San Gabriel Peak Trail

San Gabriel Peak Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Wilson, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I did San Gabriel Peak yesterday it was a nice weather 11 miles from Cobb Estate, Echo Mt., Inspiration Point Mount Lowe and final point San Gabriel Peak the weather was cool to finished this trail. I love to explore each day a different trails. If I can, If not I repeat the ones I like more. We live in a wonderful world to explore!!

I had an awesome time yesterday! Vlogged the whole thing and made a spotify playlist for anyone to bring on this trail. Check it out here:

I've hiked to this peak twice now. The 2nd time around was much easier for me than the first. Worth the hike up. We did it on 3/18, and there was snow from a storm the day before. I would definitely take trekking poles as it made it easier to hike. We also coupled San Gabriel Peak with Mt. Disappointment. You might as well do it, since you're right there :)

A fun hike with some awesome panoramic views at the top! Not my favorite Los Angeles forest hike, but still a good one! I loved all the pine trees and was surprised to find a little snow late in the spring.
A lot of people are saying "this is a moderate hike, not easy." I'd probably agree. I think the high elevation made it a little bit harder than you'd expect from a typical 2.8-mile walk.

I would call this easy I would call it a high moderate. Not a lot of shade, good cool weather hike take lots of water. We added some extra miles with a detour to Mt. Disappointment.

I wouldn’t call this hike easy, more moderate as it’s a pretty good incline and requires a bit of stamina to get top. Great views at the top. Did 4 peaks today and this was first on the list. Great workout!

It was a nice hike from Cobbe Estate to Echo Mountain, Inspiration Point, Mount Lowe and stoped at Mount Markham. Very good exploratory hike in a cloudy day.

Wonderful 360 view up in the summit geology is amazing on this trail. I spotted a brown bear towards the middle of the incline heading down towards the fault line. Down side: no shade, narrow bad specially when you have incoming traffic. On the way down a cyclist ran me off my trail and I nearly slip so please be careful!

Sunday, April 30, 2017

On my consideration this trail is moderate,Nice view today was beautiful.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Great hike with excellent views on the summit. Can be done in less than 2 hours round trip. Only downside is very little shade.

Monday, January 23, 2017

Hiked this on 1/20/17 and thoroughly enjoyed it despite a blizzard with 12" fresh snow. Fortunately, the Mueller Tunnel provided much needed shelter during a massive ice downfall!! I lost my Black Diamond ice axe somewhere near Mt Disappointment Summit or San Gabriel Peak. Appreciate a call if anyone finds it. 859-496-6458

Monday, July 11, 2016

You can also summit San Gabriel Peak from the Mt. Disappointment gate via Mt. Disappointment Road. I did this on July 9 and took the Bill Riley Trail back to the gate.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Great hike for beginners to intermediate. Some shade but mostly exposed to sun. High elevation. Some of the trail gets narrow. Well maintained. Challenging but is a good workout.

The views on a clear day go out to the ocean. So worth it.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

No graphity, no trash, very nice trail.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Awesome trail with a great view at the end. Not much shade so bring lots of water.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Gorgeous day! Weather in the morning was in the 50s with a strong wind chill. In and out it took me 3.5 hours. The view from the peak was breathtaking! You could see Downton LA, Burbank, all the way to the ocean! I will definitely be doing this trail again soon in the near future.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

I've done this a few times from the Bill Riley trail with a cross over Mt Disappointment rd and onto san Gabriel peak. There are some steep switchbacks right out of the gate but the views to the east on the way up are incredible. Not to mention the handful of different aesthetics of forestry you pass through. You get a peek at the observatory and DTLA/the ocean on a clear day, then hike a little higher to the peak--a great 360 of the San Gabriels

Monday, June 15, 2015

An excellent description of the key parts of the trail! Thank you!

Monday, June 15, 2015

Great hike that you can do up and back in 2+ hours or 4 miles. Here are some helpful hints:

1. From Angeles Crest Highway starting in La Canada, it is about 1/2 hour in.
2. Red Box Road is well marked. You will need to turn right and head about 5 to 10 minutes in.
3. You will find a parking area on both the left and the right side of the road. Can't miss it.
4. The hike starts behind a gate on a road with map about Lowe's Railroad trail. It's on the right.
5. At about 15 minutes in, you will come to an area with a large water tank on the right. You have three choices to continue. Stick to the trail on the right. It's narrow going forward with a steady incline.
6. At about 80% to the top, you will get to a fork. Go right for another 10 minutes to the summit.

Monday, June 01, 2015

This trail was great. There were amazing views from the trail and from the top of San Gabriel Peak. It was foggy over the city but in the mountains it was totally clear. There are a couple spots where the drop off the side was pretty sheer and I'm terrified of heights, but otherwise it was fantastic.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Nice little hike that can be still quite the workout. The trailhead is definitely obscure and relatively narrow in the beginning. A few friends have gone before and kept raving the view was beautiful, but unfortunately the day we went it was superrrrr foggy. Well, at least due to the elevation it felt like we were in the clouds, which was a cool feeling. Still, we'll be back again to see the view. Probably recommend using the trail when going up for the challenge and scenery, but using the fire road when coming down. The fire road adds a little extra distance, but will take away the worry of slipping if you went down the trail. There was a lot of loose dirt.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

I hiked this trail after a week of rain and flood in that area. Many part of the trails had rocks, fallen trees and still bearing sign of flood. Every time I looked up, made me scared of falling rock, seriously if a rock fell on me, that would be end of my life! Other than that I enjoyed the hike. View of Los Angles and Mt. Baldy is great from the peak. I took this trail on my way back from Mt. Lowe and Markham. I also stopped by the peak of Mt. Disappointment on my way back from San Gabriel peak.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

I took this trip on Feb 14, yes Valentines Day with permission from the wife. There are a lot of rocks on the trail so wear appropriate footwear. Treking poles come in handy when you have to maneuver the trails in a few spots. There are Poodle Bushs a little higher up on the trail so be careful. I may not be as tough as some but this trail was a workout. Take breaks as needed. The view from the Peak was well worth it. Seeing what a fire can to to the forest and trails will also leave its mark on you. Good hike.

Friday, February 15, 2013

This peak offers the best view for the least effort. The trail is easy, incline is gradual, and easy to follow. The view is unbeatable for how easy it was to reach the summit. 360 panorama view of the angeles; you will see Baldy, Jacinto, and Gorgonio, and all of LA down to Long Beach, Catalina Island, and even San clemente Island on a clear day! Take lots of break and you will find this trail easy like making instant noodles. Overall the trail is very enjoyable and is rarely crowded because Mt. Wilson took all the crowd.

Saturday, February 09, 2013

Did this trail with little to no problems! Started at 1245pm from Eaton Saddle, keeping to the right as you pass the water tank. When you reach the T in the trail, right goes to San Gabriel Peak and left goes to Mt Disappointment. Both awesome hikes, must see! Epic views from the top!!! Ended the hikes at 314pm

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Really fun trail! The trail head is a bit hard to find & very narrow at the start (have to look carefully behind the sm few car parking area) you can also take the fire road. Easy to follow rapid incline & very remote thru the woods...we saw no one on our entire hike! The trail drops off near the top of the fire road that you can follow the rest of the way to Mt Disappointment & San Gabriel Peak...both a must see!! Mt Disappointment has some interesting history. We stopped for lunch on top of San Gabriel Peak (benches to sit & enjoy the view) & were engulfed in clouds...quite fun & made for many cool photos.