San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until November.

rock climbing

historic site

This is a strenuous hike and well worth it. Did this hike on January 11, 2019. Snow was 3ft or higher and temperatures in the very low degrees. We were equipped with the necessary things that we needed to finish the hike at night. Starting at 10:20 am and finished at 8:20 pm. Well worth it. One important thing is to have a map or download AllTrails.

Not for the unprepared or inexperienced due to weather!! Also, prepare for 1 hour + wait time for the tram if you do not arrive EARLY.

TRAIL DETAILS as of 1/6/2019

Went up yesterday to the summit. You will need snowshoes and crampons to get to the top safely and since the going is slow, plan your daylight time for an 8 hour round-trip just to be safe.

LOTS OF SNOW: there is about 3-4 ft of soft powder past Wellman’s Divide and you may or may not have a clear trail carved out for you. Pack for temps in the 10-15 degrees with strong gusts of wind. Reservoir tubes freeze quickly so know the steps to keep your water flowing as it’s a strenuous climb in the deep powder!

Otherwise, it’s a beautiful hike in near perfect winter/snow conditions but be smart and gear up to stay warm!!

Completed this back in October of 2018. This was my wife and I first peak summit and enjoyed every minute of it! Overall the hike is closer to 15 miles, took us 7.5 hours. If you are into hiking and have decent fitness level you should be able to do this hike with no real issues. Make sure you have the proper attire and gear, plenty of water(we each brought 4.5L of water and had plenty) and a map for reference and you are in good shape. Well worth the effort! Strenuous but attainable!

Great hiking experience with the snow :)

If you know when you are going try to book your tram ticket up online before hand. I just went today December 28th and it was a 2 hour wait in the tram station once you got your ticket so by the time I got up it was nearing 12pm. Lots of people, busy busy -which I hate so I was very relieved once I got up and could get away from the tourist side of things. I quickly found the ranger station, got my permit, put on my spikes and headed out. I started following some foot prints in the snow and ended up going in one big circle so that wasted about 40 minutes. The sun goes down around 4:30 now in Palm Springs so I was concerned I wouldn’t be able to make it up and down in time but, I started out anyways after my set back at about 12:45. The trail after that was pretty noticeable (even through the snow) and I started making some good head way. I’m not a very experienced hiker and not super in shape (I like to say average) but I was determined and with some motivation I was able to reach the peak by 2:15. I didn’t take any breaks despite the last couple miles I think I could have used one but I was worried about timing and just powered through. I didn’t stay up too long but I ate a protein bar and enjoyed the view for a few minutes before heading back down. I also rushed past the ranger station although I would have liked to go inside and check it out. I ended up getting back down much quicker than coming up and made good time. I was back down by 3:30pm so I would have actually had more time to hang out and explore but, I wanted to be back before dark and better safe than sorry. I only seen a couple people out there. It was nice and quiet, no wildlife. A bit chilly on my walk down. It was about 5 degrees Celsius. The spikes on my shoes were much needed and I’d really recommend going with them as it was icy. I didn’t bring poles but I could see how those would help. I know people say to train for this and I don’t want to encourage those not ready for it to go but, I think with some common sense and knowing your limits you will be fine. I didn’t train, I am from the prairies in Canada so I’m not used to inclines or elevation and I did just fine. Just make sure however far you go you can get back. Quit if you need to, dress appropriately, enjoy the gorgeous views, buy your tickets online to avoid wait times, don’t leave trash and have fun!!

Amazing hike ! Lots of snow , bring micro spikes and poles .

Such an amazing hike! If youre unsure of where to go there is a friendly staff at the nature center that offers you maps of all the trails available with their level of difficulty. The trails are clean and it is such a great way to spend a day out.

Good hike and great scenic views. I could feel the oxygen start to thinner out on my way up. I shouldnt have hiked alone but no one would dare go with me especially at a high level. Be careful when climbing up the rocks as they start to be slippery with ice building up. Overall it was worth it.

Did it on 11/17 and had perfect weather!! Chilly up top, slight breeze but I still had a T-shirt on.

Did this trip in August. Absolutely loved it! Beautiful scenery! First backpacking experience. Camped midway which was fun and hiked to peak next day. The altitude was a new challenge, but not too hard. A wonderful getaway!

Did it on 11/17/18 very nice weather just a bit chilly at times .

Spectacular views. Can be hard for folks who take time in adjusting to altitude low pressure at 10k ft

Very nice!

This is known as the shortcut to the cactus to clouds but it’s still pretty intense. I loved the scenery on this hike. I did this one about a month ago (early September) and it was about 100 degrees in Palm Springs but it’s about 30 degrees cooler at the top of the tram in the park so pack accordingly. I tried to get a ticket for the tram on the website but they were out so I just showed up 30 mins before the first tram at 8am and was able to get a ticket no problem. The hike is pretty easy to follow and shaded most of the way so it helps. The last 10th of a mile requires some scrambling but nothing too crazy.

Overall a good experience.

Awesome. Definitely not a hike if you’re looking for solitude, but beautiful and not too strenuous. Nice views from the peak.

I’ve done this hike to the peak of Mt San Jac three times. I always enjoy it. Great views. Bring at least 3 liters of water and food to keep your engine running. At altitude above 6,000 feet, I typically drink about a cup of water every 45 minutes. I got altitude sickness on the Mt. Whitney trail once...This hydration schedule has worked for me!

love it. beautiful view. cool weather.

#5 of our six pack. Perfect weather. Beautiful hike. Distance 12 miles Elevation 3110. Departed from the tram at 9:30. Peaked at 2:00. Back at the tram by 7. Took Hiking guy's advice and left our backpacks by the hut to make it easier to scramble up the rocks at the peak. Incredible views - contrasting desert vs forested mountains. Got off trail on the way back which added an extra mile. Thank goodness for Alltrails!

We saw 5 squirrels on this hike! 10/10 would definitely recommend!

i was skeptical at the beginning that I could make it to the top since it was my first time hiking long distance. but I made it. I was so happy. the view was awesome and the weather up there is always cool in the summer.

Wish I could take my pups

excellent backpacking hike!

Great hike for training. Doing Mt. Whitney in a couple of weeks and the consistent above 8K ft. helps.

Beautiful views and a fun day hike. I used this hike to train and test gear for an upcoming trip to Mt Langley. It was a good moderate hike. Nothing crazy. I will go back but next time I’ll approach from Idyllwild and skip the tram. Once was enough for me. Cheers

I love this trail and I love this mountain. I work at the ranger station as a park aide and have done most of the trails on Mt. San Jac. If you're coming to summit just make sure get a permit and have 3 liters of water on you as well as plenty of food. Make sure to check the weather and water reports at the ranger station. For hikers of average fitness this hike is not to bad. the hardest section of the hike is from Round Valley Meadow up to Wellman's Divide. At the top you're met with a rock scramble to get to peak sign. Remember to take in the view!

"The view from San Jacinto is the most sublime spectacle to be found anywhere on this earth!" - John Muir

Mid July, air temp was great all day. Humidity in Socal has been high this year and it was quite apparent up there too. Beautiful views almost all the way up and down. Very crowded on the weekends and BE WARNED, the tram does not run until 8:00 AM. This trail is rated moderate, but the upper half is quite rocky and my knees and ankles were sore by the end. Trekking poles would be a big help on the way down.

This was an amazing hike although there are parts that I would consider to be rated more than moderate. The altitude change can be an issue at first but if you keep a short, slower stride you will be fine. It was 74 last weekend up there and 118 in Palm Springs below. Couldn't have picked a better day to go. Didn't see much wildlife, only a few birds and lizards but the scenery is delightful. Water is important even with the cooler temps.

This was a really beautiful hike and a great way to escape the 114 degree weather in Palm Springs. It was about 70 degrees on the trail and a welcome change from the heat!

Trail is well maintained and easy to follow. Make sure you sign in at the station as you begin the trail after the paved pathway. This is to keep track of people on the mountain and to make sure they return.

This took about 5.5 hours which included a break at the top and a sandwich. Took the first 10am train and had no issues with lines on the ascent or descent

This was my first trek above 8,000 feet, so the altitude’s physiological effects were a concern. We were fine though. Just stay hydrated and take your time. The air was extremely dry which adds to the difficulty, but overall I’d rate this trail as moderate. 5.5 hours out and back.

Temps today: 105° in Palm Springs, 70° at the trailhead, 60° at the summit. It can get quite cold up there though, layer accordingly.

Trail very easy to navigate, well marked, not too many surprises here. Steep in a few spots, but nothing too savage.

Killer, outstanding views from about mile 3 onwards. Worth the effort 100%, you wont be disappointed. There’s a treatable water source about midway, but not to be relied on in the summer months. Pack 3 liters and you’ll be solid.

This is an outstanding training hike to prepare for the SoCal 6 Pack. Go get em’!

Another peak off the bucket list. The tram definitely helps but still a hard hike. Great views and amazing scenery. The view from the top is unforgettable.Amazing hike!