San Gabriel Peak Trail

San Gabriel Peak Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Wilson, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,030 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I've been wanting to do this one for awhile and decided to do it today. Angeles Crest Highway was closed right after the Mt. Wilson Road/Red Box junction and this is where the trailhead is located so I was very fortunate. The trail starts out on a fire road and winds around to the Mueller Tunnel. After going through the short tunnel, the trail continues to wind around to an open junction (approximately 3/4 mile). There is a light yellow round water tank off to the right of this junction. The first trail to the left of this water tank leading upwards is the trail to San Gabriel Peak. Other options include a small sign entitled "Mt. Lowe summit" and a fire road leading to the Mt, Lowe Campground. The trail winded upwards and around and was very easy to follow. There were telephone poles along this stretch of the trail. After climbing about 1/2 mile, the trail abruptly ends at another trail. If you take this new trail left, you will hike about 1/10 of a mile and run into the asphalt road leading to Mt. Disappointment. Turn right on the new trail and this will lead you to the summit of San Gabriel Peak (approximately 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile). Once at the summit, you are rewarded with a beautiful 360 degree view of the surrounding peaks. My GPS indicated it was 1.8 miles to the summit. Since this was a short trail, I decided to explore Mt. Disappointment and Mt. Lowe. According to my GPS, the total mileage for this trip was a little over 6 1/2 miles.

Be prepared for lots of sun. This short trail is perfect for those without much stamina and will help those wishing to build it up. Stick it out to the top for some of the best views in SoCal.

This is a spectacular hike! The beginning part, through the Mueller Tunnel, is an easy hike on an old fire road, but after that, it becomes a single track trail, with a few rocky sections where there have been rockslides from our wet spring. Interestingly, the Mueller Tunnel is also crumbling. On the west end, you can see a huge chunk of concrete on the ground, and some exposed, twisted rebar above. I assume it's still safe. At least, we made it out alive. :-) There are a few other nearby peaks (Markham, Disappointment) you can easily bag if you want to extend this hike a bit. We didn't do it on this trip, since we were running late for watching the fireworks from Mt Wilson (another spectacular trip, btw, looking down at all the fireworks in the L.A. basin).

Trail is a nice and easy route. We only got about half way since we started late and it got really hot. Not much shade so recommend starting early. Lots of rocks on the trail from slides. Tunnel was really cool and my 2 year old really liked it. This trail could be kid friendly when it’s cooler. The couple a head of us also spotted a rattlesnake so be on the look out.

We hiked it this morning and really enjoy this area. You have to drive for a while on Hwy 2 to get here. We started from the Eaton Saddle trailhead and you hike for about .5 miles before reaching the 1st junction...it is cool going through the tunnel. At the 1st junction you go right and then at 1.1 miles you make another right...if you go to the left it takes you to Mount Disappointment which I suggest since it doesn’t add much time. Great views and not too difficult.

Very nice views! Catalina Island is visible!! There is a lot of patches of ice near the summit!

Sun Jan 13 2019

As of 1/13, there is tons of snow and ice on this trail. Bring poles and maybe spikes for the slippery ice on the second half. All in all, a great hike for snow hiking newcomers.

Wed Jan 02 2019

I’m not a speed hiker, but on a continuous walk up, it only took 45 minutes. This is so easy! The trail itself wasn’t a bad trail, and the views were nice for the atmosphere we have in LA, but it was so short I don’t know that it’s worth the drive up to go at it a second time. If you’re looking for an easy hike with a nice view, this is it. If you’re looking for a nice good day hike, perhaps combine this with the Lowe Railroad hike and Mt. Disappointment because it’s really short on its own.

Tue Jan 01 2019

Easy start with great views of the LA basin, then climbing a bit, then steep at the end. Clouds blocked the southern views at the top, but great view of the mountains to the north and east. It was a bit chilly in the shady parts, but pretty warm otherwise. We took 1.5 hours to go up and 1 to come back down.

Thu Nov 29 2018

This has been one of my favorite trails so far. It’s starts out a gradual incline. When you’ve almost reached the peak it’s straight up. I thought I would be out of breath because of the altitude but I barely drank any water, do not recommend be prepared, but I was fine. We stopped a few times and I was able to control my breathing so I didn’t get out of breath. The trail is very rocky and gets a bit narrow as you get to the top. The view at the top was amazing. You are able to see downtown LOs Angeles and the top of the observatory. It took 2.5 hours round trip. Worst part about the hike is the drive. Winding roads and reckless inconsiderate drivers. Be safe and take your time getting there.

Wed Oct 10 2018

up here as I write.7pm 10/09/2017..amazin view.. challenging 4 me wid d incline m my acrophobic tendencies..lol..but I'm here..chillin..brrrrr..oh..careful with d rocks on d edge along d trail...loose

Sat Apr 21 2018

I did San Gabriel Peak yesterday it was a nice weather 11 miles from Cobb Estate, Echo Mt., Inspiration Point Mount Lowe and final point San Gabriel Peak the weather was cool to finished this trail. I love to explore each day a different trails. If I can, If not I repeat the ones I like more. We live in a wonderful world to explore!!

Fri Apr 13 2018

I had an awesome time yesterday! Vlogged the whole thing and made a spotify playlist for anyone to bring on this trail. Check it out here: http://y2u.be/x64hGJaY89A http://sptfy.com/14Dq

Thu Mar 29 2018

I've hiked to this peak twice now. The 2nd time around was much easier for me than the first. Worth the hike up. We did it on 3/18, and there was snow from a storm the day before. I would definitely take trekking poles as it made it easier to hike. We also coupled San Gabriel Peak with Mt. Disappointment. You might as well do it, since you're right there :)

Wed Mar 28 2018

A fun hike with some awesome panoramic views at the top! Not my favorite Los Angeles forest hike, but still a good one! I loved all the pine trees and was surprised to find a little snow late in the spring. A lot of people are saying "this is a moderate hike, not easy." I'd probably agree. I think the high elevation made it a little bit harder than you'd expect from a typical 2.8-mile walk.

Mon Mar 26 2018

I would call this easy I would call it a high moderate. Not a lot of shade, good cool weather hike take lots of water. We added some extra miles with a detour to Mt. Disappointment.

Mon Mar 26 2018

I wouldn’t call this hike easy, more moderate as it’s a pretty good incline and requires a bit of stamina to get top. Great views at the top. Did 4 peaks today and this was first on the list. Great workout!

Fri Jan 26 2018

It was a nice hike from Cobbe Estate to Echo Mountain, Inspiration Point, Mount Lowe and stoped at Mount Markham. Very good exploratory hike in a cloudy day.

Sat Jul 01 2017

Wonderful 360 view up in the summit geology is amazing on this trail. I spotted a brown bear towards the middle of the incline heading down towards the fault line. Down side: no shade, narrow bad specially when you have incoming traffic. On the way down a cyclist ran me off my trail and I nearly slip so please be careful!

Sun Apr 30 2017

On my consideration this trail is moderate,Nice view today was beautiful.