San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until November.

rock climbing

historic site

holy crap that was brutal! but so very beautiful! yes snow and ice. I used yaktrax and a pole and was fine. tough at altitude.

Great day hike on a beautiful day.

Absolutely beautiful hike! My husband and I took the tram up yesterday, camped at Round Valley for the night, and summited San Jacinto this morning. The camping was cold , apparently it got down to 22 degrees but we had the gear for it and stayed pretty warm. For the hike, we brought microspikes but didn't use them- we had grippy hiking boots and for us it was doable without the spikes. However I would definitely recommend bringing spikes because the trail was quite icy coming down -especially the part from round valley to the ranger station. It was okay without the spikes for us, but it might not be for other folks. All in all, the entire experience of staying the night and being the only ones on the mountain in the morning was just amazing. This trail is beautiful, the views are stunning, the quiet is rejuvinating. The tram ride was pretty cool too. Highly recommend.

Go now its warmer and so much closer than you think 1.rst )its cool minûte changes to be temp.untill just before night fall be at site no later than 440 pm weather comes in fast in so cal belive 10803’ not everest never go to any hike https://www.trsrentelco.com/categories/recorders/instrumentation-tape-recorders alone pictures look great “ man one mountain publicity looks grear on mags but anything happes an your up kod by mother nature

I have not done this trek since 1981 the first time ffom the idlewile ville onto sumit that got me hooked that first time was 1976 betweennthen and 1980 i did it both finding the ranger station non existent at foot of trail i had to doublestep it to get legal by closing and if it sounds ominous dont worry is at 500 feet elavation that mosquitos end snd pradise starts till i remember at the summit a cairn for a tiny fire and klook out never recall eating lunch then. Down down the well marked trail all 10000 feet w

Absolutely amazing hike! Did this yesterday. A decent amount of snow at the higher elevations, but it was packed down pretty well. Definitely need microspikes, trekking poles/gaiters optional...no other gear needed. Give the ranger station a call the day before to check on conditions. Was windy at the top but beautiful views the whole way up. Highly recommend taking advantage of downloading the trail map from All Trails app, helped us out a few times...would be easy to lose the trail in fresh snow. You grab a free day permit right at Long Valley ranger station after getting off the tramway.

Amazing hike and picturesque as well. The trail are
Rough with many tripping hazards and one should watch your step, specially when descending. done it twice and were very fulfilling.

Even though visibility was maybe 100ft at the top, this was still a fun and challenging hike. It took my brother and I 2.5 hours to get up to the top. Hiking poles or microspikes would be recommended this time of year even though it was fairly warm in the beginning (I only had a t-shirt on until Wellman Divide). There was a sprinkling of rain from Wellman Divide to the top which then turned to snow.

Amazing hike and experience. The ranger told us it takes the average person 6 hours to complete the trail. We were racing the sun as we got a late start so we managed to complete it under that time. The trail is somewhat well marked. I did the trail in hiking shoes, nothing extra and I was fine. Hiking poles definitely would have been nice at some points. Also make sure to wear layers as the sun sets the mountain gets pretty chilly! I actually thought the view at Wellman’s Divide was better than the view at the summit.

Very nice warm day hike. Some minor snow and lot’s of ice!!! Ice cleats highly recommended! 2 ladies had injuries along the way and were rescued. Not an easy hike, not recommended for kids or beginners. But won’t call it difficult either. It took us 2:50 to get to the top with some breaks and a little less to get back. Overall, great hike!

Havent done it yet. Anyone tell me what footwear is suggested? Boots, Trail shoes?? How much snow? What equipment did you use?

This its an Amazing place i never have such a great experience ever i waiting to go back again and again and again and again........

Great trail cold with 30-40 mph wind gusts and last bit was icy but an amazing hike with incredible views

Well worth it,amazing views

What a great hike. Couldn't pick the better day. Trail was good. I had snow spikes on me but i saw some people made it to the top without it. Will do this again before the snow melts. The views are stunning.

Strenuous hike due to altitude, amazing views.

Tough hike for the beginner. Made it to Wellman’s Divide but had to turn back cause I was spent and couldn’t make it up the peak before the sun went down but still great views and a great trail. Snow was great too!

One of my favorites. If you are in peak shape and have an extra 4 hours to blow then take this trail. Or take it easy and explore. It’s so fun! It can get busy but too bad past Welmans.

One the hardest yet beautiful hikes I’ve ever done. This ones a challenge. I don’t regret anything, view at the end is just amazing.

Beautiful trail. Great hike!
Make sure to check in at the ranger station before you head up the trail.

It should be noted this trail is a hard trail particularly given AllTrails standards... Sure it’s “merely” the last part of the cactus to clouds trail... but it’s not just a little stroll.

Flatlanders should consider it starts at 8500’ and goes up to 10,800’. Airs a little thinner up there kids.

Anyhow, the views at the summit are spectacular.

Beautiful hike and a beautiful summit! This is a popular trail so be prepared to pass people or move out of the way as people pass you. You'll also have to wait your turn for a picture with the sign at the summit. One other caution, we had to wait in line for about 45 minutes before it was our turn to take the tram back down, so I suggest getting your hike done as early as possible.

Challenging and rewarding hike. Took us 3 hours to get to the peak from the tram, and 2 hours to get back down. We experienced wide variations in the temperature, layers and gloves were needed. All around gorgeous hike.

Great hike, amazing view definitely not for the faint of heart. Steady incline all the way up but with the altitude your body is working very hard and that makes this hike strenuous. 4 hours up to you top, then 2 hours back to tram. Great view at the top!

Great hike from devils slide. It’s around 16 miles round trip from devils but it’s more challenging. I’ve hiked the peak a few times and it always takes my breath away

Beautiful hike

The summit is amazing!

The views at the summit are insane

Third time doing this hike and it never ceases to amaze me. Had the great fortune of reaching the summit and seeing snow on the trees, like a Christmas card. This time of year it's great to hike with valley fog, warm to cold weather, and lots of surprises, like the strong winds and freezing temps at the top. Great workout hike and the views are always stunning. Wellman Divide is a great place to stop for a snack/drink and scenery. It's about 2 miles from the top. If you go this time of year remember that the temperatures at the top can be below freezing, even when it's in the 70's at the bottom. Ranger said it averages 40 degrees colder on top then in Palm Springs. Also remember it's dark at 5:30pm now. The tram ride is almost worth going all by itself. Go and enjoy but hike smart.