Annies Canyon and Rios Avenue Trail

Annies Canyon and Rios Avenue Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Solana Beach, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A beautiful backdrop wherever you go, the San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve has amazing views to offer every which way you look. Do be careful of rattlesnakes and mountain lions as this is an active ecological site. Dogs must be kept on a leash, and half of the trails (east of the I-5 freeway) are open to horse back riders as well.

Loved it! :)

unique canyon hike with some pretty impressive rock formations. you can hear the cars on the highway in some parts, but worth it!

Pretty easy hike. Going through the canyon slot was cool. We originally wanted to get there via La Orilla trail but due to construction near the I-5 we couldn’t.

We hiked up the moderate side first and then the sandstone canyon side. Both go to the same top location but the canyon side is much more narrow and steep. I didn’t see One so maybe there should be a NO DOGS sign at the bottom of the slot canyon side. There was a sign about half way up. The couple behind us brought their dog and ended up having to carry it up the ladder part. Very lovely trail overall and we will hike it again soon.

Very unique hike. A must do in north county.

Great trail took my 8 and 10 year old and it was not too difficult for them. Wish it was longer :-)

Surprised narrow canyon walk

The majority of the hike is fairly flat and quite easy, with beautiful lagoon views and lots of nature. The actual slot canyon trail is strenuous, but short, and the family enjoyed it so much that we went through a second time.

There were great elevations on the Annie's Trail that we took. At the top are beautiful caves and caverns. Finding the trail head is a challenge. We needed a local to find it.

this hike is great for the casual walker, but with the traffic noise and construction it is loud and annoying. the canyon is closed due to maintenance and only open on weekends. If that. i was so disappointed All Trails need to update their site. I was up early to go do this on my day off and I'm very disappointed

Easy short hike. Really like the narrow path going to the top. We did encounter a big rattle snake like others. But it just slithered into the brush. Parking is limited.

This hike is an easy one. saw a very large rattlesnake cross a path. He wanted nothing to do with us. very well maintained. Go early parking is limited. Going up thru the rock formation was fun considering I'm slightly claustrophobic. I was glad I did it, all while carrying my 16 yr old Chihuahua on my back. wear bug spray.

We had so much fun hiking here. It's very cool hiking trail. Enjoy hiking here

fun little hike. the construction doesn't allow you to go the whole way but the view point on Annie's trail is nice. you can smell the ocean air and it was breezy. about 1.5 miles. easy hike.

The Rios Ave trail is pretty cool itself but Annie's Canyon is where it's at. Definitely take the "strenuous" route when you get to the sign for Annie's. You'll get to experience slot canyon hiking which was absolutely amazing. Some technical type areas in the way of squeezing through and grabbing foot/hand holds but I would imagine just about anyone could accomplish this. A couple high step ups were a little difficult(I'm 5'4) but was still able to get up. It's an absolute blast and you feel so accomplished when you get to the top. Views from the top are great. I'm not claustrophobic but at a couple spots felt a little closed in but it's not too far to the top so just keep calm and you'll be fine. As long as you mind your foot placement it's not too difficult. If you don't want to do the slot canyon, head to the left at the sign and it's a normal hiking trail with the benefit of the same end point up at the top. I can't wait to do Annie's canyon again.

We love coming to Annie's canyon, the sign says strenuous but if your in decent shape it's doable. It gets easier every time:). Watch out for mosquitos, I came home with no less than 8 bites ew. EDIT: As a big girl, I made it through the narrow slots. So, if your worried you can't squeeze thru- you probably can.

This trail scenic and family friendly. I took my six year old daughter on the Rio Ave to Annie's Canyon loop and she made it no problem. I can't wait for the rest of the trail to open after construction.

One of the great easy hikes in San Diego County.

This was a really nice place to hike. Thay were doing some trail work so I was only able to hike the back side. I saw lots of birds and rabbits along the trail.

This is a beautiful and very easy hike along the lagoon. Lots of wildflowers to see as well as birds (herons, ducks) in the water. When you get to the sign for Annie's Canyon, choose the 'strenuous one way' rather than the 'moderate view point'. You won't be disappointed! This is where you will climb through a very narrow and winding rock formation. Warning if you are claustrophobic- it's very narrow! So much fun though. It's sandy and steep in parts but there are lots of foot holes. Very enjoyable