San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until November.

rock climbing

historic site

Started at the Tram up to camping spot then continued up to the Peak with great views 360. You see everything and the weather was perfect. Hope to do this again later in the year

This hike was so pretty! We spread this trip to the peak up over three days. After coming up the tram, we lugged our water-heavy backpacks up to Round Valley Campground where we set up a home base.. After a peaceful night we woke up and headed to the peak with lighter day packs that we had included with our gear. The hike to the peak was a visual stunner. After reaching the emergency hut near the end, we quickly found where some scrambling skills were required. We scaled some decent sized boulders to get up to the top...a little tricky, but do-able. We got back to camp and rested up. We left the campground and headed for the tram on day three. If your new to backpacking or to mountain peaking...or like me, just a slower hiker, I recommend tackling this great mountain in easier pieces. There were plenty of people going straight up from the tram, so if your a faster hiker, you will definitely find yourself in good company that way too. A must do hike, the views west of MSJ as well as those over Palm Springs are big rewards for your efforts.

Fantastic hike. Some of my favorite scenic views EVER. The trail is never too steep, but the gradual incline still requires short breaks. There is a scramble at the very top and I felt the elevation most while here. Met some great people at the top. Will definitely do this hike again!

Awesome hike, we did this on memorial day weekend. Here are pros and cons.
pros:
1) My 13 year old was able to do it. Nothing to difficult except distance and rock scramble at summit.
2) Tram is a fun way to get started on hike.
3) great scenery along the way
cons:
1) busy weekend so the lines for the tram were 1.5 hours both ways. Painful wait after a long hike.
2) Tram is $26

Great hike on 5/27/18. Bummed that I was not able to record it on AllTrails.
Perfect day. Nice cool temperatures. Love the smell of pine.

beautiful hike the the signs are a little confusing but we figured it out thecamp sit was a little confusing but the fellow hikers help us out ..... the trail was Rocky but amazing view all the way up saw some wild deer in the morning weather was great no bugs just super coold up at the top did not stay long but I'm happy the sign is up now to take pic with

Hiked this yesterday and it was a beautiful and scenic hike! Even though it was about 87*F in palm springs, it was in the high 30s low 40s at the summit. Definitely a tough hike because of the elevation but the view of San Gorgonio and overlooking the desert was definitely worth it!

Absolutely beautiful day to hike today! Always great scenery and always have fun tram ride to the station. This is the easiest hike of the six pack of peaks but one of the most rewarding. Highly recommend going on first tram up.

Great hike! The tram up is amazing and the hike itself I loved. All Trails map was on point

Awesome! Tram is well worth the money. Great scenery and summit views

Warning to parents hiking with kids under 13.... kids *may* be susceptible to altitude sickness. If your child starts getting a mild headache on the way up....go back down ASAP and summit another day. The mountain can wait. My 12 year old (very fit) son started with a headache 500 feet from the summit, then vomited immediately (4x). Had to rush him off the mountain to the tram parking lot. Ah...the life of SoCal 'flatlanders'.

Incredible hike and change of scenery along the way. The tram ride up was well worth the money as well, very cool experience shooting up through the mountains. In terms of difficulty, I’d say it’s on average a moderate hike compared to most 10-12 mile hikes of similar elevation gain, nothing technical and never need to use hands/knees, very manageable if conditioned for this distance. Go on a clear day because the views at the summit are beautiful and 360.

It was my very first summit hike. Loved it! Will be back again.

Nice trail kinda short for Backpacking
but we went to the summit back down the other side to little round valley fill up water at round valley last chance for water

This trail was amazing. Should not be rated as hard, as the incline was very minimal and gradual over the whole hike. Beautiful views and even got to see some snow at the top! I highly suggest this hike, one of the coolest ones I've done in Southern California!

It's a nice peak, worth hiking. For a real butt kicker, do the cactus-to-cloud trail which starts all the way down in palm spring. One of the hardest day hike. I'd say that just doing the summit is a bit dull - compared to other hikes in the world. I don't know much more what is around there, but the way from the tram to the peak isn't all that exciting. But the view on top is nice.

Beautiful!

Everything about this hike is great! The trail itself, the different experience of taking the tram, and the views!! In our Top 10.

Beautiful hike in beautiful weather. the trails are so well maintained it makes for a wonderful trip. We brought Yak Trax but didn't need them. There is still snow, but it's minimal and none is on the trail itself

Magical!

holy crap that was brutal! but so very beautiful! yes snow and ice. I used yaktrax and a pole and was fine. tough at altitude.

Great day hike on a beautiful day.

Absolutely beautiful hike! My husband and I took the tram up yesterday, camped at Round Valley for the night, and summited San Jacinto this morning. The camping was cold , apparently it got down to 22 degrees but we had the gear for it and stayed pretty warm. For the hike, we brought microspikes but didn't use them- we had grippy hiking boots and for us it was doable without the spikes. However I would definitely recommend bringing spikes because the trail was quite icy coming down -especially the part from round valley to the ranger station. It was okay without the spikes for us, but it might not be for other folks. All in all, the entire experience of staying the night and being the only ones on the mountain in the morning was just amazing. This trail is beautiful, the views are stunning, the quiet is rejuvinating. The tram ride was pretty cool too. Highly recommend.

Go now its warmer and so much closer than you think 1.rst )its cool minûte changes to be temp.untill just before night fall be at site no later than 440 pm weather comes in fast in so cal belive 10803’ not everest never go to any hike https://www.trsrentelco.com/categories/recorders/instrumentation-tape-recorders alone pictures look great “ man one mountain publicity looks grear on mags but anything happes an your up kod by mother nature

I have not done this trek since 1981 the first time ffom the idlewile ville onto sumit that got me hooked that first time was 1976 betweennthen and 1980 i did it both finding the ranger station non existent at foot of trail i had to doublestep it to get legal by closing and if it sounds ominous dont worry is at 500 feet elavation that mosquitos end snd pradise starts till i remember at the summit a cairn for a tiny fire and klook out never recall eating lunch then. Down down the well marked trail all 10000 feet w

Absolutely amazing hike! Did this yesterday. A decent amount of snow at the higher elevations, but it was packed down pretty well. Definitely need microspikes, trekking poles/gaiters optional...no other gear needed. Give the ranger station a call the day before to check on conditions. Was windy at the top but beautiful views the whole way up. Highly recommend taking advantage of downloading the trail map from All Trails app, helped us out a few times...would be easy to lose the trail in fresh snow. You grab a free day permit right at Long Valley ranger station after getting off the tramway.

Amazing hike and picturesque as well. The trail are
Rough with many tripping hazards and one should watch your step, specially when descending. done it twice and were very fulfilling.

Even though visibility was maybe 100ft at the top, this was still a fun and challenging hike. It took my brother and I 2.5 hours to get up to the top. Hiking poles or microspikes would be recommended this time of year even though it was fairly warm in the beginning (I only had a t-shirt on until Wellman Divide). There was a sprinkling of rain from Wellman Divide to the top which then turned to snow.

Amazing hike and experience. The ranger told us it takes the average person 6 hours to complete the trail. We were racing the sun as we got a late start so we managed to complete it under that time. The trail is somewhat well marked. I did the trail in hiking shoes, nothing extra and I was fine. Hiking poles definitely would have been nice at some points. Also make sure to wear layers as the sun sets the mountain gets pretty chilly! I actually thought the view at Wellman’s Divide was better than the view at the summit.