NE-pointed switchback near the top to ascend straight up onto the ridge and directly access the summit, mountaineering style. On the return trip, I ditched the "trail" and followed the ridge-line south (around the west side of the fist couple peaks), then turned SE and followed the ridge down to where the trail crosses into the state park. It was much better, and provided amazing views down into Idylwild. Check in with Ranger Station before doing this in snow, have proper gear, and start early. But the summit is worth it!

Best hike so far of the six packs of peak (this was number 5). Highly recommend this route over deer springs and the steeper 11 mile route. Scenic, challenging but doable, and well marked.

This was a very challenging trail. If you do this hike make sure you are conditioned. The trail had amazing views throughout the entire trail. The peak's view was amazing. Highly recommended.

excellent trail. well maintained. looks like some recent maintenance on some of the over growth area's along acouple different sections along the trail. arrived at devils slide at 6:30 am. took the two of us just about seven hours which included acouple breaks and about a 45 minute rest at the san jacinto peak. Beautiful views with clear skys.

Heavy traffic from Wellman's Divide to the summit
All the streams dry
Trail maintenance was good in federal but a little overgrown in parts of state
Saw one rattlesnake on Devils Slide

my favorite trail

This is a great trip for people living in southern California that don't want to drive up to the Sierras.

We hiked up to Round Valley and camped there for the night. The next morning we went to the summit(we hid our packs near the trail junction) and hiked back out afterwards.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Monday, March 21, 2016

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Beautiful trail into the backcountry. Left Humber Park at 7:15, only saw 3 other people on the trail on the way up. Had to stop when I got to Wellman's Divide. Next time, I'll make it all the way to the top. Be prepared, the incline is relentless on this trail.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

This is my 5th hike of the So Cal Six Pack, and maybe my favorite hike. We did this hike on 30 August 2015.

I hiked with two other friends, we got permits at the Idyllwild Ranger Station and headed back to the Marion Mountain Trail head, pretty easy to find and it had semi shaded parking which was a plus.

We probably didn't get on the trial till almost 8:00 am which was at least an hour too late in my opinion, an earlier start would have been better. The trial is pretty well established for the most part, but there were several spots that we got a little turned around and wandered off trail a bit before finding the main trail again. The trail is a lot more covered than I expected and provided several stretches with nice shade to hike in and the scenery was absolutely beautiful.

Towards the top you have to scramble across rocks in the general vicinity of what appears to be (and is) the top, but once at the summit the views from every angle are quite spectacular. We hiked on a warm but breezy day and it was clear and sunny so you could see San Gorgonio, Palm Springs and the rest of the inland empire, truly a beautiful view of most of Southern California.

I'll definitely do this hike again.