San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 9.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is best used from January until November.

we attempted to get to the peak bit there was way too much snow on the trail and it was impassable. we made it to the ranger station which is about two miles from the peak. we talked to fellow hikers on the trail who said the same thing that they wanted to do the peak also but there was too much snow. the ranger we spoke to thinks the snow will be around till July. also the snow made it hard to follow the trail and at times we were off the trail. be careful where you step as the snow is deep and I ended up falling in up to my waist few times. overall still a great hike!

Backpacked this trail in 2009 and it was hard but not too crazy, it was snowing and we had to use snowshoes to move better all in all a great overnighter!

Hello all,
i have done already a couples of trails, incluidos one around 21miles, but it were up and downs Under the sun all the time....
I wondering if i could this one... Is it this hiking trail relativity flat or is mainly up wards?
How long is it the way up and down (time)?
How about around May 6... A good water?

hiked 30mar3017. snow about 3 to 6 feet deep near top. ~45 degrees. the trail was hard to follow, especially near the top. the tops of the trail signs were just peaking out from under the snow. there are no blazes on the trees.

when you reach the sign demarcing the start of wilderness (beyond which you needed to fill out the permit at the ranger station), you can hike on the right or left of the stream. there is a lot less snow on the right side, at least in the first 3/4 mile or so.

for most of the way you can follow the stream. once that ends you have to try to follow tracks. i wore boots without any additional traction and slipped a little but was able to make it. i did not sink into the snow past my knee at all and was able to mostly stay on top of the snow (i was about 200 pounds with my pack).

the view at the top was great and you can see the top of the tram from there. the most fun part was the way down. there are many different footprint trails in the snow to follow and i ended up in a steep descent. evetually i just sat down and started sliding down on my butt which was awesome. i tried to only go about 20 yards at a time at first where it was steepest and icy, to avoid going too fast and hitting a rock or tree too fast. WEAR gloves if you do this. feet were not sufficient for braking so i used my hands too and scraped them on the icy snow. using my elbow worked a little better. as the slope lessened i slid further stretches at a time at a very controllable speed where you could steer a little.

from the ranger station near the tram i took 2.5 hours to get up, half hour at top, and then an hour down. i think i skipped wellmans divide on the way up (unintentionally) which likely saved some time. i did hit round valley both ways at least.

be careful and enjoy!

rock climbing

loved it, wasn't prepared for the snow but roughed it out with no snow shoes and climbed on up

I perfect Southern California peak. Did it two weeks ago in snowshoes. I wish I would've brought my AT skis!

Stunning

Breathtaking views! Not for beginners. Take it easy and enjoy the view as you acclimate to the elevation.

We took the Tram to the top of the mountain - 10ft elevation. Fresh snow fell the night before - the views were amazing