Annies Canyon and Rios Avenue Trail

Annies Canyon and Rios Avenue Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Solana Beach, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A beautiful backdrop wherever you go, the San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve has amazing views to offer every which way you look. Do be careful of rattlesnakes and mountain lions as this is an active ecological site. Dogs must be kept on a leash, and half of the trails (east of the I-5 freeway) are open to horse back riders as well.

Fun, short but sweet hike. Took the loop twice.

Short and sweet. A hidden gem.

I’ve done this hike twice in 2 weeks—once with my dog and the following weekend with my 10 yo son. I recommend going without a dog because you cannot take a dog through the canyon area. You can only take a dog up to the view area at the top, but you miss out on the awesome canyon experience. My son really enjoyed going thru the canyon and climbing up to the top using the ladder. The reason that this is not 5 stars is that there wasn’t too much to the hike once you did the canyon. The rest of the trails were pretty flat and nothing special. I’d definitely recommend it though. Kids especially will love it.

lots of fun . 45. minutes in and out through the salt marsh

Getting here has become a major pain!! Two points of entry are shut down, however once you finally get to the trail the canyon is superb and well worth it. Had no idea something like that was sitting right in my backyard!

SO COOL! The actual canyon part is so amazing and not too challenging, but still a good work out! I loved seeing what everyone had carved into the sides and climbing up the ladder.

Link to Orilla side closed due to freeway construction, lame. Otherwise Annie’s Canyon rocked.

cool hike.. the narrow canyon is amazing !

This is a heavily used trail, but it was nice. I will go back when the construction is over.

Short, but sweet!

Loved it! Great trail and the look out point is awesome!

It’s a fun place.

Loved it! :)

unique canyon hike with some pretty impressive rock formations. you can hear the cars on the highway in some parts, but worth it!

Pretty easy hike. Going through the canyon slot was cool. We originally wanted to get there via La Orilla trail but due to construction near the I-5 we couldn’t.

We hiked up the moderate side first and then the sandstone canyon side. Both go to the same top location but the canyon side is much more narrow and steep. I didn’t see One so maybe there should be a NO DOGS sign at the bottom of the slot canyon side. There was a sign about half way up. The couple behind us brought their dog and ended up having to carry it up the ladder part. Very lovely trail overall and we will hike it again soon.

Very unique hike. A must do in north county.

Great trail took my 8 and 10 year old and it was not too difficult for them. Wish it was longer :-)

Surprised narrow canyon walk

The majority of the hike is fairly flat and quite easy, with beautiful lagoon views and lots of nature. The actual slot canyon trail is strenuous, but short, and the family enjoyed it so much that we went through a second time.

There were great elevations on the Annie's Trail that we took. At the top are beautiful caves and caverns. Finding the trail head is a challenge. We needed a local to find it.

this hike is great for the casual walker, but with the traffic noise and construction it is loud and annoying. the canyon is closed due to maintenance and only open on weekends. If that. i was so disappointed All Trails need to update their site. I was up early to go do this on my day off and I'm very disappointed

Easy short hike. Really like the narrow path going to the top. We did encounter a big rattle snake like others. But it just slithered into the brush. Parking is limited.

This hike is an easy one. saw a very large rattlesnake cross a path. He wanted nothing to do with us. very well maintained. Go early parking is limited. Going up thru the rock formation was fun considering I'm slightly claustrophobic. I was glad I did it, all while carrying my 16 yr old Chihuahua on my back. wear bug spray.

We had so much fun hiking here. It's very cool hiking trail. Enjoy hiking here

fun little hike. the construction doesn't allow you to go the whole way but the view point on Annie's trail is nice. you can smell the ocean air and it was breezy. about 1.5 miles. easy hike.

The Rios Ave trail is pretty cool itself but Annie's Canyon is where it's at. Definitely take the "strenuous" route when you get to the sign for Annie's. You'll get to experience slot canyon hiking which was absolutely amazing. Some technical type areas in the way of squeezing through and grabbing foot/hand holds but I would imagine just about anyone could accomplish this. A couple high step ups were a little difficult(I'm 5'4) but was still able to get up. It's an absolute blast and you feel so accomplished when you get to the top. Views from the top are great. I'm not claustrophobic but at a couple spots felt a little closed in but it's not too far to the top so just keep calm and you'll be fine. As long as you mind your foot placement it's not too difficult. If you don't want to do the slot canyon, head to the left at the sign and it's a normal hiking trail with the benefit of the same end point up at the top. I can't wait to do Annie's canyon again.

We love coming to Annie's canyon, the sign says strenuous but if your in decent shape it's doable. It gets easier every time:). Watch out for mosquitos, I came home with no less than 8 bites ew. EDIT: As a big girl, I made it through the narrow slots. So, if your worried you can't squeeze thru- you probably can.

Monday, May 22, 2017

This trail scenic and family friendly. I took my six year old daughter on the Rio Ave to Annie's Canyon loop and she made it no problem. I can't wait for the rest of the trail to open after construction.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

One of the great easy hikes in San Diego County.