San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 10.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 10.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,644 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

historic site

fee

The trailhead is accessed via the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, which is $25 per person. It is best to make reservations online in advance or there may be a wait for a tram. Check in at the ranger station before hiking. Bring microspikes when there is snow, as the hike is slippery and that aspect can be dangerous. Bring at least 3 liters of water and food. You will be at high elevation, so be aware of the potential for altitude sickness.

Amazing trail! Took about 4.5 hours, I’ve never seen anything so amazing as the view from the top, definetly one of the best trails I’ve ever been too...the altitude thing is real, take heed to all advice!

Beautiful! Worth the effort to reach the summit which requires some bouldering. Only criticism is that the signage could be better but trail map from tram station helped.

We went up in February, in 3ft of snow. Camping wasn’t impossible, but it was tricky finding a dry patch. No one was around, which for some is scary but if you enjoy a serene wilderness experience, SJ in the snow is the way to go. The trail to the summit was completely snowed over, so we followed footprints, and ended up climbing straight up the east side of the mountain. It was terrifying and a calf burner but very rewarding. Do not attempt without crampons ($30 yaktrax from REI worked great). Ice ax optional, trekking poles work fine. If it’s a sunny day, bring sun screen. The light will reflect off the snow and you will fry. Amazing views. You feel on top of the world. I’m scared of heights, but still loved the adventure.

Great day hike! Perfect weather conditions today, well marked trail, AllTrails always helps. Will definitely be camping here next time.

Nice. varied grades. lots of rocks to navigate, which is tough on tired legs. only about 75% runable in my opinion. feels a lot like trails on big bear.

completed hike from tramway to san Jacinto peak, a 10 mile round trip Start time 9:00 am end time 6:30 pm. Did hike with Hiking with friends. Great hike amazing forest and scenery.

Any trail that ends at a bar gets 5 stars.

Rewarding hike! The 360 view from the peak is fantastic.

nice trail, we hiked in to round valley and camped overnight, followed with a hike to the peak in the AM then broke camp and hike out to the tram. the round valley campsite was great, each campsite was secluded from the other giving a nice backpacking experience

Perfect weather

Love this hike. Amazing views at the peak.

Did this on a Sunday morning with two friends for the 2019 A16 3-Peaks Challenge. Arrived at the parking lot at 8:00am, we were on the 8:20am tram up, started the hike at about 8:45am. We didn't get back to the car until 4:30pm. We went through 6 liters of water for all of us with nothing left by the end. Could have used a bit more. It was a long day and long hike. We rested for over an hour at the top because it was so beautiful. And yes, because we were tired from our 5:00am wake-up call! Nothing like a nap at the peak of a beautiful mountain though. Highly recommend!

A M A Z I N G ! ! if it wasn't for the driving distance... I would do it once a week ❤

The tram takes half the elevation out of the second highest peak in SoCal - thankfully!! Don’t be intimidated by the hike. If you have hiked Mount Baldy, this will route will seem easy. However, you may feel the altitude, as the tram gets you to 9000 feet and you climb from there.

Love this trail. Perfect day to reach the peak on 8/18/19

Great weekend for us. We broke up the hike and camped at Round Valley Fri, hit the Summit and back Sat and caught the tram Sunday morning. I went with a few friends and enjoyed the views at Wellmans and the peak. Met some interesting characters with great stories. Look forward to training for Mt Gorgonio!

Beautiful views not only from the summit but for a lot of the climb up the mountain. The grade is pretty shallow but definitely take some time to adjust to the altitude and eat and drink something after you get off the tram.

rock climbing

Trail is very easy even for strollers. You get easy access to nice boulders and the temp are very cool during summer. Don’t forget your jacket if you spend time in the shade...

FTH

great trail . loved the views and flew my kite up there . will be back again soon .

I did this hike on late July and my gosh the way up was wonderful! I met great people, had a fun time, and got to enjoy the environment! I look forward to hiking this in cooler weather!

Amazing as usual!!!

Beautiful trail! The last mile or so ascending the peak has no shade, so be sure to have sun protection as the sun will be unforgiving.

Loved every bit of this hike. The weather was mild and most of the trail was shaded. I wasn't able to pre purchase tram tickets for anything earlier than 9am -- but we arrived at the station early enough that the staff let us on the 8am tram. I needed a light jacket for the first mile or so. One person in our group really felt the altitude, but we got through it with a few breaks. It took us 3 hours to summit and 2 hours back down.