Learn more

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(1191)
Mount San Jacinto State Park

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 10.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 10.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,644 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

fee

As of June 2020, the tramway is closed due to COVID 19 concerns. The trailhead is accessed via the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway, which is $25 per person. It is best to make reservations online in advance or there may be a wait for a tram. Check in at the ranger station before hiking. Bring microspikes when there is snow, as the hike is slippery and that aspect can be dangerous. Bring at least 3 liters of water and food. You will be at high elevation, so be aware of the potential for altitude sickness.

Fairly busy, but this approach to Jacinto is a good training hike for the longer approach from Idyllwild and from the desert floor. While it may be cheating, it’s a gorgeous hike from the top of the tram, and I would definitely recommend completing this approach before others, especially if you are hesitant!

Gorgeous hike, and a nice easy way to bag the second highest peak in Southern California.

6/21/20 The tramway is CLOSED due to covid the rangers had no date on when it would be open again. You can access SAn Jacinto via idyllwid

The trail was visible nearly the entire way. I made a detour heading towards Idylwild because the last 0.3 miles summit trail was not clearly marked. Microspikes and hiking poles were needed. The ranger said you should turn back at 0245 pm. The hike took 7 hours and hike the last 30 minutes in dusk.

icy

I hiked this trail with my friend on 2.6.20. It was ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! We started at 11am, reached the summit at 2:55pm, & finished at 5:15pm. We hiked at a very good pace & stopped for about a 15 minute lunch break. We wore microspikes the entire time.. there were a few spots that we “fell” through the snow, ankle deep. Very enjoyable, beautiful, & scenic hike! Highly recommended for experienced hikers

icy

We started around 10:30 from tramway at a fast but steady pace, and reached summit around 3:30 (even thou the ranger told us to turn back at 2:30) The trails were icy at first and then had packed snow most of the way up. FYI Make sure to watch out for holes in the snow, I got my foot stuck in a couple of them! Altogether we managed to do the hike without crampons just fine, even thou most people were wearing them. I highly suggest this hike! The views are beautiful! Just make sure to take at 3L of water and a extra jacket. It got pretty cold towards sundown!

Such a great trail - unreal views for the second half and at the top, lots of solitude on a Wednesday midday. End of February and I absolutely needed micro spikes - most of the trail was snow and ice covered. Was also happy to have had my poles! Post-holed a few times as it had been warm and snow was melting. Not crazy hard, but better to start early!

I’m dying right now. We did this as cactus to clouds we just stopped for an hour to eat lunch and rest. Do not follow our route it was brutal in the snow especially with no snow shoes... on the way down we followed the longer more compacted route. This was a great hike and beautiful views. 2/23/2020

icy

Beautiful alpine hike with spectacular views at the top! I didn’t bring cramp-ons or micro spikes, but managed the trail fairly well all things considered! Can’t wait to do it again...maybe in summer for the boulder scramble that was buried in snow at the top!

February 15, 2020. Hiked from the tram to the peak and back. I brought my snowshoes, but I only needed microspikes and my hiking pole. The trail was well established through the snow and was packed down about 85% of the time. Great weather and not a lot of traffic on the trail. When I was summiting four people came down from the peak and when I reached the top I had the peak to myself. The new peak sign that was put up last year is broken, but it is still there so you can hold it up. It was a great day on the trail.

icy

10,834’ Ft... great view from the top amazing 360. Views from Southern San Diego to the San Gabriels. Mojave and colorado deserts out to the pacific. As of 01/25/2020 the trail is completely covered in snow. Microspikes and trekking poles definitely would be helpful but I made it up and down just fine without either. First half is covered in forest, second half is exposed. Dress in layers and sun glasses would be good to cut down on glare from the snow. Had the trail to myself on the way up but passed many people on the way down. Would do again but ideally without snow. Maybe from Idyllwild, tram is cool but is crowded and a little steep in price for doing more than once. Recommend bringing a physical trail map as there is absolutely no reception.

icy

Challenging and well worth it

icy

John Whorff- Lots of snow- ranger said couldn’t be done without snow shoes, but minimal post-holing to summit with micro spikes and gators- beautiful weather today and was alone on summit away from crowds! Only saw 3-4 others along the whole trail. Great way to ring in new year. 1/1/20

icy

Probably the best hike we’ve ever done. Also the most challenging. We hiked on New Year’s Day - we got a late start due to the people but the trail was pretty empty. We hiked up Syd Davis and the winter route and it took us around 5 hours with snow shoes.

Absolutely beautiful trail and mountain. Beautiful scenery, from vast desert mountains, to cloud seas, to pine forests and large rocks. The tram is pretty expensive for a poor hiker like me, but it gives a good view. The trail itself is steep but not too bad with a rock scramble at the top. Trail is not marked extremely well.