San Jacinto Loop

San Jacinto Loop is a 18 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

From Highway 243 south of Idyllwild Ranger Station, turn northeast on Circle Dr. Drive 0.7 Miles to a four-way stop, turn right on South Circle Dr. Make the first left onto Fern Valley Rd. Proceed 1.8 miles to large Humber Park Trailhead at the end of the road.

I think this is my favorite backpacking excursion yet! I did this run in 3 Days, 2 Nights. Entered the deer springs trail out of Idyllwild and took the clockways route, hitting the west side first. First night at Little Round Valley. 6 campsites there. I stayed at #3 but 1 and 5 looked cool too. I recommend these sites because I did this trip in early December and at these sites, the sun sets the latest and rises the earliest getting maximum hours of sun. It was pretty cold after the sun went down into the 30’s. Next morning I reached the peak. If you don’t want too much traffic, I recommend leaving early to avoid people from the tram. Heading down the east side, once I passed the tram, I only passed one group. Ooh, about a mile south of the tram was where I refilled on water. This was the heaviest water flow of the whole trail. I stayed at Strawberry Campground the 2nd night. Only 3 spots here and pretty far off the trail. The next day finished it off and all downhill making it a nice ending to my trip.

Did this loop over 2 days. Day 1, I was on trail heading up Devil's Slide by 10:30am. Its a pretty unrelenting uphill walk and later in the year (I did it in October) there's not much water around so you'll need to carry a bit more. Linked up with the PCT at Saddle Junction and headed west in a clockwise direction. Ended up in a campground named Thunder View at 4:30pm. On trail again by 8am and summited San Jacinto Peak. It was all downhill from there and a beautiful walk. Back at Humber parking lot by 2pm. Overall some of the best wilderness hiking southern california has to offer. Can't wait to go back!