Annies Canyon and Rios Avenue Trail

Annies Canyon and Rios Avenue Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Solana Beach, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A beautiful backdrop wherever you go, the San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve has amazing views to offer every which way you look. Do be careful of rattlesnakes and mountain lions as this is an active ecological site. Dogs must be kept on a leash, and half of the trails (east of the I-5 freeway) are open to horse back riders as well.

Getting here has become a major pain!! Two points of entry are shut down, however once you finally get to the trail the canyon is superb and well worth it. Had no idea something like that was sitting right in my backyard!

SO COOL! The actual canyon part is so amazing and not too challenging, but still a good work out! I loved seeing what everyone had carved into the sides and climbing up the ladder.

Link to Orilla side closed due to freeway construction, lame. Otherwise Annie’s Canyon rocked.

cool hike.. the narrow canyon is amazing !

This is a heavily used trail, but it was nice. I will go back when the construction is over.

Short, but sweet!

Loved it! Great trail and the look out point is awesome!

It’s a fun place.

Loved it! :)

unique canyon hike with some pretty impressive rock formations. you can hear the cars on the highway in some parts, but worth it!

Pretty easy hike. Going through the canyon slot was cool. We originally wanted to get there via La Orilla trail but due to construction near the I-5 we couldn’t.

We hiked up the moderate side first and then the sandstone canyon side. Both go to the same top location but the canyon side is much more narrow and steep. I didn’t see One so maybe there should be a NO DOGS sign at the bottom of the slot canyon side. There was a sign about half way up. The couple behind us brought their dog and ended up having to carry it up the ladder part. Very lovely trail overall and we will hike it again soon.

Very unique hike. A must do in north county.

Great trail took my 8 and 10 year old and it was not too difficult for them. Wish it was longer :-)

Surprised narrow canyon walk

The majority of the hike is fairly flat and quite easy, with beautiful lagoon views and lots of nature. The actual slot canyon trail is strenuous, but short, and the family enjoyed it so much that we went through a second time.

There were great elevations on the Annie's Trail that we took. At the top are beautiful caves and caverns. Finding the trail head is a challenge. We needed a local to find it.

this hike is great for the casual walker, but with the traffic noise and construction it is loud and annoying. the canyon is closed due to maintenance and only open on weekends. If that. i was so disappointed All Trails need to update their site. I was up early to go do this on my day off and I'm very disappointed

Easy short hike. Really like the narrow path going to the top. We did encounter a big rattle snake like others. But it just slithered into the brush. Parking is limited.

This hike is an easy one. saw a very large rattlesnake cross a path. He wanted nothing to do with us. very well maintained. Go early parking is limited. Going up thru the rock formation was fun considering I'm slightly claustrophobic. I was glad I did it, all while carrying my 16 yr old Chihuahua on my back. wear bug spray.