San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until November.

rock climbing

historic site

This is known as the shortcut to the cactus to clouds but it’s still pretty intense. I loved the scenery on this hike. I did this one about a month ago (early September) and it was about 100 degrees in Palm Springs but it’s about 30 degrees cooler at the top of the tram in the park so pack accordingly. I tried to get a ticket for the tram on the website but they were out so I just showed up 30 mins before the first tram at 8am and was able to get a ticket no problem. The hike is pretty easy to follow and shaded most of the way so it helps. The last 10th of a mile requires some scrambling but nothing too crazy.

Overall a good experience.

Awesome. Definitely not a hike if you’re looking for solitude, but beautiful and not too strenuous. Nice views from the peak.

I’ve done this hike to the peak of Mt San Jac three times. I always enjoy it. Great views. Bring at least 3 liters of water and food to keep your engine running. At altitude above 6,000 feet, I typically drink about a cup of water every 45 minutes. I got altitude sickness on the Mt. Whitney trail once...This hydration schedule has worked for me!

love it. beautiful view. cool weather.

#5 of our six pack. Perfect weather. Beautiful hike. Distance 12 miles Elevation 3110. Departed from the tram at 9:30. Peaked at 2:00. Back at the tram by 7. Took Hiking guy's advice and left our backpacks by the hut to make it easier to scramble up the rocks at the peak. Incredible views - contrasting desert vs forested mountains. Got off trail on the way back which added an extra mile. Thank goodness for Alltrails!

We saw 5 squirrels on this hike! 10/10 would definitely recommend!

i was skeptical at the beginning that I could make it to the top since it was my first time hiking long distance. but I made it. I was so happy. the view was awesome and the weather up there is always cool in the summer.

Wish I could take my pups

excellent backpacking hike!

Great hike for training. Doing Mt. Whitney in a couple of weeks and the consistent above 8K ft. helps.

Beautiful views and a fun day hike. I used this hike to train and test gear for an upcoming trip to Mt Langley. It was a good moderate hike. Nothing crazy. I will go back but next time I’ll approach from Idyllwild and skip the tram. Once was enough for me. Cheers

I love this trail and I love this mountain. I work at the ranger station as a park aide and have done most of the trails on Mt. San Jac. If you're coming to summit just make sure get a permit and have 3 liters of water on you as well as plenty of food. Make sure to check the weather and water reports at the ranger station. For hikers of average fitness this hike is not to bad. the hardest section of the hike is from Round Valley Meadow up to Wellman's Divide. At the top you're met with a rock scramble to get to peak sign. Remember to take in the view!

"The view from San Jacinto is the most sublime spectacle to be found anywhere on this earth!" - John Muir

Mid July, air temp was great all day. Humidity in Socal has been high this year and it was quite apparent up there too. Beautiful views almost all the way up and down. Very crowded on the weekends and BE WARNED, the tram does not run until 8:00 AM. This trail is rated moderate, but the upper half is quite rocky and my knees and ankles were sore by the end. Trekking poles would be a big help on the way down.

This was an amazing hike although there are parts that I would consider to be rated more than moderate. The altitude change can be an issue at first but if you keep a short, slower stride you will be fine. It was 74 last weekend up there and 118 in Palm Springs below. Couldn't have picked a better day to go. Didn't see much wildlife, only a few birds and lizards but the scenery is delightful. Water is important even with the cooler temps.

This was a really beautiful hike and a great way to escape the 114 degree weather in Palm Springs. It was about 70 degrees on the trail and a welcome change from the heat!

Trail is well maintained and easy to follow. Make sure you sign in at the station as you begin the trail after the paved pathway. This is to keep track of people on the mountain and to make sure they return.

This took about 5.5 hours which included a break at the top and a sandwich. Took the first 10am train and had no issues with lines on the ascent or descent

This was my first trek above 8,000 feet, so the altitude’s physiological effects were a concern. We were fine though. Just stay hydrated and take your time. The air was extremely dry which adds to the difficulty, but overall I’d rate this trail as moderate. 5.5 hours out and back.

Temps today: 105° in Palm Springs, 70° at the trailhead, 60° at the summit. It can get quite cold up there though, layer accordingly.

Trail very easy to navigate, well marked, not too many surprises here. Steep in a few spots, but nothing too savage.

Killer, outstanding views from about mile 3 onwards. Worth the effort 100%, you wont be disappointed. There’s a treatable water source about midway, but not to be relied on in the summer months. Pack 3 liters and you’ll be solid.

This is an outstanding training hike to prepare for the SoCal 6 Pack. Go get em’!

Another peak off the bucket list. The tram definitely helps but still a hard hike. Great views and amazing scenery. The view from the top is unforgettable.Amazing hike!

This trail is HARD... but so worth it! Bring your layers, as there are some temperature changes along the way. It was a sunny day and I don't burn easy so I was fine in a tank top and shorts, with a hat and sunglasses. It's a rocky trail and easy to roll your ankles as you tire so take it easy on the descent. As far as checking in on All Trails, you cannot do so from the tram. Your check-in point is actually close to 2mi in at the first sign mentioning San Jacinto Peak. I started recording from the Ranger Station, where we filled out our FREE permit, and then was able to check in at the sign without losing the recorded progress that I had just traveled. Bring lots of water and a comprehensive day pack... Enjoy!

Started at the Tram up to camping spot then continued up to the Peak with great views 360. You see everything and the weather was perfect. Hope to do this again later in the year

This hike was so pretty! We spread this trip to the peak up over three days. After coming up the tram, we lugged our water-heavy backpacks up to Round Valley Campground where we set up a home base.. After a peaceful night we woke up and headed to the peak with lighter day packs that we had included with our gear. The hike to the peak was a visual stunner. After reaching the emergency hut near the end, we quickly found where some scrambling skills were required. We scaled some decent sized boulders to get up to the top...a little tricky, but do-able. We got back to camp and rested up. We left the campground and headed for the tram on day three. If your new to backpacking or to mountain peaking...or like me, just a slower hiker, I recommend tackling this great mountain in easier pieces. There were plenty of people going straight up from the tram, so if your a faster hiker, you will definitely find yourself in good company that way too. A must do hike, the views west of MSJ as well as those over Palm Springs are big rewards for your efforts.

Fantastic hike. Some of my favorite scenic views EVER. The trail is never too steep, but the gradual incline still requires short breaks. There is a scramble at the very top and I felt the elevation most while here. Met some great people at the top. Will definitely do this hike again!

Awesome hike, we did this on memorial day weekend. Here are pros and cons.
pros:
1) My 13 year old was able to do it. Nothing to difficult except distance and rock scramble at summit.
2) Tram is a fun way to get started on hike.
3) great scenery along the way
cons:
1) busy weekend so the lines for the tram were 1.5 hours both ways. Painful wait after a long hike.
2) Tram is $26

Great hike on 5/27/18. Bummed that I was not able to record it on AllTrails.
Perfect day. Nice cool temperatures. Love the smell of pine.

beautiful hike the the signs are a little confusing but we figured it out thecamp sit was a little confusing but the fellow hikers help us out ..... the trail was Rocky but amazing view all the way up saw some wild deer in the morning weather was great no bugs just super coold up at the top did not stay long but I'm happy the sign is up now to take pic with

Hiked this yesterday and it was a beautiful and scenic hike! Even though it was about 87*F in palm springs, it was in the high 30s low 40s at the summit. Definitely a tough hike because of the elevation but the view of San Gorgonio and overlooking the desert was definitely worth it!

Absolutely beautiful day to hike today! Always great scenery and always have fun tram ride to the station. This is the easiest hike of the six pack of peaks but one of the most rewarding. Highly recommend going on first tram up.

Great hike! The tram up is amazing and the hike itself I loved. All Trails map was on point

Awesome! Tram is well worth the money. Great scenery and summit views

Warning to parents hiking with kids under 13.... kids *may* be susceptible to altitude sickness. If your child starts getting a mild headache on the way up....go back down ASAP and summit another day. The mountain can wait. My 12 year old (very fit) son started with a headache 500 feet from the summit, then vomited immediately (4x). Had to rush him off the mountain to the tram parking lot. Ah...the life of SoCal 'flatlanders'.

Incredible hike and change of scenery along the way. The tram ride up was well worth the money as well, very cool experience shooting up through the mountains. In terms of difficulty, I’d say it’s on average a moderate hike compared to most 10-12 mile hikes of similar elevation gain, nothing technical and never need to use hands/knees, very manageable if conditioned for this distance. Go on a clear day because the views at the summit are beautiful and 360.