San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway

San Jacinto Peak from The Tramway is a 9.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palm Springs, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is best used from January until November.

An amazingly beautiful hike with gorgeous views. Yes it is steep but if you take your time and take a few rests you'll be rewarded at the summit.

Absolutely amazing views! The hike is strenuous to get to the peak but worth doing. There is a lot of downed trees and snow still up there but the trail is pretty straightforward.

Did this hike today. Great hike with fabulous views at the summit. I agree with some of the other reviewers in that we also clocked the trip at 12 miles. A little snow on the trail but otherwise mostly clear.

Did this hike today. 5/21/17
Read some of the other comments.
There was no mud on trails
Yes there was snow
Great hike
I agree with Bret, It clocks out just under 12 miles

Had a great hike from the tram to the top of San Jacinto. All trails has this hike as just under 10 miles. We clocked in 12 miles. Still quite a bit of snow above the 9,500 level on the north face of the mountain. The trail disappears quite a bit due to all the snow. Never got lost but had to trail blaze quite a bit due to the trail virtually disappearing.

It was a bit crowded up top but the trail itself had a moderate amount of hikers.

Enjoyed a great dinner at the restaurant up top of the tram before we headed home.

I completed this hike on 5/14/17! It's a long hike but it's so beautiful! It's not easy since there's still snow along the way and right before the summit! It'd help if you bring along trekking poles! I would not recommend to do this trail in the dark either so time yourself correctly to be safe! I would hike this again!

5/12/17
Wet snow near the summit coupled with rocky terrain and elevation made it a bit challenging.

5/13/17 little snow great weather day permits required from ranger station but they are free.

Went on Saturday, May 6th. Took the first tram up at 8 am (showed up at 7:30 to purchase tickets) then started the hike about 8:30 am and were back down at 4 pm. We lost the trail a few times because of the snow so probably spent an hour or so lost (didn't get hurt and saw some beautiful views!) so all ok in the end.

My husband and I are relatively active people but not experienced hikers. We went in tennis shoes but had crampons (a MUST because of the sheer amount of snow; ~$20-30 on amazon) and a walking stick each. Elevation gain is what makes it exhausting but the views along the hike and at the summit are breathtaking!

Each one of us had a a 2L camelbak water pack and an additional 40 oz bottle. We finished the camelbaks and had some from the bottle as well.

Highly recommended but wear hiking shoes or tennis shoes+ crampons and consider taking walking sticks!

found this hike to be moderate. I'd say Cucamonga was harder. there is a lot of snow right before the summit and patchy on the way up but honestly if you are careful you'll be fine. we had no trekking poles or spikes and did fine. as previous person mentioned, you may slip and slide some but just be careful. oh and this is a 15 mile hike. don't be fooled.