San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 10.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is best used from January until November.

We arrived at the Palm Springs aerial tram parking lot around 8:10am. It was already 98° in Palm Springs. We bought our tickets and caught the 8:30am tram up. When we got up to the Palm Springs Mountain station at 8,516 feet the temperature was 74° and sunny. We started the hike about 8:50am. The first couple of miles were mostly shaded and was a fairly gradual incline. We did not notice very many bugs but we did use bug spray.

At mile 3 around Wellman's Divide it really opened up to blue skies. There's a beautiful place to sit and just take in the views. We sat there for about 15 minutes to eat a little snack and take some pictures. As we started to ascend, it began to get steeper. The last mile is pretty steep with a lot more rocks. We could really feel our heartbeat pounding hard due to the higher elevation. Three of us did not get a headache or any nausea but our heart rate was around 140 at a slow pace. We took frequent breaks and just took it slow so we wouldn't get any other symptoms of altitude sickness. After the last little bit of rock scrambling to the peak, we made it! There are 360° views at the top. Just breathtaking!! We ate lunch and spent at least 30 or 40 minutes up there. There were about a dozen people at the peak but there were so many different rocks to find a secluded spot to sit and take in the views. The weather was perfect! Not too hot- not too cold at about 69° and sunny.

We used our trekking poles for the decent. My knees did not bother me on this hike but my feet were a little sore probably due to the rocks. I drank my 3 L of water and my 32 ounces of water from my Nalgene bottle. I had just enough water and it was not even that hot out. There was running water at the campground. If I was completely out I would've filtered some water there on our way back. I would definitely recommend a minimum of 130 ounces of water. We really loved this hike. It was a good distance of about 11 miles with about 3100 feet of elevation gain. After a little more training we will probably hike to the summit again from Marion Mountain. I highly recommend hiking the San Jacinto Peak from the tram station!

kinda hazy at the top but good temps and a breeze past the divide. also, saw some reviews at the beginning of the season saying this was close to 12 miles, but I got it right about 10 today on a fenix 3.

Beautiful trail.

Fun day hike and gets you away from the heat. water flowing throughout the park.

trail is pretty easy to follow, and once you get up to the divide (~3 miles) the temps are about 30° lower than the desert floor.

What a great hike and on a day when it was 115 degrees on the desert floor. How fortunate to have the tram to get us to the 8500 ft starting point. A beautiful hike every step of the way and just challenging enough. Incredible views at the top. This was my first time to the top but it won't be the last.