San Gabriel Mountains: Mount Zion Loop Trail

San Gabriel Mountains: Mount Zion Loop Trail is a 10.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Monrovia, California that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

You need a Wilderness Parking Pass (You can purchase these at any outdoors stores Sports Authority, Big 5, etc.)

I typically start at Chantry Flat, but I recently changed it up and started at the top like denoted here. This is a fun route that adds a unique challenge by putting all the climbing on the very last section of trail. You will really feel that section between Sturtevant Camp and the "Halfway" sign at the switchbacks as you have logged abut 9 miles at that point. If you're a real glutton for punishment, try going down to Chantry Flat via Winter Creek Trail and Upper Winter Creek Trail, then come back up Zion Trail and Sturtevant Trails. This route comes out close to 15 miles I think with all the climbing backloaded on the last few miles of the hike. I feel it's a great training hike to do at the moment until the snow pack melts on the more challenging peaks.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

@Lorraine Rodriguez @Leanne Coon It's not the same hike. This one is longer, as it begins at Mt. Wilson and loops back through Mt. Zion. The one you described begins at Chantry Flat and loops back through Mt. Zion.

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Definitely one I will not forget, my first jump into a pond waterfall thing! Very nice workout also

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Lorraine, your review is right on!!

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Love it... can't wait to return

Monday, October 15, 2012

I hope this is the same one I did yesterday.... Sounds accurate. Except I thought it was about a 12 mile hike & took us 6 hours too.

We started at Chantry Flats CG, to SpruceGrove CG, up to the Summit of Mt. Zion, took the loop to Hoegees then Upper Winter Creek back to Chantry Flats CG (where the parking lot is)

It was an intense hike! Very good work out! It kicked my butt Lol.. but we'll definitely do it again. It was so gorgeous there. Fall is the perfect season. Beautiful views of the City, branches crackling, leaves rustling, Blue/Silver Squirrels yapping at each other, birds chirping, spider webs glistening in the sun light between the trees, peaceful sound of the waterfall & creeks. We went right over the top of the Waterfall. But you have to get here early if you want a parking spot in the parking lot.
P.S. And don't forget to pick up a Parking Pass :)