Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Presidio Park Loop is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California. The trail is good for all skill levels and is primarily used for walking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 370 feet Route Type: Loop

city walk

historic site

This is a very nice, very urban trail. It needs a little love from city Parks and rec, but if it got it it would be a jewel.

just weirdness i tell you. if you enter the park from Taylor Street it is filled with only the locals that seem to have they're clicks and all they do up there is drink and drug. the trails are pretty simple but have to watch your footing around the edges. be careful. and lots of homeless hang out there as well but they seem pretty harmless.

If you try and follow the exact path on the app it’s basically impossible. The walk takes you through homeless camps and drug dens. It could be a pretty walk if trash wasn’t so abundant. Shady characters around this area so I would recommend walking with a partner or group and maybe bring some pepper spray. Checked this off the list, but no need to do it again.

Fairly easy trail. Make sure to use the app, or download the trail map, as the trail isn’t marked well. Found it difficult to even keep track of where the trail actually goes, due to all the branching paths. Watch out if you decide to go early. Lots of homeless, and druggies, as I could smell someone smoking meth on some parts of the trail.

got up early to hike and the trail is a bit creepy in the dark. had to closely follow the app tracker in order to find the path a few times. parts of the trail were in decent condition while other parts were over grown and tough to follow. a short distance into the hike and there is a section that is closed all together so you have to forge your own path until you can meet up with the trail again. overall? would not do this hike again but I am glad I was able to get in a hike before heading back to AZ.

It was my first hike embarking on my list of hikes due to the easiness. There are multiple openings where you may park to access the loop, either by the Park on on Jackson or under the Museum by Taylor St. The lots are rarely packed, the trail is very narrow as you can see in the photos, and there is an incline but many residents will pass you by hiking with their dogs. Around the museum area there’s a bit of trash around so don’t litter, plan on holding your trash in a bag until a parking lot trash bin. Around the Taylor St entrance there might be a one or two homeless people sleeping but they are usually minding themselves and out of the way, just be prepared with flashlight and charged electronics around the night time, down by the grass area there are a few small bridges. This trail is definitely quiet, I arrived around 08:00 on a Saturday in the August and I only passed one or two people on the whole trail. Restrooms are accessible by the parking lots and museums. A friendlier side to park if you have a family with many small ones is to park right in front of the musuem, no fee and not at all busy, but one of the best maintained. There are a few benches and tables for people to park and eat some lunch under beautiful tall trees around the Witches Tower. Overall I say a great short easy hike for beginners, very quiet, you could jog if you choose and are familiar with the routes, checkpoints and signage are very scarce.

This park could be so much more with some attention and TLC from parks and rec.

Nice trail, but it could use some maintenance. Some overgrown spots (mainly weeds) and lots of litter. Also, the trail isn’t totally true in app. I found myself backtracking a couple times—I prefer to keep my eyes on the trail rather than my phone—like when the “trail” crosses a wide, grassy lawn. This trail travels up, down, and around the prominence upon which The Presidio sits, so there’s a bit of elevation gain and loss packed into this short hike.

Fri Feb 15 2019

Surprisingly nice little jaunt through shady Palm Canyon, up to the historic Presidio, with nice views of Mission Valley after the deluge, but it's passable and your dog will love it.

Sun Jan 06 2019

This is a beautiful park but as a woman, hiking alone with my dog I did not feel comfortable at all. There are many homeless camped out in the canyons. A man followed me to where I was standing. When I first saw him all my alarms went off so I ran to the other side of the Canyon and looked back to see if that man was where I was standing. He was. As I stood there looking at him, he looked back and began clapping loudly at me. Just weird. I called a friend to come pick me up so I wouldn’t have to walk back to my car which was parked off the Taylor st entrance. I’ve hiked all over the country alone and with friends, never felt that spooked. My advice, stick to the main park area and avoid those Canyons until something is done about the homeless encampments.

Sat Nov 10 2018

Hard to find the trail path and stay on it. Lots of homeless around and the trail was dirty. Lots of trash everywhere. Probably won’t do this one again!

Mon May 28 2018

Update: Upgrading my review to 3 stars, since as of 6/5/18, the trailhead has been cleaned up! There were no cars parked in the lot, no one living/camping there, and the area around the bathrooms was pristine. I did see a rental bike down along the trail but didn’t investigate to see if there was anyone there. So I’m not sure if it’s completely safe now, but it looks much better than a couple weeks ago. Original 1-star review: While Presidio Park is absolutely gorgeous, and I enjoy walking near the Junipero Serra Museum, this was my first time using the designated trailhead off Taylor St, and I did not like it. Two out of five cars parked at the trailhead were clearly being lived in, and I felt uncomfortable as the occupants watched me park and walk toward the trail. I saw cots, sleeping bags, and junk strewn about behind the bathrooms. I started walking down the trail anyway, figuring that the trail itself would be fine (I picked the one branching off to the left), but a few steps in, a man jumped out of his camp in the bushes and onto the trail a short distance ahead of me. At that point, I felt spooked, returned to my car, and left. I don't mean any disrespect to those down on their luck, but as a woman hiking alone on this particular day, I was uncomfortable. Until the trailhead is cleaned up, this one's a NOPE for me. I'll gladly return to the area near the Junipero Serra Museum, but not the Taylor St. trailhead.