Annies Canyon and Rios Avenue Trail

Annies Canyon and Rios Avenue Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Solana Beach, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

As of October 2018, users have reported that the trails under the interstate are temporarily closed. A beautiful backdrop wherever you go, the San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve has amazing views to offer every which way you look. Do be careful of rattlesnakes and mountain lions as this is an active ecological site. Dogs must be kept on a leash, and half of the trails (east of the I-5 freeway) are open to horse back riders as well. No dogs in the slot canyon.

Been living here my whole life and didn’t know this trail existed until this plastic summer, hidden from the hustle and bustle of Del Mar and Solana Beach with beautiful scenery and fun cave hiking. Pretty narrow but very kid friendly.

Rating this a 5 because it’s so close to Solana Beach/Cedros Ave, but you feel completely out of any city. The slot is really cool! I was wearing my 14 month old in a backpack and alone, didn’t see anybody else there, and halfway through the slot I got a little worried about how steep it might be for me. I followed my gut and turned around and went up the other side. Saw pictures on insta that some people brought their kids in there and had no problems, but didn’t want to take the chance since I was alone. Will definitely be coming back soon just to make it through or trade off watching the kiddo. I went on on weekday morning and hardly anybody on the trail, I’m sure it’s busy on the weekend though so start early or early evening for a sunset view.

Very cool trail! The trails that go under the freeway are temporarily closed while they work on the overpass. The slot canyon is strenuous but fun, great place for photos.

Very nice!

Very pleasant easy hike with patches of shade, a bit of water, and birds.

Busy on weekends but still a nice walk

I love this trail! Make sure to bring bug spray though, the mosquitoes are voracious!

Great little trail! Took our 3 teens and they really enjoyed climbing they the canyon. Hidden gem in the hills of solana beach. Easy parking, trail is well marked and pet friendly up to climbing but you can turn back w your dog. Glad we took the time to check it out!

alot of fun. the trail is supposed to be a 1 way in, 1way out. so when you get to the sign... go to the right through the canyon, not the viewpoint. unless you just want to look out from the viewpoint. when you get into the narrows, you will understand why its a 1 way trip. but alot of fun. can do it over n over.

Great for when you want to just do a quick trip!

Very fun hike. Perfect for kids.

Not a bad hike! Very sandy though. While dogs are allowed on a leash they aren’t allowed in the slot canyon. There’s not a sign that tells you no dogs in the slot canyon until you’re already in. Plus it’d be difficult to go with a dog in the canyon anyways.

Short but easy trail.. had lots of fun with my group!!

Nice hike but kind of creepy is too alone

First time here. Came with the wife and 3 friends. A short but fun little hike. Did the loop twice. Would definitely come back.

Hiked this trail for the first time over the weekend with my 7 year old daughter! We had a blast! Definitely will be going back.

Fun family hike. Even my 14 year old boy liked it.

Kids loved it and hiked the loop twice.

Quick but cool

Awesome adventure with my kiddos. We went through the slot canyon and mushroom caves twice. The rest of the trail is flat but the lower portion has nice views of the salt marsh.

Fun, short but sweet hike. Took the loop twice.

Short and sweet. A hidden gem.

I’ve done this hike twice in 2 weeks—once with my dog and the following weekend with my 10 yo son. I recommend going without a dog because you cannot take a dog through the canyon area. You can only take a dog up to the view area at the top, but you miss out on the awesome canyon experience. My son really enjoyed going thru the canyon and climbing up to the top using the ladder. The reason that this is not 5 stars is that there wasn’t too much to the hike once you did the canyon. The rest of the trails were pretty flat and nothing special. I’d definitely recommend it though. Kids especially will love it.

lots of fun . 45. minutes in and out through the salt marsh

Getting here has become a major pain!! Two points of entry are shut down, however once you finally get to the trail the canyon is superb and well worth it. Had no idea something like that was sitting right in my backyard!

SO COOL! The actual canyon part is so amazing and not too challenging, but still a good work out! I loved seeing what everyone had carved into the sides and climbing up the ladder.

Link to Orilla side closed due to freeway construction, lame. Otherwise Annie’s Canyon rocked.

cool hike.. the narrow canyon is amazing !

This is a heavily used trail, but it was nice. I will go back when the construction is over.